ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Combine: Player Measurables

SpearSrai

I am starting to like Benn. I wonder what his 40 time will be.

I like all of them, as it turns out. Even Golden Tate is starting to grow on me... his after-the-catch moves are ridiculous. Just like everyone, I'm scared-to-death of "YAC" guys because that was what Clayton was supposed to do well, and because he's only 5'10, and I'm not saying we should draft him in the first round, or that he'll still be there in the 2nd. All I'm saying is that he could end up being a big-time playmaker in the NFL, possibly in a Reggie-Bush-style role. A Reggie-type weapon in the 2nd would be a steal.

As for the rest... We don't have a shot at getting Bryant, and I'll be surprised if one of the other guys doesn't go before we pick also (especially if they put up sub-4.4 40's) We know we'll probably have a shot at either Benn or Thomas in the first, but there could be a better value at that pick (Kyle Wilson? Gresham? One of the DE's falling?) And who knows what will happen between the time we pick and our 2nd-rounder...

I like all of them, as it turns out. Even Golden Tate is starting to grow on me... his after-the-catch moves are ridiculous. Just like everyone, I'm scared-to-death of "YAC" guys because that was what Clayton was supposed to do well, and because he's only 5'10, and I'm not saying we should draft him in the first round, or that he'll still be there in the 2nd. All I'm saying is that he could end up being a big-time playmaker in the NFL, possibly in a Reggie-Bush-style role. A Reggie-type weapon in the 2nd would be a steal.

As for the rest... We don't have a shot at getting Bryant, and I'll be surprised if one of the other guys doesn't go before we pick also (especially if they put up sub-4.4 40's) We know we'll probably have a shot at either Benn or Thomas in the first, but there could be a better value at that pick (Kyle Wilson? Gresham? One of the DE's falling?) And who knows what will happen between the time we pick and our 2nd-rounder...

I agree with you on the Tate-Clayton comparison. ESPN compared Clayton coming out to a Steve Smith-Peter Warrick hybrid. Unfortunately, Clayton was more Warrick than Smtih. The YAC stuff that Clayton did in college just didn't work in the pros, and Clayton just doesn't have that extra step to get consistently deep in the pros. A big part of Steve Smith's game is his electrifying speed that allows him to get deep and take short passes the distance. Same with Reggie Bush, it is his speed that allows him to be a weapon. I believe that Clayton would be a great receiver if he was a half-step faster, he just does not have that extra gear required for someone with his style of play. As for Tate, his 40 time is going to be very influencial in where he is drafted. If he has 4.3 speed, he can certainly be a playmaker in this league. If he runs a 4.44 or above like Clayton, he is going to have a difficult time playing a Steve Smith-style of game, much like Warrick and Clayton before him.

As for the other guys, reports today say we are interviewing Demaryius Thomas, Mardy Gilyard, Shay Hodge, and Mike Williams. All of these guys would provide solid options in the second round. Add Damian Williams and possibly Thomas to that mix and we will have a lot to choose from. BTW, check this guy out. Dorin Dickerson TE out of Pitt is only 6'1" 226 pounds, but he ran a 4.40 40 with 24 reps on the bench, 43-inch vert, and a 10.5 broadjump. The guy found the endzone a lot at Pitt, has soft hands, can get deep and tracks the ball well, and works the whole field. Yes, he might not be a true tight-end, but he would be a solid weapon for us on offense who we could use in an expanded Daniel Wilcox-type role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fZQpuoJ_Q

As for the other guys, reports today say we are interviewing Demaryius Thomas, Mardy Gilyard, Shay Hodge, and Mike Williams. All of these guys would provide solid options in the second round. Add Damian Williams and possibly Thomas to that mix and we will have a lot to choose from. BTW, check this guy out. Dorin Dickerson TE out of Pitt is only 6'1" 226 pounds, but he ran a 4.40 40 with 24 reps on the bench, 43-inch vert, and a 10.5 broadjump. The guy found the endzone a lot at Pitt, has soft hands, can get deep and tracks the ball well, and works the whole field. Yes, he might not be a true tight-end, but he would be a solid weapon for us on offense who we could use in an expanded Daniel Wilcox-type role.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fZQpuoJ_Q

I just don't see how Thomas slips to our second round pick! Despite his foot injury, dude is a freak and insanely productive despite playing in an offense that isn't favorable to WR. We'd be lucky to get Thomas by trading back in the 1st or to early 2nd at the latest. Our best chance to find a trade partner is if people like Iupati, Campbell, Gresham, Graham, Wilson slip to our pick and someone wants to jump up to grab them! Of course, Gresham, Graham, Wilson could be too good of value and satisfy need for us as well!

