ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The Main Weakness: Receivers The Ravens Should Pursue in the 2010 Draft

cravnravn

The Ravens, if you look on paper, aren’t a weak team. They have an established quarterback, a playmaking running back, a great offensive line, and a notoriously good defense. However, and while I got sick of the pundits saying this, I will admit they need to get some receivers to aid the development of a young Joe Flacco. While I like Derrick Mason, he’s 36. Mark Clayton can be very good, but he’s incredibly inconsistent. You could call him a consistently inconsistent receiver. Kelley Washington is solid, but let’s be honest, he’s not a No. 1. Overall, I want a guy who can grow with the offense. A guy who can grow like Flacco and Ray Rice and Jared Gaither have. Here are some names the Ravens should consider:

The List

• 5 weeks later...

Someone explain to me how this guy isn't a household name?

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=170533

Idaho's coach was well aware of the guy needing only 5 catches to eclipse the single-season record going into the Idaho/Bowling Green bowl matchup, and Barnes makes 17 catches look easy. My initial reaction is that this guy knows how to get open despite being double-teamed every game. It's much easier for a receiver to make the transition from a spread offense to the NFL than a quarterback... I could see this guy making an impact in the NFL. Thoughts?

(And yes, I realize we're in the middle of a playoff run. I'm just sick of talking about it. Ravens 27, Pats 17)

• Upvote 1

You have to look at the level of the competition he went against. Boise and Missouri were the only 2 decent teams he played against and he caught 4 balls for 24 yards against Boise and a little better against Missouri with 10 balls for 70 yards. Will probably get looked at some time in the 5th to 7th round were he would be worth a gamble.

You have to look at the level of the competition he went against. Boise and Missouri were the only 2 decent teams he played against and he caught 4 balls for 24 yards against Boise and a little better against Missouri with 10 balls for 70 yards. Will probably get looked at some time in the 5th to 7th round were he would be worth a gamble.

I disagree; @Buffalo is not an easy place to play in November, and Barnes was dominant as the only pass threat on the Bowling Green offense. This isn't a Division 1-AA player. These records do not get broken every year by guys playing against poor competition. If he runs well at the combine, he'll probably go in the first 3-4 rounds, if that late.

Apparently the knock on this guy is that he is not very fast, which is the main reason he is being projected as a 5-6 round pick. Of course, it is very early and a solid pre-draft workout could boost his stock. Nevertheless, this wide receiver class does not look very strong outside of Dez Bryant (who should be long gone by the time we pick at #32 =D ). This increases the importance for us to either address WR in free agency, or stock up on WRs in the draft hoping one of them pans out. Golden Tate is too similar to what we have in Mark Clayton. Arrelious Benn is a very interesting prospect who had a solid 2008 year, but faded in 2009 (granted, Juice Williams was his QB). Demaryius Thomas and Brandon LaFell are guys who have high potential, but are unpolished.

As for free agents, here is an interesting post out of the Sun today:

Playoff success could hurt Ravens in free agency

If the NFL enters an uncapped year, the Ravens could be significantly limited in their ability to sign unrestricted free agents under the new rules.

From my understanding of the Collective Bargaining agreement, the Ravens would not be able to sign a free agent this offseason until one of their own free agents sign elsewhere. Then, the Ravens can only sign a free agent to a contract similar to the one signed by their departed free agent.

This rule is in place to keep teams in check during the uncapped year. It only affects eight teams that advances to the NFL divisional round (Indianapolis, San Diego, N.Y. Jets, New Orleans, Minnesota, Arizona and Dallas).

We better hope for a new CBA...

Apparently the knock on this guy is that he is not very fast, which is the main reason he is being projected as a 5-6 round pick. Of course, it is very early and a solid pre-draft workout could boost his stock. Nevertheless, this wide receiver class does not look very strong outside of Dez Bryant (who should be long gone by the time we pick at #32 =D ). This increases the importance for us to either address WR in free agency, or stock up on WRs in the draft hoping one of them pans out. Golden Tate is too similar to what we have in Mark Clayton. Arrelious Benn is a very interesting prospect who had a solid 2008 year, but faded in 2009 (granted, Juice Williams was his QB). Demaryius Thomas and Brandon LaFell are guys who have high potential, but are unpolished.

As for free agents, here is an interesting post out of the Sun today:

We better hope for a new CBA...

To the "speed" point, I can't imagine Barnes being any slower than Anquan Boldin (who ran a 4.7) I only bring up Boldin because he is one of the big-name WR's that we have been pursuing. If Barnes were fast, he would be a top 20 pick; the point here is that he has a gift that only the SPECIAL receivers possess: he can get open, even when the entire defensive focus is on him.