ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The NFLPA is just hurting their players

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/18/manning-gase-visit-to-saban-may-have-violated-offseason-rules/

As Saban explained it, Manning was accompanied by offensive coordinator Adam Gase. Saban also said that Manning and Gase were “making some visits.”

“To be honest with you, [Manning] was just trying to learn so he could be a better player,” Saban said. “I think a lot of people would say, ‘Wow, the guy is one of the best, if not the best, and certainly from a career standpoint probably about as good as anybody’s been in the history of the league. After all the experience and knowledge that he has, he’s going out and trying to seek more knowledge and understanding of the game of football so he can play better.”

That’s admirable. It’s also a potential CBA violation.

The new labor deal, struck in 2011, places clear limits on offseason activities. Under Article 21, Section 2(a)(ii), players “are not permitted to participate in . . . group or individual meetings with coaches” prior to the start of the team’s official offseason workout program.

The Broncos have yet to start their official offseason program. Gase and Manning aren’t allowed to meet. Either Saban is lying (because “I’m not going to be the Alabama coach“), it looks like they met.

Yeah the unattended consequence. I think the NFLPA should go to the league and reword this to allow for voluntary meetings.

Yep, I think the players are now starting to see they screwed up. Now, will the owners want the change? Seems there is some barganing to be done, more work outs with coaches, owners get to set one player aside who will only count sat 50% of his salary against the cap.......

Just to take the other side for a moment... The whole point of such rules is to stop coaches and teams from taking advantage. The traditional question is always, "just how voluntary are these meetings?" Because it doesn't take much before someone starts saying you better be there or even using your attendance (or lack thereof) as bait in a salary negotiation or dispute...

I don't disagree, but it still leaves the issue open. What about the coach who tells you before season end, "remember that you have to come do some work, so fill out this form that requests help."

The whole point of mandatory off time is to totally eliminate the chance for exploitation by eliminating all work.

My biggest question remains: should such requirements apply to millionaires who only work nine month schedules?