ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It is now time to talk about the draft

tsylvester

So 14 - 15 years ago you got Ozzie's draft order correct?

Five of seven, yes, back when I was studying the team and the game, how bout you? Plenty of peole have gotten the ravens first picks correct over the years, many even other draft picks in different rounds. It is not that difficult if you study the team and their tendancies.

Five of seven, yes, back when I was studying the team and the game, how bout you? Plenty of peole have gotten the ravens first picks correct over the years, many even other draft picks in different rounds. It is not that difficult if you study the team and their tendancies.

Nope, I don't even try. Ozzie is focused on the intangibles. That is why he comes up with players that fit the Ravens system so well. And he does all this picking late in the draft when all the supposed sure bets all nearly all gone. Second guess Ozzie around d this time of year - not on your life buddy. So what will it be this year? Offense or defense with the first pick? Ozzie's pattern says defense. Ozzie's pattern say LB. What say you?

Nope, I don't even try. Ozzie is focused on the intangibles. That is why he comes up with players that fit the Ravens system so well. And he does all this picking late in the draft when all the supposed sure bets all nearly all gone. Second guess Ozzie around d this time of year - not on your life buddy. So what will it be this year? Offense or defense with the first pick? Ozzie's pattern says defense. Ozzie's pattern say LB. What say you?

Don't know, never claimed to be kreskin, I don't have the time I once had to study the players, the teams, etc. You asked a loaded question, I purposely took the bait so you could have your day in the sun.

This is a fan discussion board, second guessing is what makes the discussions go so well. circle jerks, they are for children who do not understand the game.

Crav, the same person who never knew Boller had never played in the rain. The same person who thought Travis Taylor could cach a cold or Troy Smith was an NFl quarterback.

Papa, if memory serves correctly, you me and several others from the board back then, sitting around the Windbag's sumer party discussing how lame a pick Clayton was.....

My guess is that in Carolina, Dickson has found an offense better suited for his skill set as a Blocking Tight End. Ed Dickson was a good but unappreciated blocking Tight End here in Baltimore and now he's a good blocking Tight End for Cam Newton in Carolina.

So in your opinion an offense where he doesn't have to catch the ball is better suited for him.....I completely agree.

• Upvote 1

Crav, the same person who never knew Boller had never played in the rain. The same person who thought Travis Taylor could cach a cold or Troy Smith was an NFl quarterback.

Papa, if memory serves correctly, you me and several others from the board back then, sitting around the Windbag's sumer party discussing how lame a pick Clayton was.....

Ozzie allowed himself to be manipulated on the Kyle pick.

When I saw that Clayton vanished in big games I was wondering which NFL game would not be a big game.

Ozzie allowed himself to be manipulated on the Kyle pick.

When I saw that Clayton vanished in big games I was wondering which NFL game would not be a big game.

Yes, I remembered being very concerned about his ability to get off the press after getting shutout in the 2005 Orange Bowl. Clayton's calling card was his YAC ability but a lot of us doubted how that would translate into the NFL. Clayton surprisingly ran a fast 4.41 40 with a 4.05 SS. However, he seemed to play slower than his times. If Clayton were an inch taller and a step faster I think he would have been a great player. It was always "so close" with Clayton. Real shame too because he had an excellent second season for us looking like he was going to explode (the 2006 Ravens, one of my favorite teams to watch). Never built upon that. Had a couple of solid games with the Rams before getting injured.

So in your opinion an offense where he doesn't have to catch the ball is better suited for him.....I completely agree.

Just as a situational pass rushing LB/DE ( Dumervil ) is best suited to play during passing downs or a situational pass catching TE ( Pitta ) is best suited to play on passing downs, Dickson, because of his blocking ability is better suited running plays.

Don't know, never claimed to be kreskin, I don't have the time I once had to study the players, the teams, etc. You asked a loaded question, I purposely took the bait so you could have your day in the sun.

This is a fan discussion board, second guessing is what makes the discussions go so well. circle jerks, they are for children who do not understand the game.

Pretty straightforward question. With most people here guessing WR or RB, will Ozzie pull another rabbit out of his hat by going defense and LB again?

Pretty straightforward question. With most people here guessing WR or RB, will Ozzie pull another rabbit out of his hat by going defense and LB again?

Let me repeat my self in case I was not clear. I have not followed the team as I used to, so it would be an uninformed guess. But were I to take one, I would say likely, knowing the way he went about it in the past, a de/olb, hopefully not, as I think they can find one equal if not better in later rounds. This year's class at that position, from what I have seen in watching the games this year, is pretty equal and, perhaps key, all need a lot of coaching to even rate playing time over what the team already has.

I have seen some report Gregory could very likely be the pick, I hope very much they are wrong, saw a lot of his play, weak is the term I would use for him.

Yes, back when I was writing, I acutally had five of their seven draft picks correct, including the first three rounds, the first round pick of Clayton, I almost begged the Ravens not to make; stated he would be a bust..... But then, every squirrel finds a nut....

