ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Practice Squad formed

TBird

Here's a rundown on the nine who have been signed:

QB Keith Wenning: The rookie sixth-round pick was expected to be added to the practice squad after the Ravens kept two quarterbacks for the fifth straight year. Wenning improved throughout the summer and he showed potential by the preseason finale. He finished 10 of 17 for 140 yards for a 85.4 passer rating this preseason. Pro Football Focus graded him at No. 57 among quarterbacks, just two spots behind Tyrod Taylor.

LB John Simon: The 2013 fourth-round pick failed to make the cut, even though the Ravens kept 10 linebackers. Simon finished strong in the preseason finale with four quarterback hits. What works against Simon is he struggles making plays in space and he isn't a top special-teams player.

OL Ryan Jensen: The Ravens were so high on the 2013 sixth-round pick last year that they didn't place him on injured reserve after he broke his foot and kept him on the roster the entire year. Jensen, though, took a step back this year and slid behind rookie John Urschel on the depth chart.

CB Tramain Jacobs: The undrafted rookie out of Texas A&M became a favorite of the coaching staff. The Ravens believe Jacobs has great upside as a cover corner. His biggest problem is reducing penalties, which were a problem in the preseason and training camp.

DT Jamie Meder: The undrafted rookie out of Ashland was under the radar for most of the summer. Meder generally played on the third-team defensive line. He finished with four tackles this preseason.

CB Deji Olatoye: The undrafted rookie from North Carolina A&T generated buzz in spring workouts but he was unable to maintain that this summer. His struggles in coverage in the second preseason led to him getting waived in the first round of cuts. Olatoye, a former teammate of Jimmy Smith at Colorado (before he transferred to North Carolina A&T), has intriguing size and length for the position.

DT A.J. Pataiali'i: The undrafted rookie from Utah State was signed to the practice squad over nose tackle Derrick Hopkins, who received the biggest signing bonus of all the Ravens' undrafted rookies. Like Meder, Pataiali'i played most of the time on the third-team defensive line. He had one tackle this preseason.

TE Phillip Supernaw: The first-year player spent most of last season on the Houston Texans' practice squad before getting signed to the active roster in late December. Supernaw was signed by the Ravens in May, only five days after being released by the Texans. He didn't have a catch this preseason. Supernaw did work at fullback for the final preseason game after the Ravens cut Shaun Chapas.

RB Fitzgerald Toussaint: The undrafted rookie out of Michigan flashed his explosiveness in the preseason finale with several big runs. Toussaint ran for 103 yards at New Orleans, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. The Ravens hope he doesn't get signed away like Bobby Rainey did last year. http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/12734/ravens-sign-nine-to-practice-squad

Thanks for the write-ups, man.

How does he do it. Ozzie keeps coming up with these undrafted finds and if they

don't make Ravens somebody will claim them. Look what happened to the greatest

one that got away - Priest Holmes who became one of the greatest RBs in history

for KC. Billick wasn't smart enough to do what Vermeil did and change the blocking

schemes to suit his style of slash running similar to Rice's. Holmes couldn't move

the pile here his last year so Ravens got Jamal Lewis who won a ton of games

and SB 35 for us.

But we would have won SB 36 when Jamal went down had we kept Holmes.

Double damn.

I would think about giving Sam a call. The Ravens are very good at turning LBers out. They were interested in him as a UDFA.

He is a one dimesnional player, why would the Ravens want him? They were interested in him as an undrafted player, with plans to put him on the ps, but after seeing him in pre season, it is clear, he can't even play special teams, too slow, not a good tackler in open space. They have that in Simon, identical players..... I'm glad they kept Hurst and Urban around, two very good, potentially, players.

So putting him on the PS is a poor idea now. Bynes looked pretty poor for a couple of yrs and now he is in the MLB rotation.

Yes since Simon, as I said, is the same player basically, who is already on their practice squad. So why sign another player to the ps, with the same skill set, but a boat load of baggage that comes with him, not his fault, obviously.

Thanks for the write-ups, man.

How does he do it. Ozzie keeps coming up with these undrafted finds and if they

don't make Ravens somebody will claim them. Look what happened to the greatest

one that got away - Priest Holmes who became one of the greatest RBs in history

for KC. Billick wasn't smart enough to do what Vermeil did and change the blocking

schemes to suit his style of slash running similar to Rice's. Holmes couldn't move

the pile here his last year so Ravens got Jamal Lewis who won a ton of games

and SB 35 for us.

But we would have won SB 36 when Jamal went down had we kept Holmes.

