ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens Free Agents

vmax

Here's the list. Who do we keep?

BALTIMORE RAVENS

Free agents lost: None

Free agents signed: None

Re-signed: None

Status unresolved: TE Dallas Clark, NT Terrence Cody, TE Ed Dickson, CB Corey Graham, SS James Ihedigbo, DE Arthur Jones, WR Jacoby Jones, S Jeromy Miles, T Eugene Monroe, T Michael Oher, TE Dennis Pitta, RB Bernard Scott, LB Daryl Smith, WR Tandon Doss (restricted), LB Albert McClellan (restricted), S Omar Brown (exclusive rights), LB D.J. Bryant (exclusive rights), LB Josh Bynes (exclusive rights), LB Adrian Hamilton (exclusive rights), S Anthony Levine (exclusive rights), S Brynden Trawick (exclusive rights).The Ravens' payroll is reportedly $10 million to $12 million less than the projected cap ceiling of $125 million, a figure that is not only an increase from last year, but could also change as the league year gets closer. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/01/22/afc-north-2014-player-movement-chart

From Eric DeCosta...

"What we saw after this season is we have a lot of needs at a lot of positions. It's bad to be in that position, I think, as an organization, but I think in terms of building your team it's good because we have the flexibility to draft players at a wide variety of positions. We think we need some running back depth. That definitely would be a position of need. Tight end, we have some uncertainty at that position with different players' contracts being up (Pitta, Ed Dickson, Dallas Clark). So, that's a strong position we think for us to look at in this year's draft.

"Offensive line did not perform up to our standards this year. We'd like to add some additional young players to help us to bolster the strength of that unit, linebacker as well. If we have a chance to select a good, young linebacker, that would be good. Safety, we'd like to address that position in this year's draft. With a lot of good players in the draft, we have a chance to get better at a lot of different positions. And that will be our focus."

Depending on how the coin flip goes with the Dallas Cowboys in February at the NFL scouting combine, you'll either have the 16th or 17th overall pick of the first round. Do you feel good about your chances of obtaining a player who can make an immediate impact?

"That's how we see it. As great as it is to be picking at the end of each round, which is an indicator that you had a good season the year before, it's hard to find good players year after year at the back of each of these rounds and the league has created a system that's really based on creating a sense of parity and an even level of playing field. It's exciting for us when we see the quality of this year's draft. With the top of the draft, we think we have the chance to get an impact player pretty quickly.

"It's a deep draft. If you consider the fact that quarterbacks typically will get drafted pretty high and add those guys into the mix, there's a really good chance that a good player is going to fall down to us. We've had some success in years past thinking about years where we got Suggs [2003], [defensive tackle] Haloti [Ngata in 2006], [cornerback] Chris McAlister [1999]. We've been able to find a very high level player from pick No. 10 on. We're excited about that possibility this year."

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-eric-decosta-0123-20140122,0,2197093.story#ixzz2rDe5lsPH
Edited by vmax

TE Dallas Clark (Probably gone, but they might offer vet minimum to insure we have some depth going into the draft)

NT Terrence Cody (Probably gone unless it's a vet minimum cheap deal)

TE Ed Dickson (Gone - hands of stone and couldn't step up when Pitta went down)

CB Corey Graham (Allow him to test the market but regardless would need to be a cheap deal for him to return)

SS James Ihedigbo (Tough one here. Probably allow him to test the market with a cheap deal offered for him to return)

DE Arthur Jones (Try and resign but my guess is it will be too expensive and the Ravens have some depth along the D-Line and have a draft pick from last year ready to go in Kapron Lewis Moore)

WR Jacoby Jones (Try and resign but probably will be too expensive. Let him test the market and then decide on making an offer to match)

S Jeromy Miles (Special teams player - vet minimum offer)

T Eugene Monroe (I think he is resigned before he hits FA but I think he ends up on the Ravens regardless)

T Michael Oher (Gone - He probably signs a deal with a team before FA officially opens and gets called for a false start!)

