ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

How bout dat Hogan!

Robjr83

Omalley and Glenndenning ruined the chances of their Lt. Governors winning. Not that either were great candidates.

First time since I could vote that I have not. I'm pretty much completely convinced that it doesn't matter wwhatsoever. They are all garbage and nothing ever gets done.

Last election the only reason I voted was because of the gay marriage question.

Omalley and Glenndenning ruined the chances of their Lt. Governors winning. Not that either were great candidates.

First time since I could vote that I have not. I'm pretty much completely convinced that it doesn't matter wwhatsoever. They are all garbage and nothing ever gets done.

Last election the only reason I voted was because of the gay marriage question.

Ding Ding Ding on all accounts.

Though, as much as the old gov's ruined the odds of their LtGovs... Kennedy Townsend and Brown were just awful. Brown especially simply tried to duck and cover and pray for turnout of blues.

I really am not happy with Hogan either. As much as I like some of what he offers, much of his rhetoric has been silly and irresponsible (not Ted Cruz irresponsible, but you can't promise to end retirement taxes and not know how much it might cost the state).

If the Dems had put up Gansler or Mizeur, there's no way Hogan wins this election. This election wasn't Maryland moving right. It was a bit of Maryland admitting that it's more centrist than some thing, but also a recognition that Brown was simply pathetic.

I actually do think Hogan can be successful - though the legislature will make it hard. But I am not excited about it or him; I am not excited about many of his ideas and I am not excited about the prospect of listening to red-blue crap on repeat.

As probably the board's only Republican, here's my take on the governor's race:

If Mizeur or Gansler were the nominee instead of Brown, they win no doubt. And probably by a good margin. Gansler and Hogan really weren't that different outside of Gansler making a few educational promises that would have been difficult to deliver on. Mizuer was and is geniune, and would have run a positive campaign that would have connected with the individual voter. I know Brown has been working the past four plus years to be governor, but the Maryland Democratic party took an unneccessary risk having their nominee associated with O'Malley. Mizuer or Gansler would have been seen as fresh candidates by the public. If Brown was truly a team player, he would have stepped aside. However, he's been so preoccupied the past four years plus smoozing the right people and groups for endorsements, he lost track of connecting with the individual voter. Voters absolutely picked up on this, and protested as a result. Congressman Dutch pretty much said as much:

@JamesEBriggs: Rep. @Call_Me_Dutch is at Anthony Brown's HQ, where he just jabbed Brown on @FOXBaltimore for not "defining himself."

Furthermore, Mizuer actually approached Brown about running a positive campaign that focused on the needs of Marylanders and offered her full support. He told her he wasn't interested:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-mizeur-race-20141028-story.html

Hogan on the other hand, like Erlich in 2002, ran into the perfect storm. Maryland had already taken care of the social issues: gay marriage, gun safety, marijuana decriminalization, etc. All Hogan had to do was talk about fiscal issues. Brown didn't seem to realize this, and attacked him issues that essentially were irrelevant to the race.

Honestly, if you're a Democrat, Brown losing is a good thing IMO. Instead of being stuck with a poor candidate in Brown for eight years, you'll get a great candidate in Mizuer in four years.

• Upvote 1

Cleetz, I'm neither R nor D... but you're right, I think Brown would have been as awful as anything. I can probably handle four years of Hogan. Maybe he will do well and I can handle eight. All I want are results that create positive change.

Meanwhile... unrelated entirely, but here's America at it's finest: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

90 Year Old Man in Florida arrested for... feeding homeless people.

Worst of all, the Mayor's quotes in the stories about how "feeding them" enables their "cycle of homelessness."

Honestly, if you're a Democrat, Brown losing is a good thing IMO. Instead of being stuck with a poor candidate in Brown for eight years, you'll get a great candidate in Mizuer in four years.

I don't align myself with either party but do feel closet to the dems especially on environmental and social issues.

I don't see having a Republican as governor as a bad thing at all. If the state is more up for grabs and not by default for the democrats that should lead to better candidates and elected officials.

I don't align myself with either party but do feel closet to the dems especially on environmental and social issues.

I don't see having a Republican as governor as a bad thing at all. If the state is more up for grabs and not by default for the democrats that should lead to better candidates and elected officials.

Agreed. When it becomes who is next in line you see what happens with KKT and Brown.

I think Hogan will be a breath of fresh air, mostly because politics aren't exactly his thing. That's the best compliment he's gotten, and I'm excited for it. I also appreciate that he has little interest in social issues, since they don't seem to be where the state is struggling, and instead has a weirdly radical set of fiscal ideas.

I think he's the best chance the GOP had of keeping someone in office for more than one term.

Rick Scott is who I am talking about. Who are you talking about?

I was referring to charlie crist, I thought he had won it. I just can't believe that 47% of the vote went for crist, this guy has lost running for all 3 party's....he was the guy that watched almost a million jobs leave the state,the housing market get destroyed and just loses this race by a percentage point..crist winning would be like Jeffrey Levitt running for mayor of Baltimore.

And yet there are people who think Rock Scott is any better.

Well housing is slightly recovering, jobs are coming back. We got here in the worst of times, heck I only wanted a part time job and they made it full time,the Mrs works part time and my youngest son, he wants/needs full time but only has been able to get part time.

My only question is, with so many abandoned homes still around, why are they even allowing new homes to be built? They need to take care of the eye sores in these neighborhoods before new construction can be built. We are very fortunate that the bank takes care of the property next door,

Well housing is slightly recovering, jobs are coming back. We got here in the worst of times, heck I only wanted a part time job and they made it full time,the Mrs works part time and my youngest son, he wants/needs full time but only has been able to get part time.

My only question is, with so many abandoned homes still around, why are they even allowing new homes to be built? They need to take care of the eye sores in these neighborhoods before new construction can be built. We are very fortunate that the bank takes care of the property next door,

Do you think Crist hurt the economy or was he just in bad enough shape to be gov when the recession hit? And is Scout responsible for any rebound or is he just lucky enough to have been gov for the last four of recovery?

And what do you mean "allow" houses to be built? What business is it of the Florida government what someone does with their land?