As far as Gilyard, Hodge, and Williams...I agree they all would be amazing value in the 2nd. Names to add Briscoe, Lafell, and Shipley.

Bottom line...I think we need to add 2 WR through this draft alone plus one more through free agency for this offseason to be considered a success at the WR position.

Dickerson is an interesting prospect. He kinda blew up the combine in a Dustin Keller/Vernon Davis mold; although with all the other talent in this draft there is no way he made his way into the 1st round like they did. 2nd or 3rd round he could be a steal!

I just don't see how Thomas slips to our second round pick! Despite his foot injury, dude is a freak and insanely productive despite playing in an offense that isn't favorable to WR. We'd be lucky to get Thomas by trading back in the 1st or to early 2nd at the latest. Our best chance to find a trade partner is if people like Iupati, Campbell, Gresham, Graham, Wilson slip to our pick and someone wants to jump up to grab them! Of course, Gresham, Graham, Wilson could be too good of value and satisfy need for us as well!

To me, Thomas looks like a top 15 pick, so I definitely wouldn't have any problem with us taking him at #25. Who knows...he might not even be there for us when we go on the clock (and if he is, it may only be because of the injury). The guy is an absolute freak athletically, showing good speed, hands, and overall playmaking ability. If you told me he was the #1 receiver in the draft, I wouldn't be able to prove you wrong with video evidence. The only negatives I've heard about the guy had to do with his system, but I've also heard those same arguments flipped around and used as proof of why he is so good...because he produced amazing numbers in a run-first offense.

Yeah, I do not think that Thomas falls to us in the second. Maybe we trade down from our pick and pick up an additional 2nd/3rd rounder? Okay, I am really starting to like Mike Williams. This guy is a freak! If you watch him play he plays very similar to Dez Bryant. Big, strong, and fast with great hands. He had 49 catches, 746 yards (15.2 avg), 6 TD in only 7 games last season and 60 catches, 837 yards (13.9 avg.), 10 TD in 12 games in 2007 (he was suspended in 2008 for academic reasons). So production is far from a problem for Williams, the guy can ball. Yes, the guy is a risk with his off the field problems, but he showed up at the combine in peak condition, so you know he is working hard. In my opinion, he is well worth the risk! He is quickly becoming my favorite and I would nab him in the second round in a hurry. Here is a highlight reel:

And check this athleticism out! What he is doing here is insane! The guy he is dunking with (Donte' Green, who went to Towson HS I believe) is a 6'10 NBA player.

Golden Tate just ran an unofficial 4.36 40! Shows that he has crazy separation speed to go along with his abilities to accumulate YAC. Still, do we really want another sub 5'11" WR?

That is exactly what Tate needed! This shows he has the speed needed to play his style of game in the NFL. I would not have a problem with taking him now.

Golden Tate just ran an unofficial 4.36 40! Shows that he has crazy separation speed to go along with his abilities to accumulate YAC. Still, do we really want another sub 5'11" WR?

A sub-5'11 WR with 4.3 speed is worlds different from a 5'10 guy with 4.5 speed. Tate has all of the big-play moves...former RB who knows how to break tackles... yeah, I wouldn't be mad about having Tate in our lineup. He'll be a star.

A sub-5'11 WR with 4.3 speed is worlds different from a 5'10 guy with 4.5 speed. Tate has all of the big-play moves...former RB who knows how to break tackles... yeah, I wouldn't be mad about having Tate in our lineup. He'll be a star.

I agree. Give Mark Clayton 4.3 speed and I think he is a great receiver in this league.

Benn runs a 4.48 at 6'1" 219 pounds and posts 20 reps on the bench press. I think he just solidified his status as a first rounder.

Mike Williams runs a 4.49 at 6'2" 221 pounds, but only posts 8 reps on the bench? Heck, I can do that at 175 pounds! That is the lowest at the position!

Not saying that Tate isn't talented and won't have a great NFL career, but say we draft him #1 where do we go to get our much needed tall, physical WR who is impossible to defend in the red zone?

First round WR like Benn and Thomas really match up well with what we are looking for for a WR...speed, athleticism, size, and loads of upside.

I could honestly see Tate now going #21 to the Bengals after his 40...

Not saying that Tate isn't talented and won't have a great NFL career, but say we draft him #1 where do we go to get our much needed tall, physical WR who is impossible to defend in the red zone?

First round WR like Benn and Thomas really match up well with what we are looking for for a WR...speed, athleticism, size, and loads of upside.

I could honestly see Tate now going #21 to the Bengals after his 40...

I agree with you, we need a big receiver. I do not see us taking Tate in the first round, it just does not match up with our personel. By the way, Tate body catches way too much for my liking. We need a guy with a larger catching radius who can work the middle of the field.

