ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Tyler Eifert, Jamie Collins among sophomores poised for a '14 breakout

Jungletiger

Tyler Eifert, Jamie Collins among sophomores poised for a '14 breakout

breakout-players-tyler-eifert-jamie-coll
Photo: Peter Aiken/Getty Images
Posted: Thu Aug. 14, 2014

"Now that it's my second year in the league, I actually get it," said Chargers offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, a 15-game starter in 2013 after he was selected No. 11 overall in the draft. "Being a rookie was awesome, but now I really understand everything. Things are slowing down, and I'm even more confident. I understand the concepts better."

While some first-year arrivals do manage to take the NFL by storm -- Sheldon Richardson, Eddie Lacy and Eric Reid were among those who did so last year -- many young players need far more time to acclimate themselves. By Year 2, at least in most cases, the training wheels are off. In turn, expectations are raised.

Fluker believes he will take a step forward in 2014. Which 10 fellow second-year players could join him?

Tyler Eifert, TE, Bengals

Cincinnati never quite figured out how to maximize Eifert last season -- he saw less than five targets in 11 of his 16 games, including a wild-card loss to San Diego in which he was hampered by a neck injury. The Bengals are banking on an across-the-board improvement from Eifert (he had just 39 catches, 445 yards, two touchdowns in his rookie season), and that was true even before starting wide receiver Marvin Jones suffered a broken foot recently.

With Jones likely to miss several weeks, Eifert could see more snaps in the slot, on top of the planned increase in two tight end sets. Eifert may benefit, too, from Hue Jackson's arrival as offensive coordinator. His predecessor, new Washington head coach Jay Gruden, did coax 166 receptions out of Jermaine Gresham over three seasons but was not as successful at finding space for the more agile Eifert.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/14/breakout-players-tyler-eifert-jamie-collins