ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Elam did something dumb

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/11/ravens-elam-on-megatron-hes-old-so-well-be-physical-with-him/

Ravens’ Elam on Megatron: He’s old, so we’ll be physical with him

Ravens safety Matt Elam is 5-foot-10 and 210 pounds, while Lions receiver Calvin Johnson is 6-foot-5 and 236 pounds. So it wouldn’t seem to benefit Elam to try to get physical with Megatron when the two meet on Monday night.

But Elam, a 22-year-old rookie, says that when taking on an old guy like the 28-year-old Johnson, you always have to get physical.

“He’s pretty old, so I don’t know how physical he’ll be,” Elam said. “He’s a big guy, but he’s older. I guess when they get older they’re not going to be as physical, you know what I’m saying? We’re going to have to be physical, make him uncomfortable.”

Elam also said that Johnson is a “Big, fast, athletic, unstoppable, freak,” but you can bet those “old” comments will make their way to the Lions’ locker room. The Lions have previously acknowledged getting motivation from opposing teams snubbing Megatron, such as the time then-Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said Johnson would only be the third-best receiver on the Cowboys. After Ryan made those comments, Johnson scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns in leading Detroit to a come-from-behind victory over Dallas.

In a big game for both teams’ playoff hopes, Ravens fans will have to hope Johnson doesn’t make Elam eat his words.

He should not have said a word. There is no need to motivate megatron. I am glad I am gonna keep riding him this week in FF.

You d have thought after that pathetic example of tackling last Sunday against the Vikes, Elam would have learned a lesson in humility.

Instead, he opens mouth and inserts foot. Elam and the rest of our secondary, will be humbled Monday night in Motown. Bank it and book it !

and your only pointing at Elam?

come on, that had a lot more to do with the weather then did with him. or anyone playing DB

Elam is young, extremely talented and cocky. I'm not going to bash on a rookie for not showing poise and giving the politically correct answer. I'm sure he's gotten an earful from the vets on the team. He'll learn.

As far as this instance is concerned...Megatron is the ultimate professional and we would see his best regardless. Maybe some of his teammates gain extra motivation, but Elam will just need to show up and have a great performance.

Elam is young, extremely talented and cocky. I'm not going to bash on a rookie for not showing poise and giving the politically correct answer. I'm sure he's gotten an earful from the vets on the team. He'll learn.

As far as this instance is concerned...Megatron is the ultimate professional and we would see his best regardless. Maybe some of his teammates gain extra motivation, but Elam will just need to show up and have a great performance.

Elam actually was very complimentary of Megatron but added the bonehead comment about how old he is. Even if you set aside the "don't bait the Superstar WR" part of it, it's an incorrect statement and it makes Elam look stupid.

We really don't know how Megatron would have performed - he is a great player but has also made a few crucial errors are crucial times (i.e. the game clinching interception that deflected off his hands during the Bucs game, fumble against the Cowboys in the 3Q). I like Elam's confidence, I just wish he had kept it to himself.

It was a dumb thing to do. Like Outside said it was a complimentary until the last "old" line. I don't think players buy into it as much as the media does. There's already two stories about it on my ESPN app. I'm sure we'll here about it 3 times before kickoff, and everytime Megatron has a catch.

and....Johnson in a "matter of fact" response statement, just seriously put Elam and Ihedibo down....

Asked to evaluate what he’s seen on film from Elam, Johnson said, “I think that [if quarterback Matthew Stafford] does a good job with his eyes, he could get those guys out of position where we could make some plays. Just safeties – nothing extraordinatory. Those are definitely guys we can make plays on.”

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-johnson-returns-verbal-volley-at-elam-20131212,0,4087835.story#ixzz2nIiovKUG

They are screwed.

Elam said it and he can't take it back now, Harbaugh and some vets have probably already put him in his place, only left to do now is for the rest of the defense to get his back. Yeah , he said something stupid, but whats done is done, i'm really hoping the comment galvanizes our defense to step there game up another level in support of a teammate.

Elam said it and he can't take it back now, Harbaugh and some vets have probably already put him in his place, only left to do now is for the rest of the defense to get his back. Yeah , he said something stupid, but whats done is done, i'm really hoping the comment galvanizes our defense to step there game up another level in support of a teammate.

I agree..... I hope it motivates them to play better defense. Hit and cover tackling.....none of that shoulder tackling BS