ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

How do you see it playing out?

vmax

Eisenberg breaks the remaining schedule down...

Yes, there's a ton of competition, especially for the AFC's wild-card berths. It's too early to pinpoint exactly what needs to happen, but basically, the Ravens need to start accumulating wins, period. I'm thinking they'll need at least 10 to reach the playoffs. Can they get there? Let's break down their seven remaining games and consider their chances:

Must win (2)

Tennessee, Nov. 9 – If you're going to have a playoff-caliber season, you can't lose at home to the 2-6 Titans. Home games against losing teams are gifts from the schedule gods. This one is especially promising because the Titans are playing a rookie quarterback and the Ravens tend to treat those like red meat, especially at home.

Jacksonville, Dec. 14 – The Jaguars have just one win. They're also going with a rookie under center.

Should win (1)

San Diego, Nov. 30 – This one looked tougher a few weeks ago, but the schizophrenic Chargers have lost three straight and 538.com has dropped their playoff chances from 76 percent to 12 percent. Philip Rivers fits the profile of quarterbacks who give the Ravens fits, and I'm sure he'll enjoy facing a secondary without Smith. But the Ravens defense is likelier to rise to the occasion at home.

Jump ball (3)

at Miami, Dec. 7 – The Dolphins obliterated San Diego last Sunday. They're 5-3 with a defense ranked No. 3 in the NFL. Meanwhile, the Ravens are 4-9 in regular-season road games since winning the Super Bowl, so their degree-of-difficulty is high anytime they're away. They stole a win in Miami a year ago, but it won't be easy to repeat.

at Houston, Dec. 21 – The Texans probably aren't playoff-bound, but they're having a nice bounce-back season and will be up for Gary Kubiak's return.

Cleveland, Dec. 28 – For years, the Ravens' home game against the Browns was the surest win on their schedule. No longer. The Browns announced themselves as legitimate with their 21-point win over the Steelers in September, and even more pointedly, with their 21-point win in Cincinnati Thursday night.

Tough to win (1)

at New Orleans, Nov. 24 – The Saints are a .500 team, but playing them in the Superdome is a brutal challenge. They're 3-0 at home in 2014 and have won 11 straight in the dome since Head Coach Sean Payton came off his "Bountygate" suspension.

OK, so let's do some math. The Ravens have five wins now. They can get to eight if they sweep the "must win" and "should win" games, all at M&T Bank Stadium. That leaves the four "jump ball" and "tough to win" games. The Ravens have to split those four to get to 10 wins. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Breakdown-Of-Ravens-Remaining-Schedule/50ac49e7-2f51-472f-8ca3-0d64cfb5859a

I'm an optimistic 9-7.

I have no confidence in Joe and the offense to make up for our losses in the secondary, this is when you're 120 million dollar QB is suppose to earn his money, instead we will just go quietly and fade into Bolivia lol (mike tyson reference). i kind of hope we just tank it from this point forward, no sense in winning the TENN. game and maybe another one or two just to finish in the middle of the pack as far as drafting. might as well lose them all and get the best draft position possible. I really wish Joe was worth the money we are paying him, because if he was then our season wouldn't be lost.

Yep. Another rite of passage awaits Joe . It'll be telling to see whether and how he can elevate the players around him in these times of adversity.

All up to the Offense indeed. I'm a realist but you guys who don't think that 9-7 is a lock are crazy. This team will without a doubt reach 9 and could still get 11. Our schedule (as Eisenberg notes) is not that tough.

I see Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Houston as the only wins and that adds up to a mediocre 8-8 record.

Because of the cap and draft it's hard to stay on top for long. There's only a few teams as good as New England.

I see us in a 'down' mode while we rebuild over the next 2-3 years.

As for Joe, I'd be surprised if he stays here past the 3rd year of his contract which is 2015.

I see Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Houston as the only wins and that adds up to a mediocre 8-8 record.

Because of the cap and draft it's hard to stay on top for long. There's only a few teams as good as New England.

I see us in a 'down' mode while we rebuild over the next 2-3 years.

As for Joe, I'd be surprised if he stays here past the 3rd year of his contract which is 2015.

So inking Joe long term was a poor plan? The parts they could have gotten for him would still be on the rise and might not even be on the team yet.

So inking Joe long term was a poor plan? The parts they could have gotten for him would still be on the rise and might not even be on the team yet.

I don't think it was. He'd just come off a stupendous Playoffs/Superbowl run which ended in a championship. Essentially we signed him to a 3 year deal according to all that I was reading at the time even though the surface length was longer. We'll find out in at the end of 2015 if he stays or goes.

And we'd be sitting here hopeless and crying with somebody like Jake Locker, Geno Smith, Matt Cassell, or Blake Bortles at QB.

