ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Baltimore Ravens extend John Harbaugh's contract

papasmurfbell

Don't understand this move at all. Didn't we all go through this thing with Brian Billick?

I don't get it either, just what is he trying to prove by this ? He just got a 4 yr deal last offseason and so he gets another 1 yr again the very next season ?....He is a way better HC than BB , but this is bazaar.....I plead the Vinny Barbarino on this one " I'm so confused"....lol

i'm not worried. I know if Bisciotti gets another crappy season or two from Harbs he'll can him and eat the contract.

I really don't see what the big deal is either. If he does well*, he will continue being the coach. If he doesn't then he wont. I don't see Bisciotti thinking "Hmmm, John really sucks but I don't want to fire him because he has two years left on his contract".

*admittedly a subjective term

I just dont see contract situations affecting most coaches. Coaches want to win whether they have one year left on their contract or four. It might be a distraction for some coaches so it may be better to not have them coaching as lame ducks, and I am sure some coaches may be a bit more cautious in the final year of their contract - but I am not sure thats a good thing.

I just dont see this as being a much of a deal, the people that dislike him are going to complain but it really affects nothing. I dont see the time and logic behind the move either, I am assuming there is one, but either way it doesnt bother me.

So when Steve extended him the first time I think after yr 4 when he had a yr left and I said it was stupid but was told you can't have being one yr left be a distraction was a BS excuse at the time?

I dont know, do you think he would have been distracted by coaching in the last year of his contract? Some seem to be, some dont. Either way coaches teams want to keep rarely coach a season being a lame duck. Maybe you disagree with it, but thats the way it usually is.

Do you think he would coach any better, or more to your liking if his feet were held to the fire so to speak? I am not sure being scared or worried about your job would make a person coach better.

Will adding a year onto the years he has left affect him? I'm confident in saying no. Why would it? Im not omipotent like you so while I dont think having him coach in the last year of his contract would have affected him - I cannot say for sure.

Like you were with Billick, you dont like Harbaugh so you you think its a bad deal. Its really a deal that doesnt affect much at all. The only thing it does for sure is give more money to Harbaugh. It doesnt guarantee him being the coach for any amount of time or anything.

Go ahead and let it bother you, and let it make you think the owner has been duped. I dont know why you care so much, youre admittedly not a fan.

Edited by Spen
  • Upvote 1

If it wont effect him then let him play with the 3 yrs left on his deal. Again it is poor business.

But it's great for you! You now have 4 more years to hate on him.

If it wont effect him then let him play with the 3 yrs left on his deal. Again it is poor business.

Agreed. This is pizz poor business sense. This organization kept extending Billick until it was too expensive to let him go when it was all too obvious he'd lost his team. Why not let Harbaugh play out his original contract then negotiate anew. After all, Harbaugh, like Billick before him, is not likely to attract many HC suitors on the open market.