ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NFl implements NEW domestic violence standards

tsylvester

WOW, 1st offense will be a 6 game suspension, 2nd will be a life time ban. Unlclear as to whether or not one has to be convucted, arrested or just accussed...... ESPN reporting this is a done deal.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24659720/report-nfl-considering-tougher-penalties-for-domestic-violence-cases

Under the potential new policy, a player would be suspended between four and six weeks for a first-time offense. If a player commits a second offense, he would be suspended for an entire year.

The decision to strengthen the policy stems largely from the Ray Rice case. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was lambasted by fans and media all over the country after suspending Rice only two games following an incident in February where Rice knocked his then-fiancee unconscious.

Now we get to hear how Rice should have been suspended for 6 games...YAY!

Oh the national sports news has been saying that since this began and even more now that Joshy got suspended for a year,. I certainly hope they base it on a conviction or admission of gilt, including the way Rice did with a deal, other wise this could get ugly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

“My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families. I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right,” Goodell wrote, per Albert Breer of NFL Media.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/28/league-isnt-saying-whether-ray-rice-would-be-a-second-time-offender/

League isn’t saying whether Ray Rice would be a second-time offender

With the NFL introducing a new domestic violence policy that includes the possibility of a lifetime ban for a second offense, an obvious question arises regarding Ravens running backRay Rice.

Does Rice’s first offense, which was handled so badly that the NFL had to tear up the entire policy, count as a “first offense” under the new policy, putting him in line for the far more serious penalties that apply to a second offense?

Via Clifton Brown of CSNBaltimore.com, the league has declined to respond to that question.

We are not going to address that,” an NFL spokesman told Brown. “Each case will be addressed individually on its merits.”

The NFL spokesman also declined to address whether Rice’s suspension could be increased from two games to six under the new policy.

The notion that each case will be addressed on its merits represents another way of saying, “We’ll decide what we want to do in each given case.” And that’s a subtle but real difference from the adherence to “precedent” that the NFL cited in initially defending the decision to suspend Rice for only two games.

"The NFL spokesman also declined to address whether Rice’s suspension could be increased from two games to six under the new policy."

So I guess this is a possibility?

Lady-Gaga-shaking-her-head-no-GIF.gif

LOL at the NFL trying to save face

I think it is both, saving face, but also admitting they needed stronger penalties for this. I do wonder what will hapen with Gregg Hardy, who is awaiting trial on his arrest, his case. Since his happened before the change does he get the lesser, or does he get the full? As I understand it, he was expected to get 6 games before the change.....

Is it too little too late though? These NFLers have gotten away with a lot over the years, now the NFL is going to clamp down..Im surprised the NFLPA hasnt chimed in with "this penalty is too harsh" yet

They have, some what. They say they will stick up for the players, blah, blah, blah. There isn't much they can do since they gave his office the power to level any type of punishment when it comes to actions detrimental to the league.

The key here will be what he does with Irsay when he cuts a deal or is convicted. Goody better come down harsh or there will be a huge outcry from the NFLPA.

I think, on this issue, it should be 6 games first offense, a year for the second and then a life time ban, with mandatory theropy inbetween. Similar to how they do the drug testing, 3 chances before major penalties. A life time ban is a major step for what can turn out to be a he said she said, especially when the man is only defending him self, sometimes walking away is not an option.

The key here will be what he does with Irsay when he cuts a deal or is convicted. Goody better come down harsh or there will be a huge outcry from the NFLPA.

I dont think he will be harsh on jimmy, his hands are tied, you dont want to get jimmy in front of a grand jury and have an owner spill his guts with the doings of owners..I guarantee Jerry Jones is keeping a watchful eye on this..If jimmy were to speak, it would be worse then Donald Sterling. jimmy facing NFL punishment, and a divorce, this could get ugly for NFL owners..I bet our own Steve doesnt leave his 6 empty bottles of wine a night for trash pick up anymore..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/29/new-policy-could-prompt-more-players-to-choose-to-stand-trial/

New policy could force more players to choose to stand trial

With the NFL implementing a sweeping new domestic violence/sexual assault policy that also encompasses “assault” and “battery” generally, a player charged with any of those crimes could face a much more complicated decision when the time comes to accept or reject a plea deal.

Under the new policy, that plea agreement opens the door to a six-game suspension on a first offense, with potential adjustment downward or upward based on factors that, at least for the first few players caught in the gears of the new policy, there will be little or no guidance because there will be little or no precedent. If/when a player faces a second offense, copping a plea could mean taking a seat for a minimum of a year.

The end result could be more players rejecting plea agreements and taking their cases to trial, since only complete exoneration will avoid a lengthy suspension. For some players, it could make the suspension moot; they’ll be convicted and go to jail. For others, the cost of securing an acquittal could approach the net wage loss flowing from a suspension.

Ultimately, it’s a potentially unintended consequence of the new policy, forcing players into a much more precarious game of Door No. 1/Door No. 2. It’s also a dynamic that judges generally won’t like, since it could become an impediment to the preference to get as many cases resolved as possible, so that the courts aren’t jammed up with trials.

Very interesting.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/29/former-nflpa-president-surprised-by-domestic-violence-policy/

My initial reaction is, ‘Really?‘ ” Mawae told Jim Corbett of USA Today. “I can’t believe he admitted he got something wrong. With that whole Ray Rice situation, it was a pretty common thought that it was a lenient sentence when guys get suspended six games for far lesser issues. . . . For him to backtrack, my question is what does this do for Ray Rice? Are they going to impose a stronger penalty on him? Or is it ‘Oops, our mistake. But going forward we’re going to be more strict.’

“I think it’s the right move as far as making guys accountable. There’s no reason to physically abuse your spouse, your girlfriend or a woman. That to me is intolerable.”