I have no confidence in Joe and the offense to make up for our losses in the secondary, this is when you're 120 million dollar QB is suppose to earn his money, instead we will just go quietly and fade into Bolivia lol (mike tyson reference). i kind of hope we just tank it from this point forward, no sense in winning the TENN. game and maybe another one or two just to finish in the middle of the pack as far as drafting. might as well lose them all and get the best draft position possible. I really wish Joe was worth the money we are paying him, because if he was then our season wouldn't be lost.

You want to elevate Joe then protect his fucking ass, he's getting slaughtered back there, he has no time, they showed the stat on Sunday nights debackle Joe was getting 2.3 seconds before he was getting pressured, he needs more then that, o line has really faltered here of late.

I don't think it was. He'd just come off a stupendous Playoffs/Superbowl run which ended in a championship. Essentially we signed him to a 3 year deal according to all that I was reading at the time even though the surface length was longer. We'll find out in at the end of 2015 if he stays or goes.

As I was told after pointing out a 34 game sample set I was cherry picking. I would say 4 games is really cherrypicking.

And we'd be sitting here hopeless and crying with somebody like Jake Locker, Geno Smith, Matt Cassell, or Blake Bortles at QB.

So is there some rule that would force the Ravens to draft a QB they don't like?

You want to elevate Joe then protect his fucking ass, he's getting slaughtered back there, he has no time, they showed the stat on Sunday nights debackle Joe was getting 2.3 seconds before he was getting pressured, he needs more then that, o line has really faltered here of late.

Joe does need to be protected better, i give you that, but Joe never takes off running, he's a better athlete than even what he thinks, there are times when he can run for a first down or get positive yards and he doesn't do it. Joe is not the only Qb who is under pressure, but it looks like Joe hasn't learned anything in 6 plus years about buying time , manipulating the pocket and having overall pocket awareness. i'm not trying to bash Joe, but this is why he's getting the big bucks now go and put up some points.

Joe does need to be protected better, i give you that, but Joe never takes off running, he's a better athlete than even what he thinks, there are times when he can run for a first down or get positive yards and he doesn't do it. Joe is not the only Qb who is under pressure, but it looks like Joe hasn't learned anything in 6 plus years about buying time , manipulating the pocket and having overall pocket awareness. i'm not trying to bash Joe, but this is why he's getting the big bucks now go and put up some points.

He hasn't learned anything in 6 1\2 years? And you're not trying to bash him? 5 straight playoff appearances, 3 afccg, 1 sb victory, and a MVP of that super bowl,8 straight years the super winner fails to win a playoff game the next year, I hope folks are ripping Russell Wilson the way Joe gets ripped.

This year isn't over I fully expect us to be back in the playoffs, but manning,Brady,Bree's and the green bay qb, would get crushed with this o line this year and last year. I'm totally shocked we are still in the playoff hunt this year.

Joe Flacco can't win for losing. He wins a Super Bowl, people don't like him because he gets a big contract. He loses several receivers and has a makeshift OL, goes through a couple OCs, has a few bad games, and everyone lights into him. I don't think the guy is ever going to get his due, no matter what he does on the field.

But I"lł pose this - imagine Joe going down with a season ending surgery and Tyrod leading the team the rest of the way. How bad is he looking then ?

I've always said Joe is Joe. He's a good to sometimes very good QB. Not great just good. He's not Brady, Manning, Rodgers. He's just Joe.

Joe Flacco can't win for losing. He wins a Super Bowl, people don't like him because he gets a big contract. He loses several receivers and has a makeshift OL, goes through a couple OCs, has a few bad games, and everyone lights into him. I don't think the guy is ever going to get his due, no matter what he does on the field.

But I"lł pose this - imagine Joe going down with a season ending surgery and Tyrod leading the team the rest of the way. How bad is he looking then ?

I've always said Joe is Joe. He's a good to sometimes very good QB. Not great just good. He's not Brady, Manning, Rodgers. He's just Joe.

Comparing Joe to a backup Qb that has started one game his entire career, laughable. Thats what we're doing now.

He hasn't learned anything in 6 1\2 years? And you're not trying to bash him? 5 straight playoff appearances, 3 afccg, 1 sb victory, and a MVP of that super bowl,8 straight years the super winner fails to win a playoff game the next year, I hope folks are ripping Russell Wilson the way Joe gets ripped.

This year isn't over I fully expect us to be back in the playoffs, but manning,Brady,Bree's and the green bay qb, would get crushed with this o line this year and last year. I'm totally shocked we are still in the playoff hunt this year.

when Joe (and the ravens) accomplished all of these feats, Joe was making about what he should be making as a starting QB. Joe (and the ravens ) would have never accomplished those things if Joe was under the contract he's under now. Joe takes up too much money and is not good enough to do what he did his first 5 years in the league. and IF he is good enough we are about to find out, because you want to give Joe all of the credit for the the Ravens success , well right now it is all about Joe. he got his money, now it's time to earn it. If Joe gets us to the playoffs i'll never say anything about Joe ever again. but if he doesn't it just proves he's not worth the money he's being paid.