ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Spank the Yanks

We've already discussed why the A's will falter ... I'm more worried about the Angels and maybe even Mariners (given that pitching).

The Tigers seem to own us, too, so that's no fun - but I think they are beatable, especially if Verlander doesn't turn it around.

Oh, I'm sure the A's don't care and I was more making a joke - that we have diagnosed them as flawed, so, there! ;)

I do think the A's are flawed in a few ways that could definitely show up and hurt them; but there's always a team or two that just win regardless of what makes sense - the Red Sox were even an example of that in my mind last year. No way Napoli and Ross and Victorino could keep playing so far over their heads... and then they did. Even the same with the O's in 2012. No way we could keep winning in extras or one-run games... no way the bullpen could keep being perfect... and then it was.

So all I'm saying is with the A's - their bats are quite timely right now, but I don't see that continuing forever. And then add that several pitchers are having career years - including the newly acquired Samarzdjia and Hammels - and what happens if they don't pan out? Or even when they regress to their norms? They could still wind up with great end-of-year stats, but an average second half could mean an A's team that falls back to the pack.

The A's have had some pretty mixed results against the AL East anyway (they were under 500 against the East until they beat up on the Yanks and Jays in recent weeks, I believe). And I am hopeful that our normal west coast crappy play will be moderated by the AS Break - hopefully the jet lag won't be so bad.