ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Happy 75th Birthday to...

bmw800

... the 21st Amendment to the United States Constitution, which was ratified on this date in 1933 by Utah, the 36th state to do so, thereby fulfilling the requirement that it be ratified by 3/4 of the states.

The 21st Amendment, of course, overturned the 18th Amendment and therefore ended 14 years of Prohibition in America.

So go celebrate by getting yourself wasted! (And call a cab!) B)

... the 21st Amendment to the United States Constitution, which was ratified on this date in 1933 by Utah, the 36th state to do so, thereby fulfilling the requirement that it be ratified by 3/4 of the states.

The 21st Amendment, of course, overturned the 18th Amendment and therefore ended 14 years of Prohibition in America.

So go celebrate by getting yourself wasted! (And call a cab!) B)

A toast to you sir! cheers.gif

Yeah, but don't tell them. I'm a rambunctious college kid full of rebellion and looking to get into trouble.

Right?! :unsure:

As a fellow (well, former fellow) attendee of a NY college (upstate, but not quite so upstate as Syracuse), I do not understand how you survive without drinking. :P I mean hell, there are weeks there when you can't see the sun due to the fact its cloudy all the damn time. Depressing as all get out. That, and there is nothing to do in Troy, NY.

Guest BallTMore

I also don't drink, and I must say that I feel like an outcast for not doing so.

When you're a kid people tell you not to smoke, or drink. Well, I don't. Now I get asked why I don't, and also get asked "what's wrong with you?" :lol:

Edited by BallTMore

As a fellow (well, former fellow) attendee of a NY college (upstate, but not quite so upstate as Syracuse), I do not understand how you survive without drinking. :P I mean hell, there are weeks there when you can't see the sun due to the fact its cloudy all the damn time. Depressing as all get out. That, and there is nothing to do in Troy, NY.

Troy's no Syracuse, though. Cuse is a pretty major city, and I'm actually a huge fan of cold/snowy weather.

I survive by not attending classes. :P

I was thinking just the opposite, Spen. I expect a law lowering the drinking age back to 18 again in the next 10 years or so. Upwards of 100 college presidents signed on to some petition about it already this year... college presidents, not sga presidents, like, the actual deans of the schools.

I'm smart enough to know that it never will, but I'd like to hope that one day it'll come to successful fruition and work, for good.

Why would you want that to happen? If you want to have a drink then drink, if you don't then don't. Why would anyone want a law stopping everyone else from doing something?

I was thinking just the opposite, Spen. I expect a law lowering the drinking age back to 18 again in the next 10 years or so. Upwards of 100 college presidents signed on to some petition about it already this year... college presidents, not sga presidents, like, the actual deans of the schools.

I remember reading about that, they made some good arguments. I would still be amazed if it ever got lowered again. I am not sure whether I think it should be, but I have never really thought about it. Well, since I turned 21 I haven't.

I remember reading about that, they made some good arguments. I would still be amazed if it ever got lowered again. I am not sure whether I think it should be, but I have never really thought about it. Well, since I turned 21 I haven't.

There are many arguments for it, but my personal favorite is that if the government thinks that you are old enough to make a conscious decision to put your life on the line by enlisting in the armed forces, then it should recognize that you are also old enough to make the decision on whether or not to have a beer. That has always been mind-boggling to me.

There are many arguments for it, but my personal favorite is that if the government thinks that you are old enough to make a conscious decision to put your life on the line by enlisting in the armed forces, then it should recognize that you are also old enough to make the decision on whether or not to have a beer. That has always been mind-boggling to me.

Agree 100%. Old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink in your country.

I think that's a fine reason, but I think there are others as well.

What I think is particularly stupid is the near-criminal way underage drinking is treated. It is to the point that if two 20 year olds are drinking together, and one suffers alcohol poisoning, the other has to weigh calling an ambulance against getting himself in serious trouble - and I mean serious. At many colleges, the punishments are suspension, loss of on-campus housing privileges, and even expulsion.

And additionally, kids who want to drink are forced to do so in unsafe ways because there is no safe outlet.

In a sense, it's little different from kids being forced to ride their bikes on city streets or play in the street because