Double damn.

They could not keep Holmes, the salary cap would not allow it. They didn't tag him out of respet for him. As I recall, they ran the ball pretty well, the reason they didn't repeat was because of the pouting done by the players over the Dilfer release and a piss poor offensive line/

What's the lowdown on Samster? I don't even remember him in the preseason. Someone thought he was good enough to be on a 53 man roster.

From NFL dot com...

Strengths

Exceptional size-speed combination. Solid pro day showing, with sub-4.5 40-times at 200 pounds, a 35-inch vertical jump and 6.86-second three-cone time. Has safety experience.

Weaknesses Was not a full-time starter. Marginal eyes and anticipation. Does not play to his size in the run game -- catches and stays blocked too long. Selective hitter. Marginal ball skills. Allows too much separation at the break point. Only one career interception. Does not sell out on the blitz. Draft Projection Round 7-Priority free agent Bottom Line A big, press-and-bail corner with a cautious approach to the game and very limited ball production. Height-weight speed prospect.

The dredded P word, very raw....

Yes since Simon, as I said, is the same player basically, who is already on their practice squad. So why sign another player to the ps, with the same skill set, but a boat load of baggage that comes with him, not his fault, obviously.

Because they see potential. They see a guy who in a few yrs might be a solid contributor.

Because they see potential. They see a guy who in a few yrs might be a solid contributor.

He is not worth the spot for the Ravens on the ps. They prefer multitalented players who can play special teams, or have a unique skill set. Neither of which, no matter how much coaching, will Sams have. One can only increase speed so much, he has short arms, is not athletic to being able to cover is out, and again, they have a guy on the ps just like him, with a little more skill, albeit not much more, in tackling in open space.

They prefer guy on the squad that does not play who can be ST's players. Where did you see this desire. I would love to read about it. Sam can reduce weight and by doing that get faster. During that time he can learn bettre coverage skills.

Where did I see it? Come on Papa, you know how they think, they have been talking about this for years. We will have to agree to disagree on this, if they sign him, great, if not, even better as i won't have to dodge news crews on my trek's around here....

They prefer guy on the squad that does not play who can be ST's players. Where did you see this desire. I would love to read about it. Sam can reduce weight and by doing that get faster. During that time he can learn bettre coverage skills.

All nice thoughts but the Ravens do not need help at that position.

“With the Ravens already carrying 10 linebackers, the odds are against them signing Michael Sam. The team is already deep at outside linebacker with Terrell Suggs, Elvis Dumervil, Courtney Upshaw, and Pernell McPhee.”http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-91-Ravens-Still-Have-Unfinished-Business/e890238f-e176-4d8d-b6be-e5032d9c6ad4

They need CB's and O linemen, a TE, maybe safety help.

Shippley's gone...testament top how bad he was.

Edited by vmax

Where did I see it? Come on Papa, you know how they think, they have been talking about this for years. We will have to agree to disagree on this, if they sign him, great, if not, even better as i won't have to dodge news crews on my trek's around here....

Yeah guys at the end of the active roster that is true. Guys on the PS they are looking to develop.

All nice thoughts but the Ravens do not need help at that position.

They need CB's and O linemen, a TE, maybe safety help.

Shippley's gone...testament top how bad he was.

They don't need those positions on the PS. They need them on the active roster.

What's the lowdown on Samster? I don't even remember him in the preseason. Someone thought he was good enough to be on a 53 man roster.

I just remember Vince Newsome pimping him early on in camp. I don't remember him in pre-season games but

didn't concentrate watching with the 4th and 5th stringers on.

Somebody thought he was good because Miami picked him off waivers when Ravens tried to sneak him thru the practice

squad. Now they have to keep him on the 53 man squad. He was undrafted.

Don't forget to add, "but not that there is anything wrong with that".

The Baltimore Ravens added the last member to their 10-member practice squad, signing former New Orleans Saints offensive lineman Marcel Jones.

A 2012 seventh-round pick by New Orleans, Jones was put on injured reserve in 2012 and spent last season on the Saints' practice squad. He is a 6-foot-7, 320-pound lineman who played right tackle at Nebraska.

The rest of the Ravens' practice squad is: quarterback Keith Wenning, linebacker John Simon, guard Ryan Jensen, cornerbacks Tramain Jacobs and Deji Olatoye, defensive tackles Jamie Meder and A.J. Pataiali'i, tight end Phillip Supernaw and running back Fitzgerald Toussaint. http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/12756/ravens-add-final-practice-squad-member