ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

GO U.S.A!

OutsideRzAcE

Great win over that star studded Canadian team today! That was a lot of fun to watch.

It was. I'm far from a hockey fan, but when you take out all that bu**s**t of the throwing down of the gloves that it transforms from a game to pro wrestling on ice, it's almost watchable!

It was a fun game, the extra day off will come in handy with so many games in a short period of time. The look and feel of this game was similar to a NHL playoff game. In years past with the bigger ice surface (this year they use a NHL sized rink) I dont think you could say that. That led to some people watching teams skate beautifully up and down the ice at the Olympics then turning on an NHL game and seeing a more crowded and slower game and perhaps being disappointed. The flip side is there was far less hitting in the Olympic games on the bigger ice.

My one complaint is I think the network/commentators are exaggerating the degree of upset this game.

I think the game symbolizes moving from the Kiddie table to the Adult table in hockey. From what I understand, this is a young team with a lot of upside. We don't have a superstar like Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin, but this is a statement game that told the Canadians and Russians that we can contend without one.

I think the game symbolizes moving from the Kiddie table to the Adult table in hockey. From what I understand, this is a young team with a lot of upside. We don't have a superstar like Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin, but this is a statement game that told the Canadians and Russians that we can contend without one.

It certainly is a young team with, when the team was chosen at least, seemed to have some odd choices on it. So far its working out and hopefully it continues. We were fortunate with some pretty poor defense at times. Its probably because a number of defensemen chosen were hurt and had to be replaced in the weeks before.

The US did win Silver in 2002 so they have been recently competitive.

The funny part of the seedings is that we cannot play Canada again until the gold medal game. Also if Canada beats Germany on Tuesday they will play Russia on Wednesday, which many thought was going to be the gold medal game. This means one of the two favorites will go home with no medal at all.

Its great though, the game winner was scored by a dude that plays for Vancover :)

Kesler got the empty net which sealed the deal. I am sure his 'home' crowd loved seeing that and cheered for him. :)

The US's best young player is probably Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks. He is only 21-years old and was the first overall pick in 2007 (FWI, it is pretty rare for an American to be the number one pick in the NHL draft). Kane is putting up very solid numbers on a first place team. He is definitely the golden child of US hockey. He is not a superstar like Ovechkin, Crosby, or Malkin, but he is quickly approaching that next tier below. As superstars, I think it might be about time to put Nik Backstrom in that argument with Crosby, Malkin, and Ovechkin, he has been having awesome year and is only 22-years old.

Like Spen stated, we lucked out. I believe, we cannot play the powerhouses Sweden, Russia, or Canada until the Gold medal game. Sure, Czek Rep. and Finland will be tough games, but a lot more winnable than Sweden, Russia, or Canada.

Like Spen stated, we lucked out. I believe, we cannot play the powerhouses Sweden, Russia, or Canada until the Gold medal game. Sure, Czek Rep. and Finland will be tough games, but a lot more winnable than Sweden, Russia, or Canada.

Im worried about Switzerland! Their goalie Hiller (an Anaheim Duck) is playing great. I hope they are tired from todays OT game. Either way I think the US has to play better than they did Sunday though one should think the US should beat them.

No upsets today (though Norway is tied with Slovakia as I type this which could be big) but some great games. Latvia really showed a lot of heart tying up the heavily favored Czechs late in the game to take it to OT where they lost. Czechs look beatable al the sudden. Swiss beat Belarus in OT and Canada destroyed Germany.

LOL the geniuses at NBC finally have a little excitement in their hockey coverage (and good ratings for the game Sunday) so they decide to tape delay todays game on the west coast. Tape delaying might have worked 15-20 years ago, but there are so many places to follow along now (or watch online) it should be an outdated practice now. Of course this means NBC will be doing for 20 more years.

Awesome win! Once again, a great effort in net by Miller. The defensive effort was exception by our boys, I think I heard 25+ blocked shots!? Guys were giving up their bodies out there. Rafalski, Suter, Orpik, and the young guys Jack and Erik Johnson all played solid defense. The powerplay effort needs some work, but I was glad to see the opponent's scoring opportunities decrease.

I too am really happy with the effort they had today. They really gave up their bodies to block shots. The offense wasnt bad, Hiller was still on fire. Plus we were just a .10 of a second too late one time and hit the post the two other times.

Congrats to Slovakia, they upset Sweden. I think Canada will kill them. This is the second time recently that Sweden was upset allowing Canada a much easier path to the gold medal game. In 2002 Sweden lost to Belarus, who at the time were not as good as they are now, when goalie Tommy Salo let one in off his head late in the game.

(they were using international rules time-keeping so the clock was counting up not down, so it was a big mistake)

I am happy for Slovakian goalie Jaroslav Halak, he is the goalie for my favorite team.

So its US vs Finland and Slovakia vs Canada on Friday.

A TAD OT, did anyone see the classic choke from Team Canada womans Curling team last night? It was greater than Bill Buckners 1986 miscue.

Up 6-4 in the bottom on the 9th, the captain throws the rock and leaves the swiss wide open for a 2 pointer which the quickly make, we going Extra Innings the Swiss have potentially 2 points, but the Canadians have the perfect setup with the last rock to knock those 2 points out and leave theirs in the house for 1 point and the Gold Medal..What does the same woman do? hits the Swiss rock head on instead of on the side and it takes the Swiss rock as well as the Canadian rock out of play, leaving 1 swiss rock in the house for the Gold medal..

GO U.S.A.!!!!! The game tomorrow against Canada is going to be difficult, even more difficult than our last matchup against the Canadians. The shifted around their lines and have a new guy in net. Nevertheless, our guys are playing solid defense and we are playing mistake free hockey, we will get opportunities. The power play will be key for us. I cannot wait!

Guest BallTMore

I'm freakin' out man! That last minute goal almost made me jump through the roof!

Go USA! Let's do it!

Regardless of what happens, this is one hell of a way to end an Olympics!