ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Sounds like the O's are going to get Lester

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be amazing to watch this blow up in Peter's face. A 30 yr old pitcher gets off one roster and will be saddled to a div rival. Then Boston will get a young arm to torch the O's with for yrs.

It's a no win for us. We trade them and they flourish for someone else, or we keep them an they blow out their arms.

Depends who we give up. Gausman, Harvey, Bundy - no way. But any of our second tier guys - sure. I mean, it's not a huge win for us and I doubt he will sign with us, but the odds that so many of our really young guys become what we envision... slim to none.

Not sure why the Red Sox are asking so much (maybe in the end they won't). Lester has practically promised to come back if they make a fair offer and almost anything in a trade will be better than a compensatory pick. What do they have to lose?

So you have to hold onto as many as possible to increase the odds that you have a real gem.

Yeah - but you also have to play the odds sometimes. Not only is it unlikely that so many of those second tier guys will ever pan out, but even if they do, the odds of being a "real gem" are almost nothing. The teams you tout, Papa, don't find "gems" that just pop up out of no where - they've seen them coming for years. I'm not putting stock in much of our farm system if we haven't heard their names in legit top prospect conversations yet.

Cool so if Peter does this (im pretending to know like others claim to know that Peter makes all the calls) then it's going to blow up and be stupid and I'm sure if he does nothing it would be proof he doesn't want to win.

Fun stuff.

So you have to hold onto as many as possible to increase the odds that you have a real gem.

Yeah because holding Rocky Coppinger, Matt Riley, Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera, Brian Matusz, Jake Artieta (before he flamed out), Adam Loewen, and many other "top" prospects worked so well. Luckily we could salvage Zach Britton's career but that looked extremely bleak up until this season.

I am not saying you are wrong in theory, I am saying I have no confidence in the Orioles developing a stud pitcher. No way I trade Gausman, looks like we managed not to mess him up. But Harvey and Bundy, especially with their arm issues, I'd absolutely be open to trading them.

Yeah because holding Rocky Coppinger, Matt Riley, Hayden Penn, Daniel Cabrera, Brian Matusz, Jake Artieta (before he flamed out), Adam Loewen, and many other "top" prospects worked so well. Luckily we could salvage Zach Britton's career but that looked extremely bleak up until this season.

I am not saying you are wrong in theory, I am saying I have no confidence in the Orioles developing a stud pitcher. No way I trade Gausman, looks like we managed not to mess him up. But Harvey and Bundy, especially with their arm issues, I'd absolutely be open to trading them.

I'm not moving Bundy. No way. And Harvey is now out for the year, so I doubt he's on the table. But some of those guys like Rodriguez we hear about 'on the farm'.... they were never meant to be anything anyway, they just happen to be decent suddenly. Doubting they ever turn it up.

I will say on the other side, though, that most of the guys you mention came through our system when it was at it's absolute worst - not just in terms of who the prospects were, but also in terms of the organization of our coaching. Showalter has been focused on that issue especially - trying to bring our lower level teams into line teaching and building the right skills so that guys are actually major league ready. Most say he's been fairly successful and Duquette and some other additions (like our new pitching coach, name is escaping me) have helped because they have been "organization" guys in the past, not just coaches and top level.

Yeah - but you also have to play the odds sometimes. Not only is it unlikely that so many of those second tier guys will ever pan out, but even if they do, the odds of being a "real gem" are almost nothing. The teams you tout, Papa, don't find "gems" that just pop up out of no where - they've seen them coming for years. I'm not putting stock in much of our farm system if we haven't heard their names in legit top prospect conversations yet.

And we have not seen it with Bundy and Gausman? Harvy was doing pretty well before getting hurt. These are the type of guys that were being talked about. I also heard Schoop which doesn't make sense either. The kid really could be the all star mainstay at 2nd.

I will say on the other side, though, that most of the guys you mention came through our system when it was at it's absolute worst - not just in terms of who the prospects were, but also in terms of the organization of our coaching. Showalter has been focused on that issue especially - trying to bring our lower level teams into line teaching and building the right skills so that guys are actually major league ready. Most say he's been fairly successful and Duquette and some other additions (like our new pitching coach, name is escaping me) have helped because they have been "organization" guys in the past, not just coaches and top level.

Exactly what I was going to say. This has not been a single GM and scouting dept over all this time. Andy and Dan have both been on the same page. They need to stay on that direction.

Deal surprises me. It's going to hurt the A's in the long-run.

First, they are trading a serious bat. I wonder how their line-up functions without him. Not to mention the defensive hit they will take. I already mentioned how I thought their bats were overperforming - maybe this will hurt.

Their arms of course are going to be outstanding. But they won't be able to keep Lester or Samardizja beyond this year - maybe one, but I doubt it.

I guess it could be all in for this year, but I am not convinced they can do it without the bats!