ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The first of many

For every UAB there is a Florida Atlantic (another C-USA school):

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/record-setting-gift-for-fau-student-athletes/njKWy/

FAU also opened a new stadium on campus back in 2011. The writing was on the wall for UAB also in 2011 when the state rejected their plans for an on-campus stadium. Take it from someone who went to a D-1 school with no on-campus stadium, it is a hopeless battle. My school opened an on-campus stadium this season and the support for the team is night and day.

From what I've read about UAB is that this was very heavily influenced by Alabama politics. Birmingham is too close to Tuscaloosa. The school and city have long been trying for an on-campus stadium. On the other hand, the University of South Alabama in Mobile is likely to get an on-campus stadium soon. And with UAB having to give up its membership in Conference USA because it no longer sponsors football, South Alabama is likely to move up from the Sunbelt and take UAB's place.

I am not refuting your point, but in this specific situation there are a lot of politics in play.