ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Willis speaks out

cravnravn

In his first public comments since not receiving any carries in last week’s 34-3 shellacking of the Cincinnati Bengals, Ravens running back Willis McGahee said he is not getting frustrated watching others get the ball.

Even though he was active for the game, Le’Ron McClain and Ray Rice split the rushing duties. That duo combined for 127 yards on 36 attempts, and McGahee is eager to join the action, perhaps this Sunday against the Washington Redskins.

“When my number is called, I’ll be ready and be out there,” McGahee said Wednesday. “But if not, Le’Ron and Ray are doing a great job. It’s not like the running game is really struggling. I don’t mind sitting back and watching.”

After fighting through knee, eye, ribs and ankle injuries all season, McGahee affirmed that he was well enough to have played.

“Even though I’ve been plagued with injuries all year long – this is the most injuries I’ve had in a year – it’s kind of rough,” McGahee explained. “Nobody’s really 100 percent on the football field. I can go out and play and do what I have to do, but they’re resting, so I can’t complain.”

The six-year veteran thinks an extra week off could turn out to be a benefit.

more

Take that Preston, trouble maker..

In his first public comments since not receiving any carries in last week’s 34-3 shellacking of the Cincinnati Bengals, Ravens running back Willis McGahee said he is not getting frustrated watching others get the ball.

Even though he was active for the game, Le’Ron McClain and Ray Rice split the rushing duties. That duo combined for 127 yards on 36 attempts, and McGahee is eager to join the action, perhaps this Sunday against the Washington Redskins.

“When my number is called, I’ll be ready and be out there,” McGahee said Wednesday. “But if not, Le’Ron and Ray are doing a great job. It’s not like the running game is really struggling. I don’t mind sitting back and watching.”

After fighting through knee, eye, ribs and ankle injuries all season, McGahee affirmed that he was well enough to have played.

“Even though I’ve been plagued with injuries all year long – this is the most injuries I’ve had in a year – it’s kind of rough,” McGahee explained. “Nobody’s really 100 percent on the football field. I can go out and play and do what I have to do, but they’re resting, so I can’t complain.”

The six-year veteran thinks an extra week off could turn out to be a benefit.

more

Take that Preston, trouble maker..

Exactly. In fact, a guy called in the other night on WBAL's Steve Davis/John Harbaugh's show and inquired about Preston's ill advise Sun article abou the so called "doghouse" players or guys who werent buying in to Harbaugh's system. He mentioned among others Rolle, Willis, Reed, and Todd Heap (if you can believe that).

Harbaugh was dumbfounded by the mere mentioning of the news and apparently doesn't read any of this garbage. Nonetheless, he was very surprised and responded that he felt bad for the aforementioned players since he indicated these guys, in his opinion, were team players, having great seasons, and all trying to achive the same goal of winning.

I personally felt bad for Harbaugh being put on the spot and having to address such idiotic comments. I dont even live in B'more but Preston's reputation is even known here in southeastern Virginia. The guy has just gone way overboard and is out of line. Somebody needs to take this guy out behind the woodshed and..... :angry:

See... while I am slightly happy that McGahee doesn't feel like he is in the doghouse...

That isn't quite the attitude I want from my multi million dollar star running back who's supposed to start...

"Oh... I don't care if I play... just let them go... it doesn't bother me one bit..."

Huh?

I don't want him throwing a shit fit, either.... but I expect a guy to fight for his starting job and for his right/ability/etc to be on that field and a part of this team's winning.

See... while I am slightly happy that McGahee doesn't feel like he is in the doghouse...

That isn't quite the attitude I want from my multi million dollar star running back who's supposed to start...

"Oh... I don't care if I play... just let them go... it doesn't bother me one bit..."

Huh?

I don't want him throwing a shit fit, either.... but I expect a guy to fight for his starting job and for his right/ability/etc to be on that field and a part of this team's winning.

McGahee is tough bird to figure out. Either he is one lazy rascal or a guy on life long vacation without luggage !

:P

Exactly. In fact, a guy called in the other night on WBAL's Steve Davis/John Harbaugh's show and inquired about Preston's ill advise Sun article abou the so called "doghouse" players or guys who werent buying in to Harbaugh's system. He mentioned among others Rolle, Willis, Reed, and Todd Heap (if you can believe that).

Harbaugh was dumbfounded by the mere mentioning of the news and apparently doesn't read any of this garbage. Nonetheless, he was very surprised and responded that he felt bad for the aforementioned players since he indicated these guys, in his opinion, were team players, having great seasons, and all trying to achive the same goal of winning.

I personally felt bad for Harbaugh being put on the spot and having to address such idiotic comments. :angry:

Thanks for that information varaven.

I have no reason to believe Harbaugh is a liar. I take him at his word.

