ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Flacco-Rasta

Tornado700

There are no sure things in the NFL. I cant imagine the "luck" of drafting a Andrew Luck with the Ravens picks always coming in around 20 and above. This team can/has won with Joe, image if Oz actually invested in drafting top end TEs and WR's. Knowing this year he'll go with CB's and DB's and I cant blame him.

I'm curious as to what you think "Inconsistent Joe Flacco" is referring to. The way he dresses???

How about when he is thorwing with bad mechanics and his accuracy suffers for it. Or the times when he makes weird and strange decisions.

There are no sure things in the NFL. I cant imagine the "luck" of drafting a Andrew Luck with the Ravens picks always coming in around 20 and above. This team can/has won with Joe, image if Oz actually invested in drafting top end TEs and WR's. Knowing this year he'll go with CB's and DB's and I cant blame him.

Or the Ravens could do when they see a shiny apple on the horizon what Indy did and eat the season. Do the full rebuild and accumulate every pick they can get.

Or the Ravens could do when they see a shiny apple on the horizon what Indy did and eat the season. Do the full rebuild and accumulate every pick they can get.

I remember when a couple individuals wanted us to throw a season so we had a chance to draft Manziel.

Why on earth would you think this team needs a "full rebuild"?

Why would you need to throw a season for him? I knew he would not be #1. I also still think he can be great but he has to dedicate himself to the game.

This was after his freshman year (which corresponded to when we were offering Joe his contract). Now that I think about It, it was more about giving up the farm in draft picks to move up for him and not throwing a season per say...although I believe part of the grand plan was bringing in some journeyman vet to hold down the starting job until our savior arrived (maybe Delhomme???).

I now remember the poster was GeRastamo.

This was after his freshman year (which corresponded to when we were offering Joe his contract). Now that I think about It, it was more about giving up the farm in draft picks to move up for him and not throwing a season per say...although I believe part of the grand plan was bringing in some journeyman vet to hold down the starting job until our savior arrived (maybe Delhomme???).

I now remember the poster was GeRastamo.

No you don't. You trade guys who have value as they are ready to get their big paydays and build picks up.

No you don't. You trade guys who have value as they are ready to get their big paydays and build picks up.

No you don't??? I'm telling you what the ridiculous plan was to part ways with Joe and bring in our savior Manziel. What the hell are you saying "No you don't" to?

Papa, two thoughts linger when you bring up this plan:

1. The Ravens have been on the brink of needing to rebuild for 7+ years now, but the continue to make it happen regardless. Maybe that "rebuild" year is less necessary than you think.

2. Perhaps as an answer to why #1 has been true. I don't disagree that the grow and trade model is needed at times, but sometimes we have to play that econ game again... The trades you always want require trading known commodities for unknowns and potential. What happens when potential misses? Maybe finding a good receiver or defensive tackle is possible with some certainty each year, but not sure what the is are we get a great qb or db. So how frequently can you do it and be successful?

In short, sometimes you have to spend money. The Ravens have had some solid success in the recent past figuring out which pieces are hard to replace and which can maybe be found in an undrafted class or on a waiver... So why put up such a fight to what's worked while it's working?

As I always say, predicting doom and gloom is easy if your definition of doom is not winning it all. You will be right 31/32 times.

No you don't??? I'm telling you what the ridiculous plan was to part ways with Joe and bring in our savior Manziel. What the hell are you saying "No you don't" to?

Manziel was only loooked at as a really high pick for a short time. A really high pick was never going to be needed.

Papa, two thoughts linger when you bring up this plan:

1. The Ravens have been on the brink of needing to rebuild for 7+ years now, but the continue to make it happen regardless. Maybe that "rebuild" year is less necessary than you think.

2. Perhaps as an answer to why #1 has been true. I don't disagree that the grow and trade model is needed at times, but sometimes we have to play that econ game again... The trades you always want require trading known commodities for unknowns and potential. What happens when potential misses? Maybe finding a good receiver or defensive tackle is possible with some certainty each year, but not sure what the is are we get a great qb or db. So how frequently can you do it and be successful?

In short, sometimes you have to spend money. The Ravens have had some solid success in the recent past figuring out which pieces are hard to replace and which can maybe be found in an undrafted class or on a waiver... So why put up such a fight to what's worked while it's working?

As I always say, predicting doom and gloom is easy if your definition of doom is not winning it all. You will be right 31/32 times.

I think the Ravens could have been in the elite burying other teams for yrs had they bit the bullet. Keeping Rice was dumb. Now people are really coming around to where I have seen them for many yrs now. Now people are seeing how Suggs is not the guy he once was. There have been many of these guys I have brought up for awhile now.

But the question still remains, "how replaceable?"

Rice? I think we've seen on this team and many others, RBs might be the most replaceable part.

Suggs? Is argue harder to replace with certainty. Can you find a pass rusher? Sure. But one who can play as complete a game as T? Harder.

Yes, we could have traded or not signed these guys and had money for... What exactly? And could we have actually found suitable replacement who would pan out in the draft or else? Not convinced.

Papa- We are going to New England in the divisional round. We beat Pittsburgh in a huge upset. We are of just 8 teams left in the playoffs. We are playing at a high level after a disastrous season with Ray Rice and all the injuries. Man, this is a cinderella story. What are you complaining about? Why are you bad mouthing these guys? What is wrong with you?

