ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Davis and Adderall

dc.

Here's what I don't get about major league sports...

"Davis Receives Exemption to Use Adderall in 2015"

So... he used it legally before 2013. Somehow, that exemption was not given for 2014, so his continued use led to a suspension. Now he's been given the exemption again.

My first thought is... he really needs it for whatever (ADHD, who knows). That means that his denial of exemption last year had to based on some technicality - late submission? bad doctors note? Why would they not let someone with a diagnosed condition - and "therapeutic treatment" history - continue to use it?

So what MLB is really saying is, like a lot of really crappy high school policies, "it's more important that you meet our random bureaucratic rules than we actually follow through on what is right for a player."

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/12/17/baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-adderall-exemption

Here's what I don't get about major league sports...

"Davis Receives Exemption to Use Adderall in 2015"

So... he used it legally before 2013. Somehow, that exemption was not given for 2014, so his continued use led to a suspension. Now he's been given the exemption again.

My first thought is... he really needs it for whatever (ADHD, who knows). That means that his denial of exemption last year had to based on some technicality - late submission? bad doctors note? Why would they not let someone with a diagnosed condition - and "therapeutic treatment" history - continue to use it?

So what MLB is really saying is, like a lot of really crappy high school policies, "it's more important that you meet our random bureaucratic rules than we actually follow through on what is right for a player."

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/12/17/baltimore-orioles-chris-davis-adderall-exemption

I'm a little more sympathetic to ADD/ADHD after learning about it from my wife who has it. From what I understand prescriptions are very heavily monitored and expire easily. You meet with a doctor on a regular basis who then decides whether or not whether there is need to re-prescribe the prescription. You get busy with work, or life, you forget to schedule doctor appointments. It happens to us all. You don't want to build a long-term dependency on the drug, so ideally you don't want to be on it all the time.

Also from what I understand, one can feel completely OK for months without use, but then suddenly your brain feels like it's not working properly. I've been told it's a "cloudy" feeling where you simply cannot function and even the most simple tasks seem overwhelming. That cloudiness could last for weeks/months after that, or could go right away again. I was skeptical for the longest time thinking ADD/ADHD was something that was simply over diagnosed, but I have seen the effects it has had on one's ability to function. It can be crippling.

In other words, CD could have felt fine, felt like he did not need the drug and did not meet with a doctor to renew. Or he simply could have been busy or forget (he is a busy baseball player who recently had a child). Then he could have been hit extremely hard sometime last season, which could explain why he took the drug even though he knew he'd be suspended. Once you've used the drug once and experienced its effects, it can be hard to not use it when you know what you're going through can be "cured".

So if I had to guess I do not think this was technical oversight or bearucratic procedure. I think this was purely on CD not seeking renewal during the appropriate timeframe. He then had an unanticipated need of the drug. Just my opinion/guesstimate.

I guess my familiarity with it - as a teacher who has a lot of students diagnosed - I am sympathetic with Chris because I feel like all those elements should be understood by the league.

Here's what I learned in another article: there is a doctor for MLB who reviews all of the exemptions and gives them the OK. In 2011 or 2012, Chris was denied - after having previously been approved. There's no explanation on why he was denied. After that denial, he never asked for the exemption again. There is no deadline for applying, you can apply at any time. Each application lasts a year.

So, to me it seems 50-50. Chris should have kept applying, should have kept saying he needs it. No clue why he didn't. But I am still very curious was MLB denied in the first place - still could be on Chris and some technical error, but it just seems silly and unlikely. You'd think his agent or some team reps would be all over it.

ESPN also said that applications and approvals are both down over the last 5 years for all types of exemptions. No explanation for that. Makes me wonder, again, why and what MLB might be doing to try to create that change.

I guess my familiarity with it - as a teacher who has a lot of students diagnosed - I am sympathetic with Chris because I feel like all those elements should be understood by the league.

Here's what I learned in another article: there is a doctor for MLB who reviews all of the exemptions and gives them the OK. In 2011 or 2012, Chris was denied - after having previously been approved. There's no explanation on why he was denied. After that denial, he never asked for the exemption again. There is no deadline for applying, you can apply at any time. Each application lasts a year.

So, to me it seems 50-50. Chris should have kept applying, should have kept saying he needs it. No clue why he didn't. But I am still very curious was MLB denied in the first place - still could be on Chris and some technical error, but it just seems silly and unlikely. You'd think his agent or some team reps would be all over it.

ESPN also said that applications and approvals are both down over the last 5 years for all types of exemptions. No explanation for that. Makes me wonder, again, why and what MLB might be doing to try to create that change.

Good post. I didn't know about all of that. If he was denied in the past for no reason I certainly feel for him. I know that part of it can be extremely frustrating. I agree with you, he should have kept applying. However, you're right, there needs to be more awareness by the league on the issue. Or at least some sort explanation on the league's reasoning. I will say this, the MLB is still light years ahead of the NFL on the front of medications.

• 4 weeks later...