ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Deonte Thompson arrested

cravnravn

Absolutely wrong, 's racing was alive and well til west va and Delaware passed their slots bills in the early 90s.They started to draw horsemen from New York down, then their purses started getting bigger from the revenue of slots. Then the dagger, Delaware and west va seen Maryland still dragging their feet and went to the md horsemen and said bring your horses to our tracks and they would provide free horse transportation to and from Delaware and Charlestown,

Now you had 's horses leaving which in turn led to less horses running at laurel and Pimlico which in turn led to fewer fan turn out which in turn led to races with only 4 horses running, a horse gambler won't even bet a race with 4 horses running. Md used to race approximately 200 days a year, with the loss of horses and races it is down to 125 days a year. Pimlico used to open in March and run thru June. I'm pretty sure they don't open now til 2 weeks before the preakness.

All this was done with just revenue from the slots. Charlestown and Delaware did not get table games til the 2000's. And by then the damage was done. Then throw Pennsylvania into the mix with gambling bills passed. And it's the demise of md racing.

And as long as they have Pimlico standing, let's face it, it's an eye sore, and continue to try and run a successful preakness they will be embarrassed. There is only so much lipstick you can put on a pig.

Yeah maybe. I am sure no slots hurt the MD tracks to some degree. I still think it was dying. Not that I know the most people but I am in my mid 40s (sigh) and I have worked numerous jobs with lots people over the years. I know or have known fans of sports both mainstream and niche and yet I havent heard anyone in the past 25 years mention any interest in MD horse racing with the exception of going to the Preakness infield. No one.

I think it would have faded away no matter what. Even the slots thing, I know slots would affect the purses which theoretically would get more people in the stands, tracks getting slots were using something other than horse racing as a draw to get people to come.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah maybe. I am sure no slots hurt the MD tracks to some degree. I still think it was dying. Not that I know the most people but I am in my mid 40s (sigh) and I have worked numerous jobs with lots people over the years. I know or have known fans of sports both mainstream and niche and yet I havent heard anyone in the past 25 years mention any interest in MD horse racing with the exception of going to the Preakness infield. No one.

I think it would have faded away no matter what. Even the slots thing, I know slots would affect the purses which theoretically would get more people in the stands, tracks getting slots were using something other than horse racing as a draw to get people to come.

There are different types of horse races. I hated Charlestown.... BUT I have fond memories at Ocean Downs. They do harness racing which is slower and easier to follow IMO. It was family friendly and I took my nieces there when we went on vacation. Sold ballpark style food and you stand up close to the finish line...feel the ground shake. Since you can do a $2 bet, I'd let them each pick a horse. Hearing my neices cheer their horses on was some fun family memories.

• 1 month later...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/12/marijuana-charges-dropped-against-deonte-thompson/

Marijuana charges dropped against Deonte Thompson

Initially, Ravens receiver Deonte Thompsonfaced felony drug charges. In late February, thefelony became a misdemeanor.

The misdemeanor has now become a “sorry about that, go about your business.”

According to Jamison Hensley of ESPN.com, the case against Thompson was dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

Police arrested Thompson on February 21 in Florida with two other men. Thompson had a duffel bag with marijuana in it. Thompson said the marijuana in his duffel bag wasn’t his marijuana. The other two men said it was theirs.

And that’s all it takes to get prosecutors to realize that the concept of “reasonable doubt” will be satisfied.

Of course, that may not be the end of Thompson’s issues. Behavior can result in a player landing in the NFL’s substance-abuse program. The specific behavior of having a duffel bag with someone else’s marijuana in it could be enough to trigger a full evaluation under the substance-abuse policy and periodic, unannounced testing of Thompson.

Meanwhile, given that the standard NFL penalty for marijuana possession is a one-game suspension and in light of the fact that Thompson will make $33,529.41 per game in 2014, Thompson should at least buy the other two guys their own duffel bags.

when i see people saying it's the law, it's a cop out, yeah thompson got caught with some weed, what's the big deal, and yeah he was stupid about it, i have a circle of friends that have been smoking for over 20 years and not one time have they been caught smoking it or having it in there posession, so yes he was young and dumb about it. Question , is there any other country where in some parts of the country something is illegal and other parts of the country it's legal.

1. Almost every country in the world has a federal system like the us where certain laws are left to local authorities. I don't know for how many something like weed that applies, but technically in the us a state can't over ride federal law... Colorado might just get in trouble soon enough.

2. You are certainly right about the law not being what is right. It s applies to more than just drug laws of course. But Thompson should be smart enough to follow his league's rules. Most NFL contacts forbid players to participate in other sports in the off season (Suggs injury). The league can set whatever standards it likes. Right now it doesn't want players smoking up - and even if it were to be legal I bet the NFL doesn't change it's rile right away because too many people will talk about role models... Deal with it. If you don't like your boss's rules... Get a new job.

1. Almost every country in the world has a federal system like the us where certain laws are left to local authorities. I don't know for how many something like weed that applies, but technically in the us a state can't over ride federal law... Colorado might just get in trouble soon enough.

2. You are certainly right about the law not being what is right. It s applies to more than just drug laws of course. But Thompson should be smart enough to follow his league's rules. Most NFL contacts forbid players to participate in other sports in the off season (Suggs injury). The league can set whatever standards it likes. Right now it doesn't want players smoking up - and even if it were to be legal I bet the NFL doesn't change it's rile right away because too many people will talk about role models... Deal with it. If you don't like your boss's rules... Get a new job.

Fed law trumps state. But anything not enumerated in the constitution for the feds goes to the state (I make jokes). Obama looks to have called off the DEA on Col and Wash. We will see how long this lasts. He said he would do it for med use in states where it was legal but has had more busts in his first 3 yrs than what Bush had in 8. Now as a state this is how I would deal with it. If the Feds are butting into your business and arresting and seizing assets of legal entities than find out who the agents who made the busts are and arrests them for kidnapping and keep them in custody. Make them rat out theri superiors and arrests them for conspiracy. Ignore all fed courts seeking release and say since the feds ignore our laws we will ignore yours. If they keep pushing these agents can go to genpop.