ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens/Bengals

vmax

i can't say that I'm feeling real confident about Sundays game. The Ravens have lost 4 of their last 5 games at Paul Brown stadium and the Bengals can see their season heading down the toilet if they don't win.

It's a huge game for the playoff hopes for both teams.

Who stands up to the pressure?

I see a nailbiter with the Ravens winning.

Here's 2 predictions...

Baltimore Ravens (+2) vs. Cincinnati Bengals

The Cincinnati Bengals are a wounded animal right now, and the Ravens are the last team in the league that you want smelling blood in the water. After reloading the defensive side of the ball the last three drafts, Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh are starting to see it pay dividends on the field. Courtney Upshaw, Matt Elam and C.J. Mosley have all played vital roles in helping the 2014 Ravens defense become the stingiest unit in the league, allowing a league-best 14.9 points per game. With A.J. Green questionable, you can expect the Ravens defense to commit to shutting down Giovani Bernard, Jeremy Hill and company as they force Andy Dalton to beat them with a depleted receiving corps. Baltimore can improve its division record to 3-1 and take control of the AFC North while improving their all-time record against Cincy to 21-17. Take the points in what promises to be another AFC North war.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/broncos-chargers-peyton-manning-philip-rivers-bengals-ravens-colts-handicapping-week-8-102214

Howdy!

rc-ravens-bengals-038.jpg

BALTIMORE 27, CINCINNATI 10: The Week One game between these teams seemed to resemble 2013, with the Ravens missing out on big plays by small margins and the Bengals capitalizing. The worm has certainly turned for both sides since then, and the Ravens definitely look like the better team now. Plus, Baltimore's defensive resurgence has translated into very few points being scored on it.

http://www.pressboxonline.com/2014/10/22/joey-ps-week-eight-nfl-picks-late-game-losses-drag-on-record

The Ravens need the normal key ingredients to win on the road:

Don't turn the ball over.

No stupid penalties. In fact, keep them to a minimum.

Run The Ball! Gain 100 yards and Ravens win. Throw 35 times and lose.

Stop the run.

Win time of possession.

Score 7's...not 3's.

Win in the Trenches.

Tackle. Play solid fundamental football. Throw-catch, block and tackle. It's a simple game.

Last two weeks we've outscored our opponents 78 to 24. Regardless of who the teams were one was on the road and one was home, Ravens are clicking on both sides of the ball, the only people that can beat them is themselves,

I don't feel this game to be a nail biter at all

31 to 3 Ravens

Then on to Stealers week

The Bengals know the importance of this game and they are focused....

A loss, and the Bengals' season could enter into a potentially irrevocable tailspin. A win, and suddenly they are right back atop the AFC North and in the conversation about the top teams in the league once again.

"Throughout the year I always say it's about the longevity of the season, not just one game," Whitworth said. "But this is an important one because it's a chance for us to claim back our position in the division and not only that, but to go 2-0 against them would be a great way to continue the rest of the season. It's a great opportunity."

While Whitworth is encouraging his teammates to realize the gravity of the moment before them, cornerback Adam Jones is encouraging them to be confident enough to expect the game to go favorably.

"When we go and win this game," Jones said, "we'll be back on the top of the division."

That's the kind of confidence the Bengals need right now.

Fresh off a 27-0 loss at Indianapolis, this has been a week filled with frustration and defined by fury.

"Guys are mad, they're not real happy," Whitworth said. "But at the same time they're excited for this opportunity and the opportunity to show the team we are.

"At some point you have to stand up and put a stop to it. This is an important week for us to get back on a positive track and see if we can put some wins together."

http://espn.go.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/12552/bengals-ravens-nfl-significant-important-game

I see a dogfight.

3. Bengals falling fast: The Cincinnati Bengals started off strong, going to Baltimore and beating the Ravens in the opener 23-16. That win sparked a 3-0 start and had the Bengals feeling as though they were in the running for the top seed in the AFC. On Sunday, the Bengals conclude their series with the Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium. A loss would drop them to 3-3-1 and put them 2½ games behind the Ravens, essentially handing the division to Baltimore.

