ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Do Players REALLY Know the Rules?

dc.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?se...mp;lid=tab1pos1

His little experiment in light of Donovan's mistakes in recent weeks...

He asks Brandon Ayanbedejo, Jarrett Johnson and Ray Rice some of the questions...

Our guys didn't do tooooo well.

The only one I did not know ... If the third-string QB is put in the game before the 4th quarter, when can the 1st string QB re-enter the game?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?se...mp;lid=tab1pos1

His little experiment in light of Donovan's mistakes in recent weeks...

He asks Brandon Ayanbedejo, Jarrett Johnson and Ray Rice some of the questions...

Our guys didn't do tooooo well.

The only one I did not know ... If the third-string QB is put in the game before the 4th quarter, when can the 1st string QB re-enter the game?

I really don't blame Donovan for not knowing the rules. Although I do believe he scapegoated the situation with his ignorance (and then was stupid to publicly comment on it!) I do think players shouldn't bear the burden of knowing every nuance of the game. HOWEVER, the coaches are. I think McNabb shouldn't have gotten flack, Andy Reid should have. Judging by the multiple flags on non challengable calls that he made vs. the Ravens, the guy has no clue what is going on.

Well, I don't blame Reid so much ... in the Ravens game he threw flags because you have to, you have to ask. If they say no, fine. If not, then what do you lose? At least he has some ground to complain about review not working right and it can be fixed later. The way Reid was tossing the red flag, it looked like he knew what was going on, but wanted to get is two cents in.

Meanwhile, I do blame McNabb for not knowing the rules. That's insane. That's not every nuance, that's a major rule. Ties happen in this league. And they have happened with some regularity.

Now, if we were talking about him losing on one of those fair-catch drop-kick non-timed plays... sure, I could understand him saying "Man, I didn't know that happened." But to not know the game is going to end?

Guest BallTMore
If the third-string QB is put in the game before the 4th quarter, when can the 1st string QB re-enter the game?

I know the answer! I don't remember what game I was watching, but I recall the starting QB getting hurt, then the backup came in and got shook up. I remember the announcers saying if the third string QB comes in, the starter can't return, even if he's healthy.

I think I know all the other rules in the article as well. Yay me!

Yeah. Apparently the 3rd string QB is officially the "emergency" QB and is not allowed to enter before the 4th quarter. If he does enter before the 4th quarter, neither the starter nor the back-up can re-enter the game at ANY position.

Interesting. No one really goes to their 3rd QB anyway... but I guess it stops you from trying to make the other team gameplan against three QBs.

Yeah. Apparently the 3rd string QB is officially the "emergency" QB and is not allowed to enter before the 4th quarter. If he does enter before the 4th quarter, neither the starter nor the back-up can re-enter the game at ANY position.

Interesting. No one really goes to their 3rd QB anyway... but I guess it stops you from trying to make the other team gameplan against three QBs.

That's why when we only carried two QBs (Flacco and Smith, etc), Clayton or someone is declared the emergency QB. That's not just a term.

The only one that'd fool me is that you could do a fair catch kick after time expires on a fair catch. I think I'd have said that the game is over, too.

DC's spot on with the assessment of McNabb. There is legitimate reason for all the hate, because it's a fairly common rule, and a tie-in to one of the most controversial differences between professional and college football; that is, the procedures of overtime.

Anyone who's even picked up a game of Madden is bound to know, at the least, the overtime tie rule.