It is risk but playing safe doesn't get you to be at that killer level.

It is risk but playing safe doesn't get you to be at that killer level.

In this day and she of football there is no one out there playimng at a killer level, maybe the ravens are the closest to it over the past 5 years. Not Seattle either..

Papa- We are going to New England in the divisional round. We beat Pittsburgh in a huge upset. We are of just 8 teams left in the playoffs. We are playing at a high level after a disastrous season with Ray Rice and all the injuries. Man, this is a cinderella story. What are you complaining about? Why are you bad mouthing these guys? What is wrong with you?

You're writing to him like he's a fan. He's not.

This is total horse shit. Indy didn't suck on purpose to get Luck. They had no one to replace Peyton Manning when he got injured. Do you think the FO approached Jim Caldwell and told him we want you to lose every game so we can get the #1 pick and draft Luck but oh by the way we will fire you at the end of the season for losing. No team will ever lose on purpose in order to get a higher draft pick as the draft is such a crap shoot. For every Manning there is a Leaf, for every Luck there is a RGIII, for every Flacco there is a Ryan.

I think we should petition some NFL teams to get Papa an interview for one of the open GM spots. Can you imagine the interview with the owner?

Owner: "So tell me how you intend to turn us into a winner and get us a Superbowl?"

Papa: "I start by trading every player with any value for draft picks"

Owner: "I don't think other teams will give up a lot of picks for aging Vets with big contracts."

Papa: "There will always be an idiot GM that I can Jedi Mind trick into giving up a 1st round pick for a player. If I had been Ravens GM I would have got a 1st round pick for Boldin when he was traded to the 49ers."

Owner: "Wow, impressive what else would you do to improve the team?"

Papa: "I would tank the next couple of seasons so we can get the #1 draft pick and draft a can't miss QB."

Owner: "What!?! We can't do that the fan base would stop coming to the games and we would lose money."

Papa: "Don't worry about losing money, I would have traded you for a 1st round pick to another team that would still be making money."

Owner: "Great, you are hired."

• Upvote 3

So you think the Panthers have a real shot. OK. I will give you odds on them winning the SB.

This is total horse shit. Indy didn't suck on purpose to get Luck. They had no one to replace Peyton Manning when he got injured. Do you think the FO approached Jim Caldwell and told him we want you to lose every game so we can get the #1 pick and draft Luck but oh by the way we will fire you at the end of the season for losing. No team will ever lose on purpose in order to get a higher draft pick as the draft is such a crap shoot. For every Manning there is a Leaf, for every Luck there is a RGIII, for every Flacco there is a Ryan.

I think we should petition some NFL teams to get Papa an interview for one of the open GM spots. Can you imagine the interview with the owner?

Owner: "So tell me how you intend to turn us into a winner and get us a Superbowl?"

Papa: "I start by trading every player with any value for draft picks"

Owner: "I don't think other teams will give up a lot of picks for aging Vets with big contracts."

Papa: "There will always be an idiot GM that I can Jedi Mind trick into giving up a 1st round pick for a player. If I had been Ravens GM I would have got a 1st round pick for Boldin when he was traded to the 49ers."

Owner: "Wow, impressive what else would you do to improve the team?"

Papa: "I would tank the next couple of seasons so we can get the #1 draft pick and draft a can't miss QB."

Owner: "What!?! We can't do that the fan base would stop coming to the games and we would lose money."

Papa: "Don't worry about losing money, I would have traded you for a 1st round pick to another team that would still be making money."

Owner: "Great, you are hired."

So when Peyton went down and they weren't sure he could play you don't think they didn't put their players in a position not to succeed that season. They were awful that yr.

So you think the Panthers have a real shot. OK. I will give you odds on them winning the SB.

So when Peyton went down and they weren't sure he could play you don't think they didn't put their players in a position not to succeed that season. They were awful that yr.

The colts never had a serviceable back up for pay pay, Jim sorgi couldn't qb northern high to a victory.

Exactly, he was horrible after his stint at qb he was done with the NFL, I think what zona did was remarkable, as I feel we would win a few with tyrod back there, but just a few.

The colts had so much tied up with pay pay freeney Mathias, and others that they paid no attention to the back up qb position and rolled the dice, came up snake eyes caus it cost Caldwell his job, sorgi a job and in reality pay pay his job.

Look at Zona. they went 3 deep and still won games. The long time backup is that pathetic he couldn't manage a team that was pretty well set up? Come on.

Wait, you can't use Zona... they aren't your model. They had a little success one year as they rifled through QBs due to injury... but where's that "killer instinct?"

I assume that NE is your model of how to franchise, or at least the closest thing to it that exists. My question is: how would they fare for a year without Brady? (Hint: we know the answer from history and from logic)

All I'm saying is that theory is great, but reality messes with theory in all kinds of funny ways that aren't always so pleasant. You want the Ravens or some team to have that "killer instinct" and be on top of the pile 9 out of 10 seasons. I would argue the Ravens are pretty much there. You can grumble about not actually making the Super Bowl or winning it - but no team has really had the level of success you want or discuss. In the end, if you're consistent in your approach, the Patriots system has failed every year since their last SB victory (05?). Despite "dominance" in so many ways and so consistently, they underperform in the big ones.

So what do you want? And how many teams can actually be that good that long? If every team followed your rules, every team would be that good - which means every team would also be that bad. So there's not really an out here.