TE Dennis Pitta (Must resign him or at worst franchise him. He won't see the open market whatever way it goes down)

RB Bernard Scott (Gone)

LB Daryl Smith (After Pitta and Monroe he should be the next priority)

WR Tandon Doss (RFA) (Offer the low tender as if we lose Jacoby at least Doss can cover some kick return duties) Level 2 Tender $1,389,150 (4th round pick as compensation)

LB Albert McClellan (RFA) (Probably will be offered the low tender for his depth and special teams) Level 1 Tender $1,389,150

S Omar Brown (ERFA) (Resigned) $570,000

LB D.J. Bryant (ERFA) (Resigned) $570,000

LB Josh Bynes (ERFA) (Resigned) $570,000

LB Adrian Hamilton (ERFA) (Resigned) $570,000

S Anthony Levine (ERFA) (Resigned) $570,000

S Brynden Trawick (ERFA) (Resigned) $495,000

RFA Tenders = $2,778,300

ERFA Tenders = $3,345,000

So that would only leave about $5.8m of cap space. Perhaps some of those RFA Tenders don't get offered and Doss and McClellan get offered vet minimum salaries instead which will be about $645,000 for a 3 year Vet. which would save about $1.5m on the cap providing a total of $7.3m of cap space. Not a lot but trading/cutting Suggs turns that into $14.8m of cap space which should be enough to get Pitta and Munroe done plus maybe some other FA.

The big three are definitely Monroe, Arthur Jones, and Pitta. Realistically Arthur is probably gone. He is a good player, still with solid potential, but someone is going to pay him elite player money. We cannot afford that. Tough loss but Brandon Williams showed good flashes. Remember Brandon was a D2 player. Get an offseason in an NFL weight room and this guy will be a monster. Ozzie is really good at finding cheap d-line depth as well.

Monroe and Pitta should be affordable. Monroe will command a good sized contract but nothing crazy. Maybe something similar to what the Colts paid Gosder Cherilus, 5-years $34.5M with $15.5M guaranteed (maybe a little more due to being a LT and a inflation). Monroe also has a vested interest in the area as his wife is from Columbia. Pitta on the other hand is already 29 years-old coming off a major injury. Pitta and Flacco are best friends. I think there is a really good chance we sign him long-term, if at the very least give him a one-year deal to prove he's fully healed from his injury.

Daryl Smith would be nice to retain, but MLBs are a dime a dozen. This is also why we drafted Arthur Brown. I wouldn't overpay for Smith but would love to have him back.

I love Iheadigbo but his style of play does not compliment Elam's. We need a true free safety so Iheadigbo is probably gone.

The rest of the guys I would not bring back. Even for the veteran minimum these guys don't justify their production. We have a lot of draft picks, fill their spots with younger guys and other team's cap casualties.

In conclusion if we being back Monroe and Pitta I'll be happy.

The big three are definitely Monroe, Arthur Jones, and Pitta. Realistically Arthur is probably gone. He is a good player, still with solid potential, but someone is going to pay him elite player money. We cannot afford that. Tough loss but Brandon Williams showed good flashes. Remember Brandon was a D2 player. Get an offseason in an NFL weight room and this guy will be a monster. Ozzie is really good at finding cheap d-line depth as well.

Monroe and Pitta should be affordable. Monroe will command a good sized contract but nothing crazy. Maybe something similar to what the Colts paid Gosder Cherilus, 5-years $34.5M with $15.5M guaranteed (maybe a little more due to being a LT and a inflation). Monroe also has a vested interest in the area as his wife is from Columbia. Pitta on the other hand is already 29 years-old coming off a major injury. Pitta and Flacco are best friends. I think there is a really good chance we sign him long-term, if at the very least give him a one-year deal to prove he's fully healed from his injury.

Daryl Smith would be nice to retain, but MLBs are a dime a dozen. This is also why we drafted Arthur Brown. I wouldn't overpay for Smith but would love to have him back.

I love Iheadigbo but his style of play does not compliment Elam's. We need a true free safety so Iheadigbo is probably gone.

