ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NFL Ratings are down

vmax

Because it's watered down football. Few franchises can build a strong football team due to parity. Who wants to watch struggling mediocrity?

It is obvious from the primetime matchups...they suck.

That wasn’t the entire company line, but the impact of the dramatic presidential election cycle was certainly a prevailing sentiment as NFL owners gathered Tuesday for their quarterly meeting and assessed the unusual and precipitous dip in TV ratings.

Assuming the results aren’t, well, rigged, NFL games – the undisputed king of U.S. sports viewing – were down 11% for the first six weeks of the season when compared to a similar point last year.......

“Obviously, the debates have had a big impact,” Houston Texans owner Robert McNair told USA TODAY Sports.

Then again, the debates represent just the biggest of several suspected factors. Tom Brady served four games in Deflategate jail. Peyton Manning retired. The younger generation is increasingly watching games or clips streamed to mobile devices. Too many penalties. Unappealing prime-time matchups. Too many prime-time matchups.

Then there are the protests. The national anthem protests by players, ignited by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s mission to raise awareness about police brutality and social justice inequalities that victimize African Americans, has been a polarizing debate of its own on the NFL’s grand stage....http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/sagging-tv-ratings-leave-nfl-owners-scrambling/ar-AAj7cIc?li=BBnb7Kz

I think it is more then just the watered down league.

You have fans like us that no matter what we will watch.

Football is American, baseball my eye, but I know some vets have said until that ungrateful so and so is put out of the NFL they will never watch another game, I am sure we all know who they mean, and this isn't just old time vets.

Before last season when all the court thing was going down about letting the air out of your balls, there was a group of fans that were getting together trying to sue the NFL over the cheating by New England. Haven't heard anything since but it is understandable how that can turn people away from the game.

Even MySpace got old

I am sure part of this, true, is due to the different platforms theory. However, I highly doubt that is the main reason.

College football is more popular than ever before. There are more televised games than there are NFL games on the tube. The game it self is faster paced, more exciting than the pro game.

While the NCAA has its own issues & detractors, people, millenials especially, are weary of the NFL machine and hypocrisy.

Factor in the slow pace of the avaerage NFL game with all their penalties and the HDHD generation loses interest quickly. The average fan will watch five college games on Saturday, & grow tired of watching football.

Then, for people like me, 50 soemthings, who grew up with NFL games, and see the level of play overall being subpar & boring. For mw personally, I know I am watching less NFL football, more college games (watching the Va Tech vs Canes game instead of the Packers vs Bears game) and my reasons are not because of any protest nor platform; I only watch games on television or in person...

Agree T, I watch the Ravens and maybe a half of the 4:00 game.

as for college football I don't watch the Saturday noon games, but I absolutely love the Saturday night 8:00 game.

Don't know if it's the weather, but I find myself less and less interested in the pro game when it's 80+ degrees out.

And as far as watching a game vs going to a game, I prefer the comforts of home rather then being there.Too many distractions at a game. That game in Jacksonville, we sat right underneath the pool that you all seen on TV. Besides the sweltering heat that day, the sight of 20 somethings hootin and hollering in clad bikinis, kinda distracted me.

One of thr many reasons the play has gotten worse over the years and thus, another reason to not watch is all the commercial breaks. They do not allow teams to develop a rhythm. Add to that, it is just plain annoying for fans. The breaks have gotten longer and far more.

A break after a score, then one after the ensuing kickoff. Heaven forbid there is an injury on the first play back from that same break... Oh the league is looking to make changes, but I won't hold my breath waitinghttp://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-nfl-tv-ratings-bears-spt-1113-20161112-story.html

I find it well timed that the citizens of San Diego voted against paying for a new stadium; well done left coast peeps. I am sure, quality of play factored in-in some way.

Stadiums are a giant waste of tax payer dollars.. Pony up NFL.

Very true. I would like to see municipalities to really start fighting back against this welfare.

One of thr many reasons the play has gotten worse over the years and thus, another reason to not watch is all the commercial breaks. They do not allow teams to develop a rhythm. Add to that, it is just plain annoying for fans. The breaks have gotten longer and far more.

A break after a score, then one after the ensuing kickoff. Heaven forbid there is an injury on the first play back from that same break... Oh the league is looking to make changes, but I won't hold my breath waitinghttp://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-nfl-tv-ratings-bears-spt-1113-20161112-story.html

When they immediately go from the score to the KO I am almost always shocked. It has screwed me bc I will run the the bathroom thinking I have time.

I have "caught" them skipping the kick off a few times... In some games they don't come back from break until a few seconds before the ball is snapped....

Add to it, horrible announcing crews who either do not know the game or are apparently watching a different game than they are calling!

Add it all up and you get the nubers being down..

Take this Broncos game against the Saints. They leave for a commercial break, run one play thwn break again for the 2 min hal time warning... All of 5 seconds of football in now 4 minutes.

International games are a big talker at owners meetings these days. In March in Boca Raton, Florida, a portion of the agenda was devoted to a discussion on potential future sites for NFL regular-season games. The discussions were preliminary and exploratory, but locations that came up as worthy of consideration included Brazil, Germany and -- most prominently -- China.

“I think teams are interested in how we expand our game on a global basis, particularly in China,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said at that meeting. “I think the size and influence of China in the global marketplace is obviously something you can’t ignore. From our standpoint, we know we have lots of fans over there and, more importantly, potential fans over there.”

There’s the key: “potential fans.” The motivation for the NFL’s exploratory discussions of foreign sites for regular-season games lies in the potential for increasing its customer base. At some point -- and some feel there’s evidence that it’s done so already -- interest in the game in the United States will start to flatten out or even decrease. In order to fend off the deleterious financial impact of such an event, the league must seek to generate interest elsewhere. Ratings may go down in this country, but that doesn’t mean they can’t go up in China or Mexico or the United Kingdom....http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/222321/after-four-nfl-games-outside-u-s-in-2016-get-used-to-more

I'm sure the Ravens will enjoy traveling to China.

A trip like that could wreck a teams season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...