Now that Tate has proven his speed I'm not against drafting him but we need to come out of this draft with a "big" WR. I still like Benn and that is who I would want. I really liked Jacoby Ford as well. He did really well during the Senior Bowl week and if he was there in the 3rd I would take him. His speed is something we could really use on the deep ball. That said, Al Davis will take him in the 2nd most likely.

Now that Tate has proven his speed I'm not against drafting him but we need to come out of this draft with a "big" WR. I still like Benn and that is who I would want. I really liked Jacoby Ford as well. He did really well during the Senior Bowl week and if he was there in the 3rd I would take him. His speed is something we could really use on the deep ball. That said, Al Davis will take him in the 2nd most likely.

Haha I think Al Davis will trade up from #7 overall to #1 overall to draft Jacoby Ford...or Bruce Campbell for that matter!

Also, don't discount Damian Williams. He may have run a 4.53, but when you are as smooth as him in running routes you play a lot faster on the field than your timed speed. At 6'1" 197 pounds he put up 19 reps on the bench with a 38-inch vert. He would definitely be a good target for Joe in the over-the-middle intermediate passing game.

Like I said, keep an eye on this Carlton Mitchell out of USF. Like I said, at 6'2" 196 he posted a 4.42 40 (4.49 official) and 16 reps on the bench. His production at USF was decent and he is coming out as a redshirt junior so he is still a little raw and might take some time to develop, but he made big strides each year (he has been the team's #1 receiver since his RS freshmen year). He not only has fast track speed (Mitchell runs the 400 and competes in long jump for USF) but he plays fast too. BTW, Mitchell is the consensus best blocking receiver in the draft and is tough enough to go over the middle and take a hit. Keep an eye on this guy.

Okay, I am really starting to like Mike Williams. This guy is a freak! If you watch him play he plays very similar to Dez Bryant. Big, strong, and fast with great hands. He had 49 catches, 746 yards (15.2 avg), 6 TD in only 7 games last season and 60 catches, 837 yards (13.9 avg.), 10 TD in 12 games in 2007 (he was suspended in 2008 for academic reasons). So production is far from a problem for Williams, the guy can ball. Yes, the guy is a risk with his off the field problems, but he showed up at the combine in peak condition, so you know he is working hard. In my opinion, he is well worth the risk! He is quickly becoming my favorite and I would nab him in the second round in a hurry. Here is a highlight reel:

And check this athleticism out! What he is doing here is insane! The guy he is dunking with (Donte' Green, who went to Towson HS I believe) is a 6'10 NBA player.

Donte Greene went to Towson Catholic (like Carmelo), not Towson.

And, considering his 8 reps on the bench press, I wouldn't say he arrived in peak physical condition. I just don't like him. But I suppose I am biased.

More on Williams:

"Mike Williams did not help himself," the source said. "He was supposed to be a 4.4 guy and was closer to 4.62. He was horrible in interviews blaming everyone but himself for his problems at Syracuse. . . . He did catch the ball [at the Scouting Combine] but everything else was poor."

The source also pointed out that Williams, who quit the Syracuse football team in November, won't be permitted to work out at the Orange Pro Day.

"He is a great talent but a train wreck as a person," the source opined, expressing regret for the fact that draft experts who pump up Williams' chances are only setting the player and his family up for disappointment when reality strikes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/28/mixed-reviews-on-the-new-mike-williams

Donte Greene went to Towson Catholic (like Carmelo), not Towson.

And, considering his 8 reps on the bench press, I wouldn't say he arrived in peak physical condition. I just don't like him. But I suppose I am biased.

Right, Towson Catholic, that is what I meant to say. The blogs said Williams came in looking like he was in great shape. If you look at the YouTube dunk contest video, you can see that Williams is a very thick guy. It would not surprise me if his lack of strength was because he was cutting weight a little bit to pick up some speed. Even if that is true, the fact that he was close to a 4.62 is alarming. Combine that with his terrible interviews and he seems like a guy that is just waiting to blow up. Maybe if he is there in the third or fourth round I would take a flyer, but not any higher.

Two guys to keep an eye on:

Taylor Price, WR, Ohio U. - 6' 204 pounds, 4.41 40, 37" vert. Consistent production at Ohio. He is a guy who has deep speed, great hands, excellent body control, and strong enough to fight a press. Ran great routes at the combine easily coming in and out of his routes.

Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Southern Methodist - 5'11" 186 pounds, 4.41 40, 39.5" vert. Very quick guy (4.10 SS) along with deep speed. Outstanding production at SMU. He has the potential to be a major mismatch as a slot guy in the NFL.