ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Machado's Antics

dc.

First, he's going to get suspended and he should.

But side from that, Buck needs to bench him if this crap continues. Matt Williams had the balls to bench Harper for not hustling to first, but Buck is going to keep quiet on the crap Manny is pulling?

The major image in my mind is... Justin Bieber. He's too cool, too good, too valuable for anyone and any team. I don't agree that any other team needs to "take him down a notch" (though they will soon enough), but his manager needs to.

Machado is your prototypical modern, misguided athlete who needs a strong mentor before he turns into another A-Rod.

Otherwise, the organization, Buck, etc need to sit Machado down right now and teach the young lad humility, professional etiquette, and general sportsmanship.

This kid has a lot of talent; I d hate to see him squander it.

Mehhh I dont know from that clip, why throw the bat at the 3rd baseman?

First, some think he was aiming for the pitcher but missed. But it was clearly intentional. He swung after the catcher caught the ball.

Second, he may have asked for this base because of the feud they had all weekend (though the guy he was feuding with had been subbed out).

I don't get people being as upset with the swings he had that knocked the catcher out of the game... Maybe he wasn't cordial enough in checking on the catcher, but didn't look intentional.

Machado is your prototypical modern, misguided athlete who needs a strong mentor before he turns into another A-Rod.

Otherwise, the organization, Buck, etc need to sit Machado down right now and teach the young lad humility, professional etiquette, and general sportsmanship.

This kid has a lot of talent; I d hate to see him squander it.

Until the last two weeks, this hasn't been an issue... So I don't know that I agree with your diagnosis...

Maybe something is up suddenly. More likely, several As players talked about teaching him a lesson - like a few teams have said about Harper and Puig - before being oddly aggressive. I think that attitude of putting young players in their place is crap. Donaldson, the As 3b who had been so good has the major league experience as Machado... But because he's 28 no one cars about his attitude?

DC,

We can agree to disagree. Machado is a franchise player, a rising star and so the organization needs to keep out in front of character issues.

He doesn't need a shrink, just a strong mentor to give him valuable guidance and how to be a pro athlete. No more, no less.

I don't really think it matters whether it's an A's thing or otherwise. Whether this is an isolated issue or something new in his personality, the response by the team should be harsh and firm. I can't really see an instance where anything the A's could do would justify this behavior.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-apparently-manny-machado-wasnt-the-only-one-who-needed-to-apologize-20140609,0,2489324.story

Schmuck calling out the O's for handling of the situation - especially for not making Machado available to media, in violation of MLB rules pre and post game - and then monopolizing the apology and not letting any non-MASN inquiries into the event. The O's are claiming it's fair to have "exclusive rights" over the story for MASN - but I think Schmuck is right that while you might get exclusivity on broadcasting the apology, you don't get to shut the player down from all media contact.