ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Week 1 Results

oldno82

Positives:

Mike Wallace can still get open and has burner speed.

Perriman showed character when out muscled a defender on a catch for a major gain.

Flacco had a super first half.

The defense played stoutly for 4 quarters and pretty much limited Sammy Watkins.

Negatives:

They once again abandoned the running game too early.

Flacco didn't show much in the 2nd half. Appears reluctant to leave the pocket.

Offensive line play let in too much pressure in the second half

Still making dumb mistakes on offense including Marshall Yanda

Didn't force any turnovers

Suggs didn't have any explosiveness

I have no idea, still, as to what to expect down the road. The offense has to show they can stay sharp for a whole game. The defense is much improved from last season. Hester didn't do much of anything...is that due to no lanes open or is he just old?

Pretty much as expected for a team with new parts, young lines; inconsistency.

The play calling not bad, especially considering they only had two backs healthy and active. Not happy with the play choice on 4th down...

Second half was filled with four men beating the five man young line of the Ravens, difficult to find open receivers. On one instance, the back ran right past the blitzing corner to go out on a route..

Watkins was held in check only because of the scheme, single safety really high favored to his side.

The defensive line ran out of gas in the 3rd, but got refuled in the 4th, they held a lead!

Flacco was super until that knee started bothering him in the 2nd half, low throws...

Hey a win is a win, the Browns up next, they look worse than the Bills, so there is hope.

Oh and yes, he shall now be named; Perriman, made the great catch, couldn't make the difficult one, but he staid healthy...

Oh and other than Tucker & Koch, special teams were anything but....

Hester had no running lanes, the punts were very high to allow defenders to get downfield.

Ravens run D had a great day. Bills have the #1 rushing offense....they averaged 150+ yards per game. They limited them to 65 yards on 24 carries for a 2.7 ypc.

Bills QB Tyrod Taylor says the Ravens "got exotic" on third and long plays and showed Bills new looks on defense. He also says Ravens shut down running game early.

Watkins held to 4 catches for 43 yards and 0 TD's. That's damn good.

Joe was rusty. It's been awhile and he had time to throw but was to slow reading the field. That caused 3 of the sacks. What was important is he protected the ball, didn't make the costly turnover ...or throw into tight coverage....and the Bill DB's did a good job covering the Ravens receivers....but....not good enough. Enter Wallace....he has me real excited. Joe is getting a relationship with him....and when he gets one with Perriman look out! :gorave: Perriman only targeted twice.

Steve Smith was explosive and making sharp cuts....can't tell he had a horrendous injury.

Joe conected with 10 different receivers. He's not sure where to go yet. Defenses aren't too.

The running game was deceptive. It looked effective, but 28 carries, 80 yards, 3 ypc???...but that was against a good run defense that was committed to stopping the run. Forsett had a good game and nothing was lost when West entered the game. The O line does not look like a good run blocking line but maybe that's due to the Bills D.

Sloppy O line penalties.

Lot of Bills fans at the game. That's what you get after a 5-11 season. Cracks in the purple door.

It wasn't 100% win ugly.

It was a very important week 1 victory and that's what matters.

Edited by vmax

There was a lot of good things that happened. After all, the Bills were giving a lot of teams trouble last year.

We did a pretty good job of limiting Tyrod too.

In this game, at least, it appeared to me that Suggs was having trouble setting the edge. But before I write him off, I need to see a couple more games.

Tsylv, did Joe say he's knee was bothering him in the second half?If so, that would explain a lot.

Suggs did have trouble setting the edge.

Let's give Pees credit....

As a result, a Buffalo offense that had 24 touchdowns of 20 or more yards last year couldn't come even close to resembling that unit against the Ravens.

"They did really well shutting us down on third-down plays," McCoy said. "They had a number of third-down packages that surprised us, and they were structured very well."...https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/09/11/defense-saves-sputtering-ravens-in-13-7-win-over-bills

Oldno, I did not hear Joe say it, but by his stance, the way the ball was diving low on him, it was pretty clear to me.

