ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Common games tiebreaker

83eh01

Are common games only vs the same opponent?

Are the Patriots common with the Dolphins or does that not count?

I'm trying to look at a scenario where the Ravens and Steelers end the season tied.

Yes, common games are only games with the same opponent. If the Ravens and Steelers end the season tied, the Ravens cannot win the common games tiebreaker. If the Steelers beat the Patriots, the common games tiebreaker would be tied. If the Steelers lose to the Patriots, the Steelers would win the common games tiebreaker (assuming the Ravens and Steelers ended tied.

In the Steelers vs pats thread a couple posts back, I explained this in a little more detail.

Yes, common games are only games with the same opponent. If the Ravens and Steelers end the season tied, the Ravens cannot win the common games tiebreaker. If the Steelers beat the Patriots, the common games tiebreaker would be tied. If the Steelers lose to the Patriots, the Steelers would win the common games tiebreaker (assuming the Ravens and Steelers ended tied.

In the Steelers vs pats thread a couple posts back, I explained this in a little more detail.

I think you meant the Titans since the Patriots=Dolphins

I feel all mixed up.

It seems that if the Steelers lose one of Patriots/Titans, they need the Ravens to lose to the Redskins to offset things. The conference record would be tied. Though it could also be the Cowboys if the Steelers beat them.

SoV is the next deciding factor. It seems like it might be possible for the Ravens to win if the Steelers beat the Patriots, but lose to the Titans.

Currently

Patriots 7-4

Chargers 4-7

Redskins 7-4

18-15

Dolphins 6-5

Raiders 3-8

Eagles 6-5-1

15-18-1

The Ravens would need their opponents to win 3 more games than the Steelers' opponents and then the Ravens would win because of the Eagles' draw. Do draws factor in at the end?

Maybe I completely wasted my time :lol:

I was just wanted to think of the best case scenario for the Ravens if both teams are tied.

I think you meant the Titans since the Patriots=Dolphins

I feel all mixed up.

It seems that if the Steelers lose one of Patriots/Titans, they need the Ravens to lose to the Redskins to offset things. The conference record would be tied. Though it could also be the Cowboys if the Steelers beat them.

SoV is the next deciding factor. It seems like it might be possible for the Ravens to win if the Steelers beat the Patriots, but lose to the Titans.

Currently

Patriots 7-4

Chargers 4-7

Redskins 7-4

18-15

Dolphins 6-5

Raiders 3-8

Eagles 6-5-1

15-18-1

The Ravens would need their opponents to win 3 more games than the Steelers' opponents and then the Ravens would win because of the Eagles' draw. Do draws factor in at the end?

Maybe I completely wasted my time :lol:

I was just wanted to think of the best case scenario for the Ravens if both teams are tied.

No, the Patirots don't equal the Dolphins. A common opponent is a game that both us and the Steelers have played. With the schedule the way it is, the common opponents are these:

Cincinnati (twice each)

Cleveland (twice each)

Houston

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Jacksonville

NY Giants

Dallas

Washington

Philadelphia.

In total, that is 12 of each of the teams 16 games. 2 more come from the games against each other. That leaves only two "uncommon games" for each team:

Ravens: Dolphins and Raiders

Steelers: Patriots and Chargers

So, if the Steelers lose to the Patriots, then if the teams finish tied, the Steelers will have the tiebreaker because they have to have one more win in the "common games" to make up for the loss in the "uncommon games."

Here's an example:

Say both the Steelers and Ravens finish 11-5, with the Ravens beating the Steelers on 12/14 (the only way the tiebreaker can apply.

Against Oakland and Miami, the Ravens went 2-0

Against the Steelers, they went 1-1

Thus, in the 12 common games, the Ravens went 8-4

Now, assume that the Steelers lose to the Patriots

Against New England and San Diego, the Steelers would be 1-1

Against the Ravens, they would be 1-1

Thus, in the 12 common games, they'd be 9-3, one game better than the Ravens

Plug in any tied record for 11-5, and the result would be the same, its simple arithmetic. It is the Patriots that matter, not the Titans.

As far as SoV goes, that will be hard to decipher until later in the year, since so many things can change in team's records by then. However, at the moment the Steelers have the advantage (the numbers are in the last thread, don't feel like adding them up again).

No, the Patirots don't equal the Dolphins. A common opponent is a game that both us and the Steelers have played. With the schedule the way it is, the common opponents are these:

Cincinnati (twice each)

Cleveland (twice each)

Houston

Indianapolis

Tennessee

Jacksonville

NY Giants

Dallas

Washington

Philadelphia.

In total, that is 12 of each of the teams 16 games. 2 more come from the games against each other. That leaves only two "uncommon games" for each team:

Ravens: Dolphins and Raiders

Steelers: Patriots and Chargers

So, if the Steelers lose to the Patriots, then if the teams finish tied, the Steelers will have the tiebreaker because they have to have one more win in the "common games" to make up for the loss in the "uncommon games."

Here's an example:

Say both the Steelers and Ravens finish 11-5, with the Ravens beating the Steelers on 12/14 (the only way the tiebreaker can apply.

Against Oakland and Miami, the Ravens went 2-0

Against the Steelers, they went 1-1

Thus, in the 12 common games, the Ravens went 8-4

Now, assume that the Steelers lose to the Patriots

Against New England and San Diego, the Steelers would be 1-1

Against the Ravens, they would be 1-1

Thus, in the 12 common games, they'd be 9-3, one game better than the Ravens

Plug in any tied record for 11-5, and the result would be the same, its simple arithmetic. It is the Patriots that matter, not the Titans.

As far as SoV goes, that will be hard to decipher until later in the year, since so many things can change in team's records by then. However, at the moment the Steelers have the advantage (the numbers are in the last thread, don't feel like adding them up again).

man-pulling-hair-out-2.jpg