ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I Like the Sound of This

oldno82

Mel Kiper's recommendations for the first 3 rounds of the draft:

"Kiper’s Three-Round Draft Predictions … Take RB In Round 3

Well, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper and Hensley are on the same page about the Ravens using the third round to take a running back.
Kiper gave his three-round draft predictions for each of the 32 NFL teams, and he has changed his thoughts about wide receiver for the Ravens. He doesn’t have the team selecting a wide receiver with their first four picks.
Here’s what he thinks could happen:
Round 1 (17) OT Zack Martin, Notre Dame
Round 2 (48) S Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois
Round 3 (79) RB Dri Archer, Kent St.
Round 3 (99) TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame (Comp)
“The addition of Steve Smith shifts my priority a little here,” Kiper wrote. “Initially, Brandin Cooks would have seemed like an ideal fit, but it's a deep draft at the skill positions on offense, and I'm going to address a pretty significant need at tackle, where Ricky Wagner would be starting on the right side if the season started tomorrow. Martin, who was solid at left tackle for the Irish, can play early.
“I get the free safety I need in Round 2, where Ward is a steal. I look for an explosive playmaker in Round 3. Archer adds another dimension to the offense -- he's a Darren Sproles-type. In Round 3, I'm adding a tight end in Niklas after Jordan Tripp comes off the board with Denver a few picks earlier.”
If we got all these guys, I'd be very happy.
Here's some video of Archer:
Edited by oldno82

The fact that they signed Forsett most likely precludes them from going anywhere near Archer.

I don't think they're expecting anything big from Forsett..

But they might wait until the 4th round for a back.

I like the idea of West. West is 5'9" 230lbs. At that ht wt ratio, that's a big man and he retains 4.54 speed. Rice is a smaller back and pierce is 6 foot 230. So I think West can pound a lil bit. Plus he showed at his workout that he can catch. It was in the rain. Sometimes it's not good to play in your hometown but if he's not the starter, then why not?

P, I think we have to get him with that late 3rd rounder because I think our 4th is late also. I think it's so late, it's like a 5th round pick. I thought pierce was 230. If he's 220 then that's all the more reason to take a hard look at West. A lot of Ravens fans want a hammer, a Jamal but there's not many around that combine that kind of size, speed, and strength. Jamal was rare. Jamal ran around a 4.4 at around 240. If he was in this draft, he would be a late 1st or early 2nd. But I think West could be worth the risk with that late 3rd round pick .

I like the idea of West. West is 5'9" 230lbs. At that ht wt ratio, that's a big man and he retains 4.54 speed. Rice is a smaller back and pierce is 6 foot 230. So I think West can pound a lil bit. Plus he showed at his workout that he can catch. It was in the rain. Sometimes it's not good to play in your hometown but if he's not the starter, then why not?

West is a borderline midget, and I've had enough of them....Give me a AP, Lynch, Lacy type that can run over someone if need be....The midgets have to rely on finesse and sometimes that just won't work....

• Upvote 1

West is a borderline midget, and I've had enough of them....Give me a AP, Lynch, Lacy type that can run over someone if need be....The midgets have to rely on finesse and sometimes that just won't work....

Me too...but the word of the day is "system". Does a big bodied RB fit in the system? I'd went after Blount

P, I think we have to get him with that late 3rd rounder because I think our 4th is late also. I think it's so late, it's like a 5th round pick. I thought pierce was 230. If he's 220 then that's all the more reason to take a hard look at West. A lot of Ravens fans want a hammer, a Jamal but there's not many around that combine that kind of size, speed, and strength. Jamal was rare. Jamal ran around a 4.4 at around 240. If he was in this draft, he would be a late 1st or early 2nd. But I think West could be worth the risk with that late 3rd round pick .

They might pull more picks from trade backs. Jamal ran a 4.37 coming out of UT.

I saw a report about how runners under 6 ft hold up better because they avoid so many hits.

They might pull more picks from trade backs. Jamal ran a 4.37 coming out of UT.

I saw a report about how runners under 6 ft hold up better because they avoid so many hits.

I agree. Lower center of gravity. Better balance and usually, to run people over you want to get lower than them while maintaining your forward lean and balance. Taller backs tend to run high. That's why they have more injuries. If a shorter back can carry the weight and maintain speed, it works well. 5-10 or 5-11 are good heights. West is 5-9 by reports.

I would prefer Andre Williams out of Boston College as my big back. 5-11 230 runs a 4.56

http://youtu.be/Ujt1S9P2XHE

I do like this kid but I heard his 40 time wasn't great. But that's ok if he plays fast. The question is will he be around in the late 3rd. I think if he and West are both there when the Ravens are ready to pick a back, it will be a hard decision. Williams did have much better opposition. He ripped up my Noles.

That's what I'm talkin' about !!....Put about 10 lbs on him and you got the making of a super star RB.....I'm buying !!

Damn right ! I have been saying this kid since last fall when he gouged and ran all over the Terps. He's a wrecking machine, hammer and the kind of runner we've been missing since JLew. I sure hope he's there for the Ravens .

Damn right ! I have been saying this kid since last fall when he gouged and ran all over the Terps. He's a wrecking machine, hammer and the kind of runner we've been missing since JLew. I sure hope he's there for the Ravens .

He's no Jlew, I'm sure of that. Not one in this draft.

For a RB 40 time is not hugely important unless he is moving at slug speed. More important is burst and acceleration. BArry Sanders was not really that fast but he could stop and start so fast that he would break a defender down.

Barry was more quick, change of direction, and burst. You're right about that but he didn't lack speed. He wasn't a 4.3 guy but he surely was well above average in speed.

P, that's not to disagree with you. I agree, 40 times don't make a great back. Some guys play faster than they run a drill. But it's a nice luxury to have. That's all.

Hey guys, I'd be happy with either West (who I think has demonstrated power) or Archer (big and fast). All I know is we've got to draft our next franchise RB.

How big is Archer, thought he was a little guy.

West is more of a grinder. From what I have seen, he didn't have a ton of huge runs. More chunk gashes than 50 - 60 yard bursts.

But we are talking about a guy that will likely be 3rd on the depth chart. He'll get some run during Rice's suspension. Buts he's going to be HB3.

Barry was more quick, change of direction, and burst. You're right about that but he didn't lack speed. He wasn't a 4.3 guy but he surely was well above average in speed.

P, that's not to disagree with you. I agree, 40 times don't make a great back. Some guys play faster than they run a drill. But it's a nice luxury to have. That's all.

I don't think Barry was that fast. I saw him caught from behind an awful lot. I thought he was in the 4.5 range.

I don't think Barry was that fast. I saw him caught from behind an awful lot. I thought he was in the 4.5 range.

Above average. He got caught at the end of 80 yarders or 60. He didn't have long speed (100 meter sprinter speed) and usually made a lot of moves just to break the runs. Barry was 4.4 but I'll look for it.