Kiper begged Ozzie to draft Roddy White whom he left on the

board.

Let me repeat my self in case I was not clear. I have not followed the team as I used to, so it would be an uninformed guess. But were I to take one, I would say likely, knowing the way he went about it in the past, a de/olb, hopefully not, as I think they can find one equal if not better in later rounds. This year's class at that position, from what I have seen in watching the games this year, is pretty equal and, perhaps key, all need a lot of coaching to even rate playing time over what the team already has.

I have seen some report Gregory could very likely be the pick, I hope very much they are wrong, saw a lot of his play, weak is the term I would use for him.

Gregory is is said to be the top pass rushing prospect in the draft. I seriously doubt he'll be around at pick #26. Any other guesses?

Looking on NFL.coms mocks... 2 writers have us taking RB Gurley, 1 has us taking WR Strong, and 1 has us taking DT Goldman. I like Strong, if he's gone and the other options are too do you see Oz trading back? Say we trade back and now have 2-2nds and maybe 2-3rds.... We could get a WR,TE and CB/FS.

Gregory is is said to be the top pass rushing prospect in the draft. I seriously doubt he'll be around at pick #26. Any other guesses?

Do I not explain my self well enough for you? Is that why you keep ignoring parts of my post? I clearly said I have seen it reported that Gregory MIGHT be the pick, NOT that I thought he would be the pick. I stated I thought it likely that position would be be the pick and that that position is weak in that all the players are roughly on the same level, with potential, but need much, much coaching.

Is that clear enough for you?

Looking on NFL.coms mocks... 2 writers have us taking RB Gurley, 1 has us taking WR Strong, and 1 has us taking DT Goldman. I like Strong, if he's gone and the other options are too do you see Oz trading back? Say we trade back and now have 2-2nds and maybe 2-3rds.... We could get a WR,TE and CB/FS.

I agree, if Strong is there I would hope the team is smart enough to take him or trade back if possible. They don't need a dt that high, certainly not a runningback either at 26.

What I like about this draft is that a lot of the 1st round talent seems to be about equal after the first 5 picks. For that reason I think it's almost impossible to pick who we will get. Someone unexpected almost always seems to fall to our pick or Ozzie pulls a trade to go up or fall back to a spot he is comfortable getting who he wants.

I just hope that the QBs including Hundley, the pass rushers (none of them scream elite to me) and O-Linemen go early thus pushing a top CB, TE or WR to our pick.

I agree, if Strong is there I would hope the team is smart enough to take him or trade back if possible. They don't need a dt that high, certainly not a runningback either at 26.

Yeah it goes to show you what NFL writers know about the Ravens saying DT is a need position.... but Goldman does look like a solid pick. Who knows, I hate this time of year.

Another hypothetical situation: if for some reason Parker from Louisville is there at 15, would you trade up with our second rounder to nab him? How about trading up to 11 with our second and third for Parker?

I just don't see it happening with all the holes in this years roster. They need 3-4 quality players on next years team in this draft (WR,TE, RB and maybe Safety). Your first three rounds are where you get those kind of players and rest are projects IMO.

Another hypothetical situation: if for some reason Parker from Louisville is there at 15, would you trade up with our second rounder to nab him? How about trading up to 11 with our second and third for Parker?

The way I look at the team, they need quality more than quantity this year more than most any other year. Defense is, the line, is filled with young, talented players, with an old timer in there for good measure in Canty.

Offense, the line is set with good, quality players, mixed with youth and is deep.

Corner, WR, middle line backer, tight end, running back, and maybe safety are glarglaringds, though corner may be healed with what they have done and players coming back.

Parker is solid, an NFl ready receiver in my opinion, but then, so are several other players, Strong being one of them. No, I would not trade up that high for Parker if Strong is still on the board. I would trade up to say 20 for Strong, to ensure they get him at a good price, too boot.

This way, they could fill the other needs with the remaining picks, in the 3rd, 4th, etc. Tight ends are even for the most part up to 4 deep, after that, they are not as athletic. But they can still land a good one in the 3rd.

The linebackers, both inside & outside, are eh, ok this year for where the Ravens pick, they are all pretty even, all very raw. Personally, I think they can land Dupre in the 2nd, maybe even in the 3rd if they trade up, a solid de/outside backer. He is far more "polished" than Gregory and has more potential.

Do this, that would leave a true BPA for the 4th, 5th, 6th and undrafted players they need to fill out the roster.

Do I not explain my self well enough for you? Is that why you keep ignoring parts of my post? I clearly said I have seen it reported that Gregory MIGHT be the pick, NOT that I thought he would be the pick. I stated I thought it likely that position would be be the pick and that that position is weak in that all the players are roughly on the same level, with potential, but need much, much coaching.

Is that clear enough for you?

Whooaaaa. Why so sensitive? No one is attacking you in particular.