ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens' rookie minicamp will be 'cool experience' for a group of local undrafted players

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookies-0503-20130502,0,5941863.story

Ever since their season ended, former Towson quarterback Grant Enders and wide receiver Gerrard Sheppard have been honing their timing with a regular series of throwing sessions.

Now, the undrafted free agent rookies are eager to put that rapport to work at the Ravens' three-day rookie minicamp that starts today at team headquarters.

Sheppard agreed to terms on a three-year contract, while Enders is attending the minicamp on a tryout. Both had hoped to hear from the Super Bowl champions ever since taking part in the Ravens' local prospects day in March.

"It's definitely going to make it a little easier to have one of my teammates there," said Enders, an Old Mill graduate. "I've been working out with him all the time. It's always been us throwing, working on everything, and he's one of my good friends. So, that should definitely make things more comfortable.

"The Ravens have always been my favorite team growing up, and I'm still a big fan, obviously. It's really neat to have this opportunity to get a chance to play for the team I've been cheering for. It will be awesome. To be able to do some more drills and put on the pads, it should be a really cool experience."

The Ravens' undrafted free agent class carries a distinctly local flavor.

Headlined by former Maryland tight end Matt Furstenburg, the Ravens also agreed to deals with former Pennsylvania defensive end-outside linebacker Brandon Copeland (Gilman) and West Virginia offensive guard Jeff Braun (Winters Mill).

Gardner-Webb offensive lineman Steve Demilio (Severna Park) and Virginia Union cornerback Andre Kates (Surrattsville, Friendship Collegiate) accepted invitations to try out at the minicamp.

Furstenburg was the highest-rated of the Ravens' undrafted rookies and received a $10,000 signing bonus.

The New Jersey native ran the 40-yard dash in 4.62 seconds at the NFL scouting combine. Furstenburg caught 16 passes for 202 yards and two touchdowns as a senior for the Terps. He chose the Ravens over the Carolina Panthers after getting a telephone call from Ravens coach John Harbaugh.

"It's pretty great," Furstenburg said. "I talked to John Harbaugh and I thought it was a good fit and a good tight end situation."

It doesn't get any more local than Sheppard, a speedy 6-foot-3, 215-pound McDonogh graduate who lives in Owings Mills near the Ravens' offices

"It felt like I was at home when I stepped into their facility," Sheppard said. "I'm blessed to be going there and have a good friend of mine in Grant that will be there, too. It's really exciting. I'm just anxious and excited to show the coaches what I can do and play football again. I'm going to try not to make this bigger than what it is, but it's a huge opportunity.

A native of Sykesville who also attended the Ravens' local prospects day, Copeland is an All-Ivy League selection whose grandfather Roy Hilton played nine seasons for the Baltimore Colts.

"It's awesome," Copeland said. "My granddad is so excited that I'll be playing for the Ravens. He's a huge Baltimore guy. It's a blessing."

Copeland is athletic enough that he could play at several positions on defense. The 6-foot-3, 260-pounder ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 30 times with a 34 1/2 inch vertical leap.

"I had a great feeling when I worked out for them and left the facilities," Copeland said. "I couldn't predict it, but I'm very happy to be brought back. I'll play anywhere from defensive end, outside linebacker, inside linebacker, tight end or fullback. I hope to be able to help this team out and compete for a chance to play on Sundays."

Growing up in Westminster, Braun used to attend Ravens training camps every summer when they were held at McDaniel College.

Braun emphasized that he didn't choose the Ravens simply because he's a fan, though.

"I'm [as] familiar as an outsider could feel with the organization because I've followed them my whole life, but I had to make my choice based on a business decision," Braun said. "The Ravens were the first ones off the bat to call. Right after the draft, I had already talked to my agent and we got the deal done. I had a top-five list of places we wanted to go based on the coaches and the situation of that team. Baltimore was first on my list."

Demilio was an all-conference selection at Gardner-Webb who took part in an NFL regional combine at team headquarters but was snubbed for the NFL super regional combine in Dallas. The Ravens liked Demilio's speed — at 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds, he runs the 40-yard dash in about 4.9 seconds.

"I'm super excited. It's unreal," Demilio said. "I was bummed after the regional combine when I didn't get the invite to the super regional. I guess the Ravens' scouting department and coaches saw something in me that the guys running the super regional may not have seen.

"The Ravens thought I was worth bringing in. It's exciting. It's gratifying and reassuring. You get nervous. You wait for the phone to ring and then you're so excited when it finally does."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-rookies-0503-20130502,0,5941863.story?page=2&track=rss#ixzz2SGDJKJC1

I clicked on the link to see if this article really was a bunch of one and two line sentences. It sure was. The Internet has killed the paragraph.

More than paragraphs!

You've seen what I can do to a sentence.

And WORDS!!! I have new ways of spelling they are not wanting you to know!

Check this out....

British Olympian Lawrence Okoye is not the only new NFL player who barely has played football. The Baltimore Ravens signed Murphy Holloway out of Ole Miss despite the fact that Holloway hasn't played football since his sophomore year in high school.

In Holloway, the Ravens continue the NFL's impossible quest to find the next Antonio Gates off the basketball court. Holloway averaged 14.5 points and 9.7 rebounds per game for Ole Miss last season, leading the Rebels to an NCAA Tournament appearance.

He was hoping to make the NBA, but it wasn't panning out. The 6-foot-7, 250-pounder then started to get interest from NFL scouts.

"I talked to some of the scouts about football, so I thought about it, and I figure I'd give it a shot," Holloway told the Russell Street Report's Kyle Casey.

According to Casey, the Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs also wanted to sign Holloway, but the Ravens had the best plan for him at tight end. Holloway even reached out to Gates to get some tips on making the transition.

The Ravens are set up well at tight end with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson this season. If Holloway panned out, he could spend a year on the team's practice squad while re-learning the game

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000166573/article/baltimore-ravens-sign-ole-miss-basketball-player

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/03/ravens-sign-14-undrafted-rookies/

The Ravens haven’t wasted any time signing their draft picks, getting six of them under contract less than a week after the draft concluded.

They’ve also announced the signing of 14 undrafted rookie free agents who will vie for spots on the roster. Two of the most interesting names on the list are tight ends.

Matt Furstenburg stood out at the combine, posting the fastest 40 time and shuttle run of all tight ends, which led some to believe that he’d hear his name called before the end of the draft. That didn’t happen, perhaps because he didn’t get much help from tapes of him playing with some poor quarterbacks at Maryland. The Ravens also signed Murphy Holloway, who played basketball and not football at Ole Miss. That paid off with a trip to the Sweet 16 this year and a chance to follow the trail blazed by Antonio Gates many years ago. With Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta both set for unrestricted free agency after the season, there could be a spot for a young tight end on the Ravens roster next season.

The rest of the new Ravens are: West Virginia guard Jeff Braun, Florida International cornerback Jose Cheeseborough, Penn outside linebacker Brandon Copeland, Memphis tackle Jordan Devey, Tennessee State tackle Rogers Gaines, Florida wide receiver Omarius Hines, Louisiana Tech running back Ray Holley, Colorado defensive end Will Pericak, Towson wide receiver Gerrard Sheppard, Southeast Louisiana quarterback Nathan Stanley, Troy safety Bryden Trawick and Midwestern State tackle Joe Unga.

The Ravens also waived running back Lonyae Miller.