ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Joe Explains Ravens Strategy To Win Ugly

vmax

"It wasn’t pretty. We weren’t perfect. We weren’t great," quarterback Joe Flacco said. "Do you want to play a game like that in September? Not necessarily. But every single game in January and come February, where we hope to be, is going to be like that. It’s going to be tough situations. That’s why, over the years, these games have taken us to that next level and has made us so mentally tough."..http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/30098/joe-flacco-ravens-should-learn-lesson-in-improbable-comeback-win-over-browns

It's to prepare themselves for the playoffs!

I never thought of that. Totally fooled me.

Silly, dumb me.

A W is a W but weve just beaten about the 2 worst teams in football. Cleveland might have the worst defense in football. We could easily be 0-2 right now. They ought to start playing pissed off and like they are 0-2. This team won't be able to hang with the good teams unless they fix the offense and get a dang running game. When does Dixon return ?

Seattle scored 3 pts today. Drew Brees could not score more than 15 pts. At half time, Big Ben had worse numbers than Joe did at half time. Do you want me to go on?

The point is, you take each game as its own season, who ever scores the most points.

That is Joe's message, that these tight games, no matter how they got close in score, no matter how many points you are down. Just keep playing and win no matter how.

Seattle scored 3 pts today. Drew Brees could not score more than 15 pts. At half time, Big Ben had worse numbers than Joe did at half time. Do you want me to go on?

The point is, you take each game as its own season, who ever scores the most points.

That is Joe's message, that these tight games, no matter how they got close in score, no matter how many points you are down. Just keep playing and win no matter how.

Excellent post, tsyl!

Tsyl,

Get your on any Sunday and everyone gets a mulligan rationale, but we played the worst defense we'll see all year. It's early but cmon. Not looking for style points here but some improvement. And we were dedicating the game to Coach Brooks. Really ?

Yes, we're 2-0 and dang fortunate but we won't get by against legit playoff teams down the road.

Tsyl,

Get your on any Sunday and everyone gets a mulligan rationale, but we played the worst defense we'll see all year. It's early but cmon. Not looking for style points here but some improvement. And we were dedicating the game to Coach Brooks. Really ?

Yes, we're 2-0 and dang fortunate but we won't get by against legit playoff teams down the road.

:thumbup:

Tsyl,

They scored more points than the week before, had less penalties and had two picks. That is improvement! Rolf.

The Ravens marched through a 2000 season with an offense that burned your eyes....but they found ways to win with special teams and magnificent defense. But it was one ugly win after another.

What is consistent in all of this is they don't quit. They keep battling.

What was impressive was the defense waking up and shutting out the Browns for 3 quarters. Then Joe became Good Joe, even though he had no running game, he got in the zone and the Ravens scored enough to win. "He is who he is." And the Ravens find ways to win. It's almost like "winning ugly" is the same as "finding ways to win."

I'll take it.

2-0. Very Important.

I thought play calling was better in the second half: less shotgun and more playaction.

Secondary is still a major concern. We were getting a pass rush and McCown was throwing up the ball with no concern and their receivers were schooling our guys. With the sort of pass rush we were getting no way the receivers should have been that open. I will give our secondary credit, they come up and support the run very well.

Btw typical Ravens move at the end, play for the FG to go up by only 4-6, have to "rely on the defense."

Max,

I like your thinking on the "grinding it out " although we don't have the 2k Defense to rely on.

It was impressive to see the "wake up" and "shut down" albeit against the Browns offense.

2-0 is 2-0 and that's important, especially after last year.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. But we have GOT to establish some kind of running game.

Next week against Jax would be a good time to start.

Fwiw, after getting waxed in San Diego and coming home 0-2, I expect to Gus Bradley to have his Jags fired up and playing in desperation mode.

Meanwhile, Harbs ought to have our boys still pissed after last year's game here.

Sunday's game will tell us a little more about this team.

:gorave:

yea....Jags are up against the wall. They'll be ready.

Ravens offense is close...maybe a few games close to breaking out. Too many dropped passes plus Joe is still rusty....but the playmakers are there.

The Ravens marched through a 2000 season with an offense that burned your eyes....but they found ways to win with special teams and magnificent defense. But it was one ugly win after another.

What is consistent in all of this is they don't quit. They keep battling.

What was impressive was the defense waking up and shutting out the Browns for 3 quarters. Then Joe became Good Joe, even though he had no running game, he got in the zone and the Ravens scored enough to win. "He is who he is." And the Ravens find ways to win. It's almost like "winning ugly" is the same as "finding ways to win."

I'll take it.

2-0. Very Important.

So you are saying this group of RBs is equatable to Jamal and Priest? Also you are say that this D is like the 2000 D?

So you are saying this group of RBs is equatable to Jamal and Priest? Also you are say that this D is like the 2000 D?

No, but thanks for revealing your overblown imagination and desire to argue.

• Upvote 1

Can I be a semantic pos for a moment and note that Flacco didn't exactly say this teams strategy is to make it close when it didn't have to be, but rather that surviving these games had some advantages for later?

It's not my favorite logic or rationale, but it's still wildly different from saying "we keep games close on purpose." He was just trying to shine this turd a bit and look for something worth taking away from the game...