So far it seems Preston and Anita Marks don't.

Marks twists the facts by saying don't be surprised if CMac, Rolle, Willis, Scott, ect are not back next year.

Well Duh!!! ....Age, NFL milage, injury history, salary cap....these are the reasons for the upcomming turnover this off season. Any solid Ravens fan can see the roster change is inevitable.

It's not rocket science.

It's not Harbaugh's doghouse either.

43560112.jpg

Are you trying to get a job with the Sun again or something?

Maybe. But no.

I just don't get the defense of lazy players. We rip into our WRs. We rip into our DBs. We rip into everyone without easing up. And many times, we rip into some of the hardest working and most reliable players... even if they may not be the very best.

And then there's this guy Willis. He had a fine season for us... amidst another otherwise horrible year. But doing big things when everyone else is failing doesn't always equate to greatness. It doesn't make him Barry Sanders.

And this year? Injury problems. Reports of being out of shape consistently. Over and over.

Remember the flack we would give Jamal for taking plays off so frequently? For not being able to run more than 10 yards without needing a breather from Musa or Chester or somebody?

So why does Willis get a free pass? Especially when he says he's fine with sitting on the bench. Fine with other players taking his carries. Fine with everything.

When you put it all in the context of Willis McGahee, it starts to look as much like laziness as it does being a team player.

All I want to hear is "You know, I want to be out there. I want to be a part of this. I want to be a part of what is happening with this team as it wins." Then he can talk about how he understands being benched with his injury and he understands the strategy. But don't act like you could care less.

"It's not like the running game is struggling. I don't mind sitting back and watching." Those aren't words you'd ever hear from the real leaders on this team... not from Ray, not from Ed, not from Terrell, not from Ngata... you don't even hear it from Kelly Gregg... you know he WANTS to be out there. He's not saying "Oh, well, they clearly don't really need me. So, I don't mind sitting around."

So why does Willis get a free pass? Especially when he says he's fine with sitting on the bench. Fine with other players taking his carries. Fine with everything.

Because we are WINNING..If we were 4-8 we be out in full force slamming Willis..But since he is resting, and we havent missed a beat and we are still winning, its a non issue..Its the Baltimore way dc :)

At this point, things are going well, why do we need a TO prima donna issue with someone that starts demanding the ball through the media? He's not demanding the ball, because I believe he's been banged up. He's being a team player, and there's nothing wrong with that. I do like players to be competitive and want to have the ball, but the media is not the place to express that. Willis also is not the brightest light bulb out there, so I'm sure he's not very smooth and effective at expressing his feelings. I'm sure he wants the ball and Willis will get the ball when it's time. If Willis is no longer the runner he used to be, I guess we overpayed for a year of production, fortunately it has not hurt us. Regardless, everything is workin now, so who cares?

As far as Willis' conditioning, can't argue that point, a professional athlete needs to stay in shape year round if they expect to stay successful.

Everything is runnin smoothly, let the season play out. I've got a feelin Willis has truely just been banged up.

What is it with you...your time of the month or something? Take a midol I hear it helps with bloating and irritability.

Why should he? Because he doesn't go along with the rest of the sheep and engage in the hypocrisy?

That's what gets me, indeed... the hypocrisy.

We're winning WITHOUT Willis, and yet everyone is defending him.

We win or lose with other players, and they get eaten alive ... whether they play well or not.

He doesn't need to be a prima donna. He doesn't need to make a big fuss. But if he's injured, let's say "He's injured" and sit him and take him out of pads. If he's healthy, he should want to be on that field.

He's one of the highest paid backs in the league. I want my 6mil worth or we can find someone else.

BA -

As crav so eloquently put it... "The Baltimore Way"

Because we are WINNING..If we were 4-8 we be out in full force slamming Willis..But since he is resting, and we havent missed a beat and we are still winning, its a non issue..Its the Baltimore way dc

If we win, criticism is never allowed.

If we lose, accolades are not allowed.

We're a pretty fickle fan base.

Question: So why does Willis get a free pass?

Answer: Because we are WINNING..If we were 4-8 we be out in full force slamming Willis.

OK, gotcha! Not sure if that's actually hypocracy or just choosing what to be concerned with and what not. I suspect alot of the players are still trying to get a read on Harbaugh and Willis may either be speaking out in a way he thinks the coach would approve or truly buying into the "team" concept that Harbaugh's been preaching all year.

What I think is the real hypocracy is when certain fans jump all over a player for being a selfish prima donna and not team oriented and then do a total flip and jump on a player who is putting the team first, accusing him of being lazy, lacking motivation, etc. Unfortunately, we can't go back and look at the posts made when Mason was complaining about not getting the ball enough two years ago to see where the hypocracy really lies. Certain fans on this board were demanding we get rid of him.