ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Why are we wasting tax money

papasmurfbell

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-410-MT-Bank-Stadium-To-Be-Transformed-Into-Baseball-Field/fc0f8d23-c241-46ab-a7d0-5e0e6bddd0b5

M&T Bank Stadium To Be Transformed Into Baseball Field

Ah, this brings back memories of old Memorial Stadium, which hosted both baseball and football (and other sports) games in Baltimore.

Now M&T Bank Stadium will be temporality transformed into a baseball field at the request of cornerbackLardarius Webbicon-article-link.gif.

Webb teased fans for a few days on social media earlier this month, letting them know a big announcement was coming. He finally revealed last week that instead of holding his popular annual Ravens charity softball game at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, he will hold it at M&T Bank Stadium in downtown Baltimore.

Of course, the Ravens’ stadium was mainly constructed for football games.

So Webb and his peeps are getting to work on transforming it to a baseball diamond.

“For those wondering how we will turn M&T Bank Stadium into a baseball field,” Webb tweeted yesterday with the diagram below.

10_LFW_BaseballField_instory.jpg

Webb got some surprised, yet excited, reactions from fans to the news.

“wait what? Why? When?” tweeted @TheRealBigSean.

“Whaaaaat,” added @shianne_01.

“Yo this is gonna be so dope!” wrote @ObsequioGalante.

“That's a helluva shot in left field to hit a homer!” wrote @mikeimboden. Webb responded to explain that he isbringing in a shorter fence for left field.

How did Webb convince the stadium authorities to undertake such transformation?

“I guess I’m coming up in the world,” Webb told 105.7 The Fan. Yes, and being the starting Ravens cornerback doesn’t hurt either. It’s obviously for a good cause, too.

United Way is pairing with The Lardarius Webb Foundation for the event and proceeds will help the Boys & Girls Club of Baltimore. The date of the eighth-annual event is June 1. Former offensive lineman Ben Grubbs used to host the event when he was in Baltimore.

It is usually a star-filled event, and Webb announced that new receiver Steve Smith, Sr.icon-article-link.gif will be one of the participants. In the past, Ray Lewis, Jacoby Jonesicon-article-link.gif and Torrey Smithicon-article-link.gif have also been in attendance.

Once the transformation is underway, you can be sure BaltimoreRavens.com will have photos and video for you.

Play this at CY or something. It was fine at Aberdeen too. This is a waste.

For real !!.....They owe us anyway, from crashing our home opener last yr.....That's a dumb idea Webby, I see flop written all over it...

I hope it isn't a flop. Hope it is a chance for some inner city youth to get out and watch.

That past years were a "flop" not many city residents could make it out of aberdeen, nor many from this side of beltway. So having it at M & T will bring in more people which should equal more money for the kids. Or at least more money for the people who are trying to help the kids..... but then, I am biased when it comes to charities and their monies....

That past years were a "flop" not many city residents could make it out of aberdeen, nor many from this side of beltway. So having it at M & T will bring in more people which should equal more money for the kids. Or at least more money for the people who are trying to help the kids..... but then, I am biased when it comes to charities and their monies....

camden13_top2.jpg

So what is it they do in this place? And where is it located?

Who says any tax dollars are paying for this?

The field changes were being done by the MSA. Those are state funds.

camden13_top2.jpg

So what is it they do in this place? And where is it located?

The field changes were being done by the MSA. Those are state funds.

I may be wrong, but I thought the Maryland Stadium Authority was funded by the lottery.

I don't recall Ray Lewis having any trouble getting youth groups out to Westminster for camps, Webbys is a one day 3hr event, he has an in with the Orioles, can't see why he can't use CY. We are not talking about any permanent field modifications here.

I don't recall Ray Lewis having any trouble getting youth groups out to Westminster for camps, Webbys is a one day 3hr event, he has an in with the Orioles, can't see why he can't use CY. We are not talking about any permanent field modifications here.

Web is no Lewis. Lewis could hold an event on the moon and the kids would show, fans would show. There is a lot that goes into "getting a field" even if you have an "in". The dates available were not likely condusive for the event. I am not sure what the fuss is about, the tax payers will get their money back so to speak in the form of vending sales.

Web is no Lewis. Lewis could hold an event on the moon and the kids would show, fans would show. There is a lot that goes into "getting a field" even if you have an "in". The dates available were not likely condusive for the event. I am not sure what the fuss is about, the tax payers will get their money back so to speak in the form of vending sales.

Did you ever attend Webb's event at Ripken stadium? It was mobbed, my eldest son always attends it, unfortunately Webb always held his softball event the same weekend the ravens roosts held there parade down at ocean city, that's where I preferred to go.

How is that? That money will be going into Biscoti's pocket.

Did you ever attend Webb's event at Ripken stadium? It was mobbed, my eldest son always attends it, unfortunately Webb always held his softball event the same weekend the ravens roosts held there parade down at ocean city, that's where I preferred to go.

well then, maybe he needs a bigger place to hold this event.

How is that? That money will be going into Biscoti's pocket.

Um not entirely, there is a contract that the MSA gets a % of the concessions. Believe me, if you are this worried about a few tax dollars going to waste, there are bigger fish to fry, far more money, tax payer, being wasted. it doesn't cost much to make this into a softball field espcially since it is the new field turf, artificial.

Camden Yards is likely off limits during baseball season. That's the easy answer.

As for the stadium authority completing the changes - first, do you think Webb gets to hold the event for free? I bet there is some charge to the event itself that covers some of the charges. Second, the stadium has been remodeled in numerous ways for lacrosse and concerts and more... In a sense is the event not an investment to now be able to say, "look at the new types of events we can hold now" and earn more on future baseball style events?

I highly doubt they would charge enough. Just like Towson doesn't charge what it costs them to hold the Special Olympics. Yeah paying events that bring in revenue have had the stadium altered. Being tax exempt I don't think the cities amusement tax is charged.

What do you want to bet that there will be no other baseball style events other than charity Ravens events?