ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

My take on the season

varaven45

As a long time, unbiased and infrequent poster, my thoughts about this seasons squad.

1. The 2014 team, compared to the rest of the league, is an average bunch and they'll end up with 7 or 8 wins.

They feast on the weak sisters - Tampa, Atlanta, Carolina. Grind, occasionally win, but mostly lose to above average teams.

2. This team, unlike years past, lacks substance (the it factor), leadership, identity and chemistry. I don't see anyone- Flacco, Mosely, Jimmy Smith leading the team.

3. Flacco has no viable "go to" stud like a Gronk, Antonio Brown, Dez Bryant. Ozzie has never been successful in drafting one; they need to or acquire one via FA.

4. Defensively, the front seven is stout, impressive. The secondary, with Jimmy Smith in the lineup, is good but without is an embarrassment. I cannot imagine a scenario where this team doesn't overhaul the secondary. The secondary has been an embarrassment for so long. I am surprised the Biscuit and Ozzie haven't addressed this glaring problem.

5. Its been very difficult and frustrating to watch this team grind, scratch and claw the past two seasons. But with today's NFL; up one week, down the next, every team has a shot and can quickly change their fortunes ( NE and Pittsburgh were buried 2-3 weeks ago).

I believe the ownership and fan base demands success and positive changes are in the offing.

I am looking at things a bit differently. I think at least 9 wins will happen. The schedule is so weak. The AFCN got a very favorable draw in out of div play.

I am thinking that the SB run was an outlier. For a 4 game run they were super hot. But before that they were mediocre. Since the SB they have been mediocre. There is an organizational issue that needs to be dealt with.

They also need a new TE threat.

Yep -they've needed one since Sharpe and Heap. Pitta was very good but we've needed and still need a big, strong, fast, athletic, game changing TE.

These guys don't grow on trees but the FO needs to make a commitment to find one, via draft or FA. .

Look how Gronk's presence has affected Brady performance. Its like night and day.

We need both a young Boldin type as SS is truly a Sr by WR standards. We get 1 more quality yr (at best) from Sr.

I am not dure about that. SS could be the WR in the best shape in the league. He is a workout warrior. He hasn't slowed down. Ray I saw slowing down for yrs. I saw him getting to a RB late or not being able to keep up with w receiver. I don't see why SS can't be a very large contributer for at least 2 more yrs after this season.

The Ravens need a #1 type WR. Something more than a possession guy. The Ravens have had many WR's who can get a catch and move the chains. They have not had the dynamic guy to blow the top off the D. I was thinking Torrey was that guy but I really doubt he gets to be that guy.

If the Ravens still had Boldin combined with Steve Smith and Torrey Smith, the offense would be much more formidable.

Bouldin and SS are the same guy in different bodies. They both play the dame game on the field. The Ravens did that all possession WR trick yrs ago and it failed. I think Torrey is having mental issues with this offense. to be in the WCO the WR needs to be as in tuned to what the D is doing as the QB. At the line he has to read where the DB's are lined up and change his route. The QB and WR have to see the same thing or the quarterback will throw the ball to a spot where he expects his guy to be and isn't there.

If the Ravens still had Boldin combined with Steve Smith and Torrey Smith, the offense would be much more formidable.

Don't think so. No matter the receiving corps, Flacco would still hold on to the ball too long, take sacks and not be able to throw receivers open. I think everyone is overlooking the obvious. Hint: There is a good reason why the HC still won't allow Flacco to change plays at the line of scrimmage. None of the offensive problems have to do with receiving corps. Think Kyle Boller era.

Agreed to a point. Torrey was productive before. Marlon was last yr. They didn't stop being good at catching balls all of the sudden. They may not get the offense and there for aren't getting as many balls there way. Also when they do come there way they are over thinking trying to figure out if they are doing the right thing making them drop balls. SS has been successful. Pitta was playing well before his hip. Daniels seems fine.

Don't think so. No matter the receiving corps, Flacco would still hold on to the ball too long, take sacks and not be able to throw receivers open. I think everyone is overlooking the obvious. Hint: There is a good reason why the HC still won't allow Flacco to change plays at the line of scrimmage. None of the offensive problems have to do with receiving corps. Think Kyle Boller era.

Hey, it's our old friend Troy Smith! How you been buddy?!? Sorry to hear about your release from the Alouettes, but just because you have all this free time and the Ravens are in a bit of a rut, I just don't think we can give you a chance to come out and play. Too much liability in you getting a sore throat and missing a game.

Take care buddy!

Hey, it's our old friend Troy Smith! How you been buddy?!? Sorry to hear about your release from the Alouettes, but just because you have all this free time and the Ravens are in a bit of a rut, I just don't think we can give you a chance to come out and play. Too much liability in you getting a sore throat and missing a game.

Take care buddy!

C'mon GooberRaven, when Anquan Boldin was here, there was a cry of lack of separation as the reason for his low production. Now that Boldin is in S.F. and playing with a QB with a supposed far lesser arm than Joe Flacco, his stats are piling up. What does that tell you, Goober? It tells you that maybe the problem is not with the receiving corps but rather the QB.

And you do? Beating your anti Flacco drum? When a QB cannot get the time of day to throw and he needs to run, that reaks of O-line...we're better than last year, but nowhere near what that super bowl run was. You act like we just replace Flacco, BAM, problem solved. YOUR schtick gets old. Where were you when we were winning?

The offense is still hard to get a read on. The O-Line looks good one week and then sucks the next. Joe holds the ball too long but then he has no receivers open or can't trust them to be in the right spot if he attempts to throw them open. Whether that is a scheme thing or the receivers suck is up for debate.

The thing that worries me the most though is our weak ass secondary. FFS one of our safeties was getting pushed around by a kicker and punter and crying to the refs about it at the end of the Steelers game. That's all you need to know about the "character" of our secondary. Outside of Jimmy and Webb I don't see anyone else that plays like a Raven at least not yet. I still hold out hope for Elam and maybe Brooks gets it going (he is only a rookie) but I don't see any leadership back there and that is a huge problem.

Part of me was proud that at least the D had a bit of fight about them and I thought some of the penalties against the Steelers where a bit egregious on behalf of the refs but the other part of me thinks Harbaugh needs to get a hold of that shit. He should have been getting the guys to calm down. I think he is gone at the end of the season. Too many whispers about him flirting with the Michigan Wolverines last offseason and then the stuff with Ray Rice. He didn't appear to tow the party line and I'm sure he wasn't too happy about being thrown to the media wolves all by himself. I could see a "mutual" parting of the ways this offseason and I'm sure Brady Hoke is getting the chop so that job will be available. He can go reunite with his boy Mattison and his "prevent nothing" D.

Onto Ozzie and I think he made a huge mistake not taking a CB reasonably early in last year's draft. There is a lot of work to be done this offseason and I'm not sure that Ozzie is the man to do it. Again, I don't think he towed the party line over the Ray Rice issue and although he still has more hits than misses, the failure to ever draft a #1 WR has been a major issue holding back this offense. Having to trade or pick up vets to fill the role has worked but never been a long term solution (Boldin and Smith Snr). Mason filled the role but was a possession guy that was never a true #1.

And you do? Beating your anti Flacco drum? When a QB cannot get the time of day to throw and he needs to run, that reaks of O-line...we're better than last year, but nowhere near what that super bowl run was. You act like we just replace Flacco, BAM, problem solved. YOUR schtick gets old. Where were you when we were winning?

Explain Anquan Boldin. The floor is yours.