ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hat's off to the O's

vmax

I don't want anybody in an O's uniform who can't field.

I'm sure they are playing because Buck is out of options...he's got nobody better...so I'll surrender to that.

On the flip side...this is who the O's have this year. I want certain players replaced, but It's not going to happen this year. So they have to win with who they have and I'll I'll be rooting for Andino and Bettemitt to become better fielders overnight...like some miracle will happen.

I'm in this thing....I'm counting the wins...This group, the good with the bad, are going to have a winning season and break the cycle of losing seasons.

The schedule looks favorable to me after the All Star break....they can do it.

Last night was just another debacle. Our bats were putting it together early - with no help from the umps - and then Arrietta and the defense just crumbled. Pathetic. Andino, Flaherty, Avery.... all playing the field like a joke at the moment.

Meanwhile, so depressing to watch the Angels with both Mark Trumbo and Mike Trout up and playing their butts off. When was the last time the O's had a legitimate position player come all the way through their system? Wieters, I suppose. Markakis before that? Roberts before that? One every 3-4 years? Where are our draft picks going again? What happens to our guys in our minor league system? Something is still not fixed there clearly.

Hell, I say bring up Bundy AND Machado - it can't hurt. And if Trout and Strasburg and Harper can all play at 19, 20, 21... why can't our guys? They only get dragged down in the minors. (And yes - I realize that especially with younger pitchers you need to not overwork them or they will end up like Strasburg and get hurt frequently. But we can manage to do both, no? Bring them up and give them rest... we're doing it with all our starters already because none of them can go 5 innings!)

As an outsider looking in.

You cant bring up Machada, way too young, look what happened to Strausburg when the Gnats brought him up, hes just very fortunate that he came up in this era, 35 years ago he would have been out of baseball.

O's are on to something here, they are in contention for the division and the wild card, Thhey are not at the break yet..See what August brings, they got thru the June swoon..I anticipated the usual collapse, they looked like they wanted to collapse, but they didnt..

Edited by cravnravn

Strasburg was amazing when he first came up with the Nats. His injury was the only downside. That would be less likely to happen with Machado.

Bryce Harper and Mike Trout look like two of the best players in baseball right now at 19 and 20. Trout is even a midseason MVP on most sports sites, etc. So 20 year old Machado is too young to play third?

Harper spent just over a year in the minors. He crushed in Single A and then struggled at both AA and AAA for about a total of 60 games, never slugging over 400 or hitting over 300 at either higher stop. But so what? His skills are there and he's in fact doing better against the better players in the majors. Quit babying every last prospect. They all fizzle and die in our system anyway.

There won't be a pennant push if we don't fix some issues.

Here's what this team is...

c - Wieters - one of the game's best, but streaky at the bat and 'hits well' for a catcher doesn't mean a lot

1b - rotation of Reynolds, Betemit, Davis - all are rough defensively, Davis has been the only hope defensively

2b - Andino - Roberts out for months, likely, so we have another no bat, can't bunt, can't run and mostly can't field - but looks flashy

ss - Hardy - solid

3b - rotation of Reynolds, Betemit and Tolleson - a youngster journeyman and two older unable to field, not much able to hit

lf - rotation of Davis, Flaherty, Tolleson, Betemit

cf - Adam Jones - great

rf - rotation of Davis, Flaherty, Tolleson, Betemit

Not a problem? Four of five line-up spots are 'by committee' - none of which is a good committee - and a fifth is Robert Andino!

Just let it happen dc, Lowenstein & Renieke were the best platoon left fielders in baseball. I read where Markakis is in aberdeen and will be back at the break. What about Thome,DH?, I was thrilled with this signing, Camden Yards wont be able to hold his shots in!!!

When Irsay releases Roberts and his ridiculous 10 mil dollar contract, this club will be better off.

I do not see any way this is a pennant winning team or close too it. I just want to finish the season consistently and hopefully above 500 even if its just a game. I like what I have seen so far, but there are so many dead spots in the lineup.

I like what I have seen of Betemit, but I do not think he is an everyday player. I like what I have seen of Davis. I like Avery, is he thought to be a legit major leaguer or is he just on the team for now? He has a good eye and good speed, something the team needs. I do not know much about the farm system. I have no problem with bringing Machado up this season. Why not? it will generate excitement and its not we have great players there now.

Like many, poor defense drives me crazy, but I wouldnt mind it so much if some of the offenders were hitting better.

Who knows, maybe when Markakis comes even just the addition of one good bat might make a difference.

Pretty much, unless something horrible happens, I think the team has taken a big step forward this season.

Good God. Isn't there one team in the AL East that can take the stinkin' Yankees down a notch? I hate those f**kers. Buying their way into the playoffs every year makes me sick.

• Upvote 1

I don't see it being 500 either. At best a couple of yrs away.

Shocker for you to be so negative. So unlike you.

And your Oriole predictions are usually so dead on. From predicting the team will be folded or moved (that should have happened by now according to your prediction) to none of the team's younger talent resigning here (after they do you just change your prediction to one that 'they will be sorry and want out"), to no established manager would come here (similar prediction change to player resignings). Uncanny how accurate you are.

You continue to sing the same song, predict negative things - and in sports negative things happen far more often then not, then post "I told you so" type posts, and then get upset if people point out that you are acting like an ass.