ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Opening Day 2016

dc.

O's put the hurt on last night.

1 game up on Toronto with 2 games left.

If anybody is wondering why this boards been going up and down on the O's the last few weeks read this ESPN article....

It's a great article and read by Eddie Matz.

The scenarios for a three way tie for two playoff spots are weird and wild... And O's apparently already made a controversial choice to be the third team, meaning we only get one game to win or be out, but we get it at home... Other option was two games, but both on road. Blue Jays will get two games, if needed, but both at home.

Let's just not make it come to that.

Speaking of garbage, Boy do Jones and Davis swing at some of the worst pitches thrown?

On other nights that would bother me, but last night I think they had to. Actually, while Davis has swung at crap all year, I'm not sure if he complained enough to get the umps mad, but the last month I think most all borderline pitches have gone against him.

Good season. Tough to lose this game with Britton on the bench but Liriano could have gone another six innings with his success against us. Great strategy by Toronto. Everyone in our bullpen pitched great outside of Jiménez. I think we found another bullpen stud in Hart. He's lights out against lefties. Givens had a rough patch mid-season but rebounded excellent at the end of the year. His K/IP ratio is outstanding and he should be even better next season (remember, he's still new to pitching relatively).

We have one more year to strike. Davis needs to get healthy (said his hand was bothering him all year). I am not worried about Davis. When Davis struggled two years ago he was pulling everything. This year he had even power distribution. His hand affected his bat speed and contact IMO.

Next year Bundy and Gausman have to take the next step. Schoop and Machado will improve again hopefully. Wieters is gone, don't even give him the qualifying offer because he will accept it since no one will pay him. He isn't worth anything near $20M for one year. I will be happy to see Chance Cisco and his high OBP batting approach in the majors.

Give Trumbo the qualifying offer. If he accepts, great. If not take the draft pick. Duquette has been good at finding low risk, high reward batters so I'm not worried there. Álvarez would be a cheap re-sign and Trey Mancini is ready to play.

If we can't sign Machado this offseason he needs to be traded at the end of the next season or even before that at the trade deadline if he's having a hot year and we are out of it (sell at the highest point).

What does the free agent pitching market look like? If there was ever a year to make a splash its this one. Salary can always be dumped later on.

• Upvote 1

Good season. Tough to lose this game with Britton on the bench but Liriano could have gone another six innings with his success against us. Great strategy by Toronto. Everyone in our bullpen pitched great outside of Jiménez. I think we found another bullpen stud in Hart. He's lights out against lefties. Givens had a rough patch mid-season but rebounded excellent at the end of the year. His K/IP ratio is outstanding and he should be even better next season (remember, he's still new to pitching relatively).

We have one more year to strike. Davis needs to get healthy (said his hand was bothering him all year). I am not worried about Davis. When Davis struggled two years ago he was pulling everything. This year he had even power distribution. His hand affected his bat speed and contact IMO.

Next year Bundy and Gausman have to take the next step. Schoop and Machado will improve again hopefully. Wieters is gone, don't even give him the qualifying offer because he will accept it since no one will pay him. He isn't worth anything near $20M for one year. I will be happy to see Chance Cisco and his high OBP batting approach in the majors.

Give Trumbo the qualifying offer. If he accepts, great. If not take the draft pick. Duquette has been good at finding low risk, high reward batters so I'm not worried there. Álvarez would be a cheap re-sign and Trey Mancini is ready to play.

If we can't sign Machado this offseason he needs to be traded at the end of the next season or even before that at the trade deadline if he's having a hot year and we are out of it (sell at the highest point).

What does the free agent pitching market look like? If there was ever a year to make a splash its this one. Salary can always be dumped later on.

Good post, good thoughts

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2016/10/17/dan-connolly-says-orioles-need-more-offensive-balance-in-2017-lineup

We all harp on the fact the Orioles aren't good with runners in scoring position. They hit .260 in those situations this year (ninth of 15 AL teams) and had a .329 OBP (13th of 15) -- bad, but not awful.

Look a little closer, though, and you see the Orioles aren't actually getting into those situations. They had the fewest number of at-bats with runners in scoring position than any AL team, more than 300 fewer than the Red Sox. Therefore, despite a mediocre average with RISP, the Orioles had the fewest RBIs in the league and second fewest runs scored in those situations.
What that tells us is the Orioles aren't doing enough to get to second and/or third base. A lack of speed on the basepaths is one major reason; the Orioles stole just 19 bases and attempted only 32 in 2016. You have to go back to the 1960 Kansas City Athletics to find a less daring team on the bases (they stole 16 of 27 in a 154-game schedule).
The Orioles had, by far, not only the fewest stolen bases or attempts, but also the worst stealing percentage (59.4 percent) in the league. Rule V outfielder Joey Rickard led the Orioles with four steals, and he stopped playing after July 20 due to injury.
The Orioles have made the postseason three times in the last five seasons, going 6-8 in 14 postseason games.
In their eight playoff losses, the Orioles have been outscored 19-36 -- that's 2.38 runs scored per game against 4.5 allowed. In their six wins, they've outscored the opposition, 31-14, averaging 5.17 runs per game and giving up just 2.3.
The postseason has really been a microcosm of these Orioles teams and how they've been constructed. In six of those eight Orioles playoff losses, they scored two runs or fewer. Heck, they actually scored three runs or fewer in nine of their 14 postseason games.
That's mind-boggling for a team built on power.