ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

General Musings thread

Spen

There is no direct route between Baltimore and Rockville... Always surprises me and annoys me!

There are a lot of people in my office who are from the Baltimore area too. Luckily we are closer to Gaithersburg than Bethesda, so the ICC is a huge help. In fact you could get from Fed Hill to our area in Rockville in 45 minutes, it's a straight shot down 95 to the ICC. Anywhere else in Baltimore and it's much more difficult. I couldn't even imagine trying to commute to the NRC or FDA areas of Rockville where you have to use 495. Or even worse going to NIH in Bethesda.

I know the ICC helped a ton. I remember having multiple interview in that area when I graduated from college... before the ICC I was going all the way out 70 to some Hicksville highway and trying to slide down next to 270... Ugh

Musing... The IBEW (international brotherhood of electrical workers) is running an ad promoting their US-first production lines and how good those american workers are.

I think they've lost a bit of their original purpose.

I take 695W-70W-29S-200W. In the morning it is not bad, takes an hour. Going home it can take up to an hour and a half with 29N traffic, the bottleneck on 70E to 695N and 695N traffic past Pikesville. I have at least tried to make the commute time productive by doing Pimsleur Spanish lessons.

I work all over Montgomery County every day. Basically from Potomac to Frederick. When I can, I try to go home via rt 70. I know what you mean about the bottle neck at 70 and 695. I miss that because I go to the right to Catonsville and miss it but that has to be a horror after a long day and long ride home.

200 is a time and life saver. I also prefer 29 to 95.

I refuse to get caught up in the insane "in-a-hurry with no regard for life" driving habits. The right hand lanes are now passing lanes for the 75-80 mph swerving drivers. When you do 70 mph you are literally having cars blow by you on the right and left. To move into the right hand lane is now a death defying experience. The morons think they are getting to work faster. But do the math on 65 vs 75 mph and factor in the traffic lights and grid lock on 495....you just can't save any real time. The truth is that maybe they can gain 3-5 minutes. The insanity is that for them, human life, permanent, crippling injury is worth gaining these 3-5 minutes.

You also are now taking your life risk if you drive the safe braking distance behind the car in front of you. This is an open invitation for 587 drivers to pull in front of you or to use that opening to swerve across 3 lanes. If the car in front of you hits their brakes, PILEUP!!!!!

A huge portion of the human population in this country are self centered jerks....and they don't know it.

I work all over Montgomery County every day. Basically from Potomac to Frederick. When I can, I try to go home via rt 70. I know what you mean about the bottle neck at 70 and 695. I miss that because I go to the right to Catonsville and miss it but that has to be a horror after a long day and long ride home.

I refuse to get caught up in the insane "in-a-hurry with no regard for life" driving habits. The right hand lanes are now passing lanes for the 75-80 mph swerving drivers. When you do 70 mph you are literally having cars blow by you on the right and left. To move into the right hand lane is now a death defying experience. The morons think they are getting to work faster. But do the math on 65 vs 75 mph and factor in the traffic lights and grid lock on 495....you just can't save any real time. The truth is that maybe they can gain 3-5 minutes. The insanity is that for them, human life, permanent, crippling injury is worth gaining these 3-5 minutes.

You also are now taking your life risk if you drive the safe braking distance behind the car in front of you. This is an open invitation for 587 drivers to pull in front of you or to use that opening to swerve across 3 lanes. If the car in front of you hits their brakes, PILEUP!!!!!

A huge portion of the human population in this country are self centered jerks....and they don't know it.

I worked in Rockville for over two years and also had to drive to Silver Spring and Bethesda at least once a week; these from Parkville and Essex. I had to do the 95/895 route for the longest time, until I got sick and tired of paying those tolls and going around the Beltway on the west side like you guys. Those awful jams are unavoidable, whether at 70/695, 95 @ 100 (and then 95 @ 695 NE), etc. It's miserable.

I know exactly what you mean, max. I am amazed every morning there aren't MORE fatal accidents with how aggressive people are. I rarely drive above 70 on my daily drives. Isn't worth it in the long run.

I was so fortunate not to have to deal with that west side headache .I worked in downtown for 6 years then in Arbutus for 5 years but my hours were noon to 9 pm so I had no traffic to deal with, then 18 years in hunt valley

Edited by cravnravn

years and years ago

I got the remedy for any traffic jams or backups

I was somewhere near DC Baltimore and I asked a girl next to me how long will this last?

she said Forever, but take this it will help pass the time.

she handed me a bottle of bubbles :thumbup:

Amazing reactions from the bubbles

older people and younger ones enjoyed them

some were happy for the lovely change stuck in traffic

of course

you had the asshole who hated the soap spots getting on his car LOL

to this day I still have a bottle of bubbles in my cars

• Upvote 1

years and years ago

I got the remedy for any traffic jams or backups

I was somewhere near DC Baltimore and I asked a girl next to me how long will this last?

she said Forever, but take this it will help pass the time.

she handed me a bottle of bubbles :thumbup:

Amazing reactions from the bubbles

older people and younger ones enjoyed them

some were happy for the lovely change stuck in traffic

of course

you had the asshole who hated the soap spots getting on his car LOL

to this day I still have a bottle of bubbles in my cars

Haha that's an awesome story.

• Upvote 1