I thought Tyrod played tentatively, he is a far better runner than he showed today. It looked to me as if he wanted to win with his arm, not his legs.

Well it's certainly possible. I don't know if you fully recover from his injury in one year. The Bills D really brought a lot of pressure in the second half. Could be that too plus Joe feeling immobile with the brace on.

Oh...they had an eagle fly over the field and the American flag during the pregame ceremonies. That was awesome to watch. Very memorable.

Still not enough tv's in that stadium. Price for a Ravens jersey??? Criminal.

Play calling was great the 1st half IMO. They had aggression and attacked deep. Then the 2nd half kicked in and they went all Cavenaugh. Case in point... the 4th down play (I know West was held) you basically take all your WRs and TEs and render them useless and place the fate of the down on your QB and RB. On another play they do a bubble screen to Steve Smith. I know the guy is tough and fights but he's easily your slowest WR and coming off an injury. Joe never seems comfortable in Shotgun and he seemed in it 90% of the game. The Oline has lost its toughness in exchange for Castillos finesse zone run.

The Bills were very lucky, for the Ravens kept pulling out that gun and aiming for their own feet.

Not sure who it was on the punt cover that stood there and watch the other guy catch the ball then run away from him. He needs a ticket on a train to no where.

Just a wonder. If the Bills get beat by the Jets 0-2. Very hot for upper NY state.

And Bill fans are worse then Steeler fans.

The offense is Maddingly Consistent in their Inconsistency. They go from looking elite to pop warner and back again in the same series nevermind the same game. It was rolling in the 1st half but the aggressive play calls dried up and we stopped moving the ball.

I'm shocked about how good the D looked. I'm not a Pees fan but he has about 5 or 6 games like this each season that seems to keep him in a job.

The offense is Maddingly Consistent in their Inconsistency. They go from looking elite to pop warner and back again in the same series nevermind the same game. It was rolling in the 1st half but the aggressive play calls dried up and we stopped moving the ball.

I'm shocked about how good the D looked. I'm not a Pees fan but he has about 5 or 6 games like this each season that seems to keep him in a job.

Well...they got off to their consistent slow start.

And Hey! 3 points in the second half! :gorave:

And OMG Robjr83....Cavanaugh!

It took me years of therapy to forget that name.

Yes...in an odd sort of way,he set Ravens offensive records and made Mat Stover a hero.

This ones for crav...

PLAYOFF CHANCES GO UP WITH A 1-0 START

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Despite the fact it possesses a mere 16 games, an NFL season has so many moving parts -- a bye week, injuries, inconsistency brought on by the parity-ridden nature of the league -- it's basic human nature to think results posted in Labor Day's shadow would be irrelevant by Christmas.

History paints quite a different picture.

Since 1978, when the league expanded to a 16-game regular-season schedule, 288 teams that won their Week One games went on to reach the postseason, with 173 of those squads taking division titles.

But only 134 of the teams that started 0-1 ended up playing January football, with a mere 77 of them finishing first.

In their first 20 years, the Ravens followed this same pattern by winning nine openers, losing 11, and making and missing the playoffs 10 times each.

That's what made the 13-7 win against Buffalo Sept. 11, the Ravens' first Week One win since 2012 -- the year they won their second Super Bowl -- so satisfying despite a sputtering offensive performance.....https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/09/12/for-ravens-a-week-one-win-means-everything
  • Upvote 1

Play calling was great the 1st half IMO. They had aggression and attacked deep. Then the 2nd half kicked in and they went all Cavenaugh. Case in point... the 4th down play (I know West was held) you basically take all your WRs and TEs and render them useless and place the fate of the down on your QB and RB. On another play they do a bubble screen to Steve Smith. I know the guy is tough and fights but he's easily your slowest WR and coming off an injury. Joe never seems comfortable in Shotgun and he seemed in it 90% of the game. The Oline has lost its toughness in exchange for Castillos finesse zone run.

They need to ditch that stupid dipsy-doodle "screen" to Smith. It luckily worked last year, Once! It is too obvious to work productively.

This team has never truly been able to run a screen nor a wide receiver screen consistently, effectively....