ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I find no fault with his logic

vmax

Joe Platania thinks it's going to be this kind of year....

2234960801_5437f055fc.jpg

Why is Ravens Report picking the Baltimore Ravens to win Super Bowl XLIX?After all, it's not as if this is an annual occurrence. This space is not the place to turn to find a strictly partisan hometown view of the team.

In fact, I have only picked the Ravens to win the Super Bowl twice in their 18 previous seasons, and they did not come away with the Lombardi Trophy on either occasion.

There is a combination of factors playing into this decision:

• First, the fact that the Ravens are playing the fifth-easiest schedule in the league, based on the opponents' 2013 records. Sure, an unprecedented stretch of five division games in the first nine weeks won't make it easy, but games against the AFC South and NFC South are much preferable to those against the two West divisions, which Baltimore will face next year.

• Secondly, head coach John Harbaugh is a creature of habit, and he prizes consistency over anything else. Under Brian Billick, the team was successful, but more prone to emotional mood swings that led not only to three playoff appearances in four years (2000-03), but three out of four years sitting home in January (2004-07).

• Also, the Ravens' offense, if blessed with health and consistency, has the potential to be the best in team history, surpassing even the Vinny Testaverde-Michael Jackson-Derrick Alexander-led squads in 1996-97. Those teams were cursed by a very poor defense, but this year's team is younger, faster and a bit deeper.

Plus, if the bend-but-don't-break defense doesn't break as often and the special teams units return to their usually above-average levels, it won't be a surprise to see the Ravens holding another Vince Lombardi Trophy.

If all that weren't enough, I had a gut feeling back in March -- and the Facebook audience can vouch for this -- that both the Orioles and Ravens would win championships this year, a repeat of the magical 1970 ride on which the Orioles and Colts took their delirious fans.

Here's how I think the 2014 NFL season plays out:

AFC NORTH

1. Baltimore (11-5) -- The schedule and revamped offense are good for three more wins and a deep playoff run.

2. Pittsburgh (9-7) -- The Steelers return to the playoffs, but still aren't totally meshing yet.

3. Cincinnati (8-8) -- Marvin Lewis is a good coach, but the weight of expectations may be too much.

4. Cleveland (5-11) -- A promising young defense can't cancel out a wayward offense. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/08/30/ravens-report-nfl-2014-forecast-ravens-return-to-top

Birds-of-Baltimore.jpeg

Edited by vmax

I'm a born pessimist and several big questions are keeping me from thinking those kinds of expectations

Agreed!

The offensive line is unproven and lacks depth. This affects both the running & passing game.

The linebacking core is young, not strong at the point of attack, prone to freelancing = big plays in the running game.

The secondary is the biggest question mark and not just the play of the corners. The safeties are unproven, young, and both like to break coverage, are easily fooled by the quarterback & route combinations. = big pass plays, lots of points.

Frankly, I will just sit back and enjoy the season, good or bad, just as I did two years ago when they surprised the daylights out of me by winning it all....

He's not really using a lot of logic at all. :cop:

I think there are way too many problems to declare this a magical year and then predict an 11-5 season. Sitting here right now, it has to be hard for anyone to say that this is a Super Bowl-type team.

Oh yea!

Just ask crav! :bleh:

I'm a born pessimist and several big questions are keeping me from thinking those kinds of expectations

I hear you. Unrealistic expectations can kill a season for" many-a-fan

Most NFL analysts have the Ravens around 8-8 and missing the playoffs. There's too much talent on this team and coaching staff to be mediorcre unless they suffer significant injuries at key positions.

If they stay relatively healthy I see them making the playoffs.

I do what tsylvester says; "Frankly, I will just sit back and enjoy the season, good or bad"

Have you guys seen the new lounge Dee got for us this year?

Baltimore-Ravens-Fan.png

Actually I was shocked to read Joe Platania's prediction. It's so out of character for him. I'll take it as a good sign that the Ravens will be very competitive this year and in the Hunt. :gorave:

Agreed!

The offensive line is unproven and lacks depth. This affects both the running & passing game.

The linebacking core is young, not strong at the point of attack, prone to freelancing = big plays in the running game.

The secondary is the biggest question mark and not just the play of the corners. The safeties are unproven, young, and both like to break coverage, are easily fooled by the quarterback & route combinations. = big pass plays, lots of points.

Frankly, I will just sit back and enjoy the season, good or bad, just as I did two years ago when they surprised the daylights out of me by winning it all....

I agree with every line of your post. The Ravens are going to have prove it to me that they're any good.

4-0 exhibition season for the third time in their young existence. The other two, they made the playoffs. I don't know about a superbowl- way too early for that, but am VERY confident that we are back in the playoffs. This is a much improved team.

4-0 exhibition season for the third time in their young existence. The other two, they made the playoffs. I don't know about a superbowl- way too early for that, but am VERY confident that we are back in the playoffs. This is a much improved team.

Exactly, for as shitty as we were last year, we controlled our own destiny the last game of the season. Now ive always been a lets just into the playoff tourney and see what happens, but last season I didnt want in, we didnt deserve a shot.

Two areas where i want improvement, of course the offense, all aspects of the offense, the QB play less turnovers, the RB play, the O-line play..

Secondly, the Defense, VEY misleading stat that the ravens finished at #12 total D for the year, we cant hide that in the 4th qtr the Ravens were actually the worst D in the NFL, as shown by the final bengals game, we were tied going into the 4th qtr.

Secondly, the Defense, VEY misleading stat that the ravens finished at #12 total D for the year, we cant hide that in the 4th qtr the Ravens were actually the worst D in the NFL, as shown by the final bengals game, we were tied going into the 4th qtr.

Crav, part of the problem for the D was they had to carry the O for the 1st half and seemed to run out of gas by the time the 4th came along. They looked good for 3 quarters and then shit the bed. The O seemed to shit the bed right from the start of the game and then just as they got going the D ran out of steam. I'm expecting to see us return to winning the turnover battle and the time of possession battle. That combo will see us win a lot of games this season.

I understand Mad-Man, put our last game was really our season in a nut shell, we were tied going into the 4th, season on the line, and both sides crapped out, the final was what 34-7? Joe throws a pick 6 to add to his career high INT season and the D doesnt keep Dalton in check.

I do highly anticipate seeing an entire different team then I seen in 2013, come this sunday..

Agreed!

I'm predicting 8, 9 or 10 wins.... but who the hell looks at our Linebacking core and doesn't think it's the STRENGTH of the team? We have 4 OLB's who could start on most teams and McPhee and Upshaw have the versatility to help out on the DLine. Mosley and Brown may be young but from all accounts both have been fantastic this offeason. If both are the 'average' starters they seem to be this year, few teams have the luxury of a 3rd ILB who can start.