ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Torrey Smith

varaven45

His 'sickness' on and off the field is befuddling but concerning as well. Does he have a serious off field problem that is adversely affecting his on field performance.

I don't want to know his personal business - that's his own - but something isn't right.

I hope he rights the ship soon and gets back on track. He's a good player and character guy and hate to see his performance suffer.

Any insight here ?

Unless hes been sick since week 1 it looks like a head case to me. Dude looks like he's lost his best friend out there. Joes either looking at SmithSR/Daniels or Forsette out there. I'm kind of glad now they couldn't seal the deal in the preseason. Between Pitta/Suggs and Webb they've made a ton of bad decisions. I've met Torrey and seems like a great guy, seems very humble and i hope he gets over whatevers ailing him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/06/torrey-smith-said-hes-sick-about-drops-other-things/

Torrey Smith said he’s “sick” about drops, other things

Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith dropped some passes, including a key fourth-down conversion attempt late in their loss to the Colts.

But after the game, he suggested there were other problems afoot.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun, Smith left without talking to reporters, but was distraught when he posted on Twitter later.

I’m sick right now,” Smith tweeted. “never been in this position before … very trying times for me on and off the field but I will be better from this.”

That drop was his second of the game, and coach John Harbaugh said it was possible he could have made it.

“It was catchable,” Harbaugh said. “It was a tough catch, it was a challenging play to make, very challenging play to make. Those are not plays you see made every play in the NFL.”

Smith has struggled this season, with 11 catches for 176 yards despite being targeted 30 times. That it’s coming in a contract year makes it unfortunate for him, though the Ravens have been OK with the addition of Steve Smith Sr.
Torrey has played through personal tragedy before, and we can only hope whatever situation he alluded to last night is nothing of that nature.

That last ball was perfectly thrown. As bad as they played yesterday of that ball is caught as it should have been Ravens are in scoring position with plenty of time.

Sick and tired of dropped balls an don't care I'd it's Torrey. Put him on the bench if he's not contributing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for link Papa. I know that winning and "caught" balls cures most if not everything but ...judging from that article, it sounds like there's more to it.

I wonder if this is related to fallout from the Rice situation, the owner/team's handling of matter, etc. I understand Torrey was pretty close to Ray.

Plus, he's not at all playing with a purpose or passion like the old Torrey or Smith Sr .

Just a hunch...

I noticed also that he seems to be depressed. He's not the same happy Tory he used to be. This seems to have been going on since the exhibition games. I like this kid. He's a great kid. I really hope that whatever ails him, he will seek help for.

Apparently this is the anniversary of his brothers death. Maybe it took time before it really impacted him.

Didn't remember that. Could have hit him hard yesterday.

He's a great guy with a ton of talent. We need him, badly. He's also got to stop letting the double coverage get into his head.

I'm really pulling for the guy. Hurst too.

That double coverage is why we did so well vs Piss and Cleve. Even though Torrey is in a slump and sleep walking in games, he still requires double coverage. They can't let him alone, same with JJ.

That leaves the middle open. Didn't work yesterday because they blitzed Joe like crazy on the edges and up the middle and of course thru Hurst but Ravens left him alone on the island all day. He was just an undrafted rookie starting his second game.

Dear lord...maybe he just doesn't get the system? I like the guy. One of the few players I follow on social media. I hope he gets it together. I'm done with Jacoby though...cut bait.

It has to be more than a death of a loved one, it has been going on all season, even from the preseason. I think it might be the sytem, and him upset with him self over not understanding it, not being able to make the proper reads. Prior to this year he had two routes to worry about, go deep, or the nine, or a come back. An ocassional crossing route, deep, but that was rare, so he didn't have the number of reads to make, it was just the play call.

I don't know, like you, I like him as well as I know him and hope him the best.