ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Xbox One: Kinect or No Kinect?

deeshopper

I have the Kinect, and the best feature of the Kinect is to tie together your entire entertainment system: your TV, soundsystem, cable TV, and the Xbox One for all your apps. The voice commands and/or SmartGlass application on your phone will make it so you do not need a remote. The Kinect turns on and off all your devices, volume control, TV control, etc. If you do not have a complex entertainment system, the Kinect isn't neccessary. You can still plug in your cable box to your Xbox One and access everything through the Xbox One without needing to change inputs. In my system, I had three different remotes and my wife could not even turn on the TV. Now she just uses the voice controls to access whatever she needs.

Hope that helps!

Thanks guys. Cleetz, that helps a bunch.

I have a system that has the TV, surround sound, BluRay, and cable box. The Wii is currently hooked up to it, and while I wouldn't put the X1 down there just yet, it sounds like the Kinect would help me reel in the three different remotes. How complicated is the setup?

Thanks guys. Cleetz, that helps a bunch.

I have a system that has the TV, surround sound, BluRay, and cable box. The Wii is currently hooked up to it, and while I wouldn't put the X1 down there just yet, it sounds like the Kinect would help me reel in the three different remotes. How complicated is the setup?

You can use the Xbox One as your Blu Ray player. If your surround sound has HDMI-in, the preferred set-up would be: cable box into the Xbox One, Xbox One into the surround sound and surround sound into the TV. You would have to hook up the Wii into the TV directly and use an optical output to the surround sound if you wanted surround sound for your Wii as well. In this setup the only time you would change inputs would be to play your Wii. Otherwise all your TV, apps and movies would he through the Xbox One.

If your surround sound does not have HDMI-in, you would hook your Xbox One directly to the TV via HDMI and optical out from your TV to the sound system (that way both the Wii and Xbox One can have surround sound).

Sounds complicated but it isn't too bad. The initial setup of the Xbox allows your to input all your devices so the Kinect knows which signals to send.