ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Playoffs: Divisional Weekend

deeshopper

Guest BallTMore

Just isn't our day. Never is against Indy.

Reed makes two nice plays, but just a quick as the play is made, it is given back.

Nice season.

We clearly need to make a bid on a BIG NAME receiver. Unfortunately, I don't think there is one out there to be had.

Well, Ozzie knows what needs to be done in the offseason... RECEIVER!! Mason, Clayton, Williams, Washington, these guys are all not going to cut it. This team was the #3 defense in the league and the #13 offense in the league, next season definitely looks bright.

Lots of mistakes... and just such a perfect example of this team this year...

Even when we make amazing plays (both of Eds picks and Ray's run), we get fucked.

Manning is a weenie, by the way. Take the hit, pansy.

And finally... almost unrelated but it continues to bother me... Freeney. Dierdorf made it sound like he was some superhuman monster out there, especially when noting that "he lines up so far outside and then gets in there!" Excuse me, but the lining up outside is just a cheap way to get an extra step/two of momentum going into the line. He is usually OUTSIDE of the outside linebacker when he lines up. Hell, you might as well call it a corner blitz every damn play. And that's why their defense gives up 120 on the ground every game. And that's why he was chasing Rice from behind. They've found a way to make it work (if your offense can score, the other team HAS to throw), but I'm tired of people talking like Freeney is doing something phenomenal. He's a cheap trick.

• Upvote 1

Even when we make amazing plays (both of Eds picks and Ray's run), we get fucked.

And finally... almost unrelated but it continues to bother me... Freeney. Dierdorf made it sound like he was some superhuman monster out there, especially when noting that "he lines up so far outside and then gets in there!" Excuse me, but the lining up outside is just a cheap way to get an extra step/two of momentum going into the line. He is usually OUTSIDE of the outside linebacker when he lines up. Hell, you might as well call it a corner blitz every damn play. And that's why their defense gives up 120 on the ground every game. And that's why he was chasing Rice from behind. They've found a way to make it work (if your offense can score, the other team HAS to throw), but I'm tired of people talking like Freeney is doing something phenomenal. He's a cheap trick.

I do agree, but even still we were not able to run the ball...

Yea, a cheap trick that is among the sack leaders year in and year out. And a perennial pro bowler. Give me a break!

Putting up 3 points against a defense like that tells me that we're a lot further than "a star receiver" away from having a good offense. Plenty of good quarterbacks do more with less than we have at receiver. I think it's time to admit that we're using the "no #1 receiver" thing as a scapegoat, when really our offensive stalling has more to do with the guy calling the plays and the guy throwing the rock.

Putting up 3 points against a defense like that tells me that we're a lot further than "a star receiver" away from having a good offense. Plenty of good quarterbacks do more with less than we have at receiver. I think it's time to admit that we're using the "no #1 receiver" thing as a scapegoat, when really our offensive stalling has more to do with the guy calling the plays and the guy throwing the rock.

That is true, Joe did miss some open receivers, but you have to admit that 7 dropped passes out of 35 attempts does a lot of damage. Joe is probably scared to throw the ball to any receiver outside of Mason, Heap, and Rice. Route planning deserves it share of the blame too. It is pretty pathetic when Joe gets 5 seconds to throw or buy himself some extra time by rolling out and our receivers CANNOT GET OFF OF THE JAM! That is the difference between us and Pittsburgh, when Ben rolls out his receivers come back to the QB (even a rookie like Mike Wallace understood this right away) and get hit for big gains, our receivers are still covered.

Perennial pro-bowler... as voted by people who vote on stats.

My point is that just like Jared Allen... he does one thing. He rushes the passer. That's it. And in my mind, he lines up 4 yards off the LT and then we all act like he's such a brilliant pass rusher. But again, it's practically a corner blitz - not an end.

Perennial pro-bowler... as voted by people who vote on stats.

My point is that just like Jared Allen... he does one thing. He rushes the passer. That's it. And in my mind, he lines up 4 yards off the LT and then we all act like he's such a brilliant pass rusher. But again, it's practically a corner blitz - not an end.

If this is the case, then why don't we have Suggs and Barnes line up like that on obvious passing downs? I understand that Suggs is more of a linebacker than a rush-end, but on obvious passing downs where we let him loose we need to get some better rush. To me, Suggs jump off the ball is not very good.

It's a good question. But I've just noticed it every time we play Freeney, and say it every game to whoever I'm with... and I've never had anyone dispute that he lines up pretty much with the slot receiver!