ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I told you he wasn't a #1

Oldschool739

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

ESPN's Matt Williamson put together an Insider post on the true No. 1 pass catchers in the league, and (spoiler alert) Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith was not among the 14 players who made the cut.

This is a fair assessment, and you probably wouldn't hear an argument from the Ravens. Smith doesn't consistently make the same impact as other receivers in the AFC North like A.J. Green and Josh Gordon, both of whom made the list.

Smith looked like a premier receiver in the first five games last season, when he ranked first in the AFC and third in the NFL with 556 yards receiving. He had back-to-back 100-yard games against the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins. Smith just couldn't keep up that pace.

In his final eight games, Smith produced 499 yards receiving, which ranked 29th in the league over that span. The Ravens needed to win one of their final two games to reach the playoffs, and Smith totaled 96 yards receiving in the last two weeks.

Could Torrey Smith develop into one? Possibly. For now, the Ravens want more balance from their passing attack. The expectation is for the receptions to be spread out after the Ravens re-signed tight end Dennis Pitta and added wide receiver Steve Smith and tight end Owen Daniels.

Sorry not to talk steelers but any list with out AB on it is a joke. Dude killed it last year and missed two games or he may have led the league in every receiving category. I personally am a fan of Smith and I have questioned if he was a true number 1 or is he like a Mike Wallace. I didn't watch much of the Ravens last year so I can't really say for right now. Up until then it was like if you took away the go route and the out route you could eliminate him from the game for the most part. He'll Wallace you just have to take away the go route. Did he go across the middle much last year and if he did how'd he do? One thing you can't take away from him is character. I don't follow him in the off season but if how he carries himself tells me anything he probably puts in a bunch of work in the off season and he is what 25? Is there remove to improve absolutely but that could be said about any player. I know you a lot better with him then you would be without him.

I'm not an insider I'm kinda interested in seeing the 14 that made the list and Josh Gordon are you kidding me. 200 of his yards came against the steelers in absolute garbage time. He needs to do it for more then one season to be considered a true number one. I bet they took the size of the WR into consideration which to me is crap.

This is a fair assessment

By who?

This stuff is a joke, and just our Steelers friend is pointing where did Gordon get his big games at?

You can't say this guy is this and that guy is that, don't work.

Who is he playing against, what is the game about, who is the QB, is the line giving the QB time to get the ball down field. Even comes down to the refs. Is the raf letting them get away with some grabbing. There is just to much that goes into a game for any player.

Now if you got a guy that can't get open, that lets the ball hit the ground, that can't read the play.

I don't give a shit what the experts say! I put more stock in all of your opinions. And I'm riding solo on this one. It's cool with me and my opinion hasn't changed. Williamson is the same guy who said the Ravens had no chance in Denver in Jan 2013. Just because any of those guys say it doesn't make it fact. It's opinion and mine hasn't changed. Lol! Williamson! Lol!

• Upvote 1

I don't give a #*#* what the experts say! I put more stock in all of your opinions. And I'm riding solo on this one. It's cool with me and my opinion hasn't changed. Williamson is the same guy who said the Ravens had no chance in Denver in Jan 2013. Just because any of those guys say it doesn't make it fact. It's opinion and mine hasn't changed. Lol! Williamson! Lol!

I hear you BG, and you may be right about this guy Willianson, but you have to admit ,if the article said TS was a true #1 and loved all up on him, you'd say, brilliant article !!....lol

I hear you BG, and you may be right about this guy Willianson, but you have to admit ,if the article said TS was a true #1 and loved all up on him, you'd say, brilliant article !!....lol

Not likely. Williamson is from Pittsburgh and he worked in the Browns organization. He rarely praises the Ravens. It's always begrudgingly if he does. He thinks he's not partial. So no, I really don't put much stock into what he says good or bad.

Note that the Browns sucked when he worked there and no other team seems to be looking to add him but yet he's an expert. Yeah, no thanks to his views.

Now if Ross Tucker had said this, I might take it more into account even tho I don't agree with him all of the time, he's impartial. Still wouldn't change my mind tho.

Not likely. Williamson is from Pittsburgh and he worked in the Browns organization. He rarely praises the Ravens. It's always begrudgingly if he does. He thinks he's not partial. So no, I really don't put much stock into what he says good or bad.

Note that the Browns sucked when he worked there and no other team seems to be looking to add him but yet he's an expert. Yeah, no thanks to his views.

Now if Ross Tucker had said this, I might take it more into account even tho I don't agree with him all of the time, he's impartial. Still wouldn't change my mind tho.

I guess it's gonna take Marlon or someone else to take his #1 spot with us to convince you then....I don't know if that will happen but I do know there are far better wr's than him at this point, and unless he gets better, it's just a matter of time before someone does....We'll have to wait and see, hopefully you are right !!

I guess it's gonna take Marlon or someone else to take his #1 spot with us to convince you then....I don't know if that will happen but I do know there are far better wr's than him at this point, and unless he gets better, it's just a matter of time before someone does....We'll have to wait and see, hopefully you are right !!

Words definitely won't change my mind. But as I said, would you want to be without him? And I think he proves it to everyone else this season barring injury. But if he doesn't get injured and doesn't play up this yr then I might have to rethink my opinion but right now, I'll stand my ground. I hope you all are happy when he proves it. Lol! It'd be better for our Ravens.

RBG, look at it this way. It is more the "catch radius" (a popular phrase today), of Smith that holds him back. Currently, the ball has to just about be perfectly placed for him to catch it, go uncontested. Unlike many of the other receivers mentioned who can catch the ball thrown outside of their body frame, who can take the ball away when contested.

Pita is an excellant example. One reason the Ravens upped him is because he does just that, has a huge catch radius. Smith has shown flashes, but he still struggles to find the ball in the air on deep routes and if the ball is thrown outside his frame, it will not be caught. He "flails" his arms when on a deep route and trying to adjust to the ball. All this leads to his ranking today, which I agree, he is not top 10, maybe even not top 15, and certainly only a #1 because of the way the Ravens play and because they have no one better right now. Maybe that will change with Steve Smith on the team... who knows...

• Upvote 1

Lol! Gentlemen, you won't change my opinion. If you can respect it, that's enough for me. I respect the fact you don't agree with me. While I understand what you're saying, I look at what he did without a lot of help and the fact that he still accomplished it. After week 5 it was bracket coverage. This yr I expect different. So I expect more. I'll revisit the subject after the season. If he doesn't show what I think he will, I'll be the first to admit it.