Over the past three games, the Bengals' defense is surrendering 35.7 points and allowing opponents to convert 41.3 percent of their third downs. Gone is the pass rush, which has averaged only a sack a game during that stretch, and the defense has forced only a turnover a game. Making matters worse is that Baltimore's Joe Flacco is getting more comfortable in Gary Kubiak's offense and starting to connect on his deep throws. This is a must-win game for the Bengals. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/1standgoal-14week8/little-clarity-surprising-nfc-john-clayton-first-goal

Get revenge and bury them.

Ever go after a wounded animal that was backed into a corner? The Bengals had 15 players on the injury report yesterday, only one player, Rey Mauluga is listed as out for the game. The others either left practice early or only had a full practice once the past two days.

Ravens don't play that well, consistantly, on the road, the Bengals are desperate....

Barring any more injury news from today's practice, I'll take the Bengals and spot the Ravens 9 points for $400 Merv.....

Yep, I've witnessed this horror show a million times - where the healthy can't miss hot team walks into nearly deads lion's nest, only to get smacked up side tje head.

I say the Bengals miraculously and suddenly wake up and lay the wood on us, saving Marvins job and putting them back in the AFCN race.

Sees this one too many times !

Does anybody here actually beleive that the Bengals are the only desperate team playing in this game?

I hope not. Ravens will pound the ball down their throats. And when Cincy has had enough, we will exploit their secondary. Our defense will make the Bengals think they are playing the Colts again. It's not going to be pretty. Harbaugh is going to put a boot on their throats for 60 straight minutes.

30-13 Ravens.

Stop all the girly fussin' boys.

Ever go after a wounded animal that was backed into a corner? The Bengals had 15 players on the injury report yesterday, only one player, Rey Mauluga is listed as out for the game. The others either left practice early or only had a full practice once the past two days.

Ravens don't play that well, consistantly, on the road, the Bengals are desperate....

Barring any more injury news from today's practice, I'll take the Bengals and spot the Ravens 9 points for $400 Merv.....

True on all points but that injury report is for the bookies and doesn't tell the story. Green is listed as questionable and according to this article is still a week away and even if he does play with turf toe which is very painful and you can't push off on it he wont be flying down the side line like in week 1 but like you said about a wounded animal in a corner. You're spot on about road games which is the point I made in another forum.

All that said, check out all these probables with neck injuries, back, knees and what not. A wounded animal for sure but I still like our chances with the offense so hot and the defense dominating. We have our probables in key positions too like MOnroe, KO and Webbie and our 2 TEs are definitely OUT with a rookie starting and a 2d year guy, KJ, filling in.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/81654/a-j-green-listed-as-doubtful-for-sundays-game

:gorave:

Baltimore Ravens receivers Steve Smith, Sr. and Torrey Smith vs. Cincinnati Bengals cornerbacks Leon Hall, Terence Newman and Adam Jones

The skinny: The Ravens are emerging one of the AFC's elite, most balanced teams. The Bengals are fighting to stay relevant after a 3-0 start.

Why it matters: The 5-2 Ravens and 3-2-1 Bengals are battling for first place in the AFC North. A Ravens' win gives them a 2 ½-game lead over the Bengals in the division. The banged-up Bengals haven't been the same since big play receiver A.J. Green missed the last two games with a toe injury. The Colts hammered the Bengals 27-0 last Sunday.

Who has the edge: The Smiths. Smith Sr.'s fiery presence ignited the Ravens from the start with four, 100-yard receiving performances in the first five games. And now Torrey Smith has come alive with three touchdowns over the last two games. Quarterback Joe Flacco, who has thrown for 14 touchdowns with five interceptions should be able to pick his matchup poison. Age is catching up to the Bengals cornerbacks, who are 29 or older. Their defense has allowed an average of 360 passing yards and 35.6 points the past three games.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/seven-for-sunday-cardinals-d-holds-key-against-eagles/ar-BBb3NPp?ocid=iehp

:gorave:

I really want to take the Ravens, but echoing others in this thread, how many times have we seen a hot Ravens team lose to a wounded Bengals team who miraculously plays the game of their lives? I've seen this story many times, the Bengals will bring a lot of pressure and play a cover 2 that somehow we can't do anything against, and the Bengals win in a close ugly game with lots of turnovers.