The rest of the guys I would not bring back. Even for the veteran minimum these guys don't justify their production. We have a lot of draft picks, fill their spots with younger guys and other team's cap casualties.

In conclusion if we being back Monroe and Pitta I'll be happy.

Cleetz,

Concur with bringing back Monroe and Pitta, although I would really like to see Daryl Smith back - we need his vet presence in LB (esp if Suggs is gone).

I get it that Arthur Brown needs to man up big time this year. Still would like to keep Smith, if he can be afforded.

Regarding DeCosta's take on draft, its a foregone conclusion on our need for OL, TE, RB and S. I would be stoked to pick up UNC TE Ebron and match him up w Pitta.

As far as RB, would absolutely love to snatch up BC RB Andre Williams. The guys is a beast - runs much like Marshawn Lynch - and an awesome change up from Ray Rice.

His punishing, powerful N-S style of running reminds me of Jamal Lewis and a guy who WILL convert on 3rd and 1 !!!!!!!

With these two kinds of guys and a repaired OL, our O and Joe Flacco's QB play returns to a level we all know and love. Must have a good draft; no mulligans this year !

:gorave:

RFA Tenders:

Level 1: 1,389,150 $ (Right of First Refusal)
Level 2: 1,389,150 $ or 110% of 2013 salary (Original Round Pick)
Level 3: 2,124,242 $ or 110% of 2013 salary (Second Round Pick)
Level 4: 3,022,559 $ or 110% of 2013 salary (First Round Pick)

2014 Exclusive Rights Free Agent tender:

420,000 $ (0 accrued season)
495,000 $ (1 accrued season)
570,000 $ (2 accrued seasons)

Who plays like a Raven?
That's my measuring stick. cleetz summed it up for me when he stated that he had no problem letting a ton of guys go. Truthfully, they will need a few back for depth and special teams....and camp bodies.

In addition to Monroe and Pita, I want Daryll Smith, Omar Brown and Jacoby Jones back.
Definitely want Arthur Jones, but like everybody said...the price could be outrageous. Losing him is an example of how well the Ravens develop players and then get weaker because of the leagues need for parity.

I have this weird feeling the Ravens bring back the most penalized player in the NFL.

And thanks for all the CAP work RavenMad....well thought out.

and bring in that RB from Towson...West.

And Get Guys Who do This!....

06-raypg-vertical.jpg

We have to keep youth and find some speed.

This team is slow, and that needs to change.

I think there will be a surprise or two.

Arthur Jones isn't 24-25, he is 27. Young enough to hold onto, good enough to keep.

Jacoby Jones is not just a game changer but can win a game for you, if not more.

Each year this team has a big turnover, eight, nine maybe more. Each year, beside this past one, they have made the playoffs with a big turnover of players. So when the times comes and the turnover starts and everyone wants to jump off the bay bridge, let me know when your going so I can get pictures.

Max,

I hear ya but in 2014 how do you describe playing like a Raven ? Now that guys like Ray, Reed, Boldin are long gone, who are they and how do they play? I 'd be interested in your take or any one else's .

Marshal Yanda - I think it was John Madden use to say, hope I am saying it right. He brings his lunch pail with him and just goes to work. His lunch pail is purple.

James Ihedigbo - This guy played big at times, made a very few mistakes but he lived and died with the team.

Arthur Jones - What they need? Let me on the field, I'll do it. This guy just wants to play.

Justin Tucker - did they really replace Matt Stover?

I think they should let Dickson walk the drops outweigh the good plays he's made, then go throw a piece if cheese to tony Gonzalez , having he and pitta would be better then the heap and sharpe combo. Omar is definitely a keeper. But I would still draft one, this draft is to loaded at wr not to draft one.

He plays well when he's interested but he's not interested often enough.

His cap number ($16 million) is way out of whack. Hard to believe they even considered that contract back when he was hungrier as it's for only a DT.

That deal happen due to the fool that owns the team in Washington. Haynesworth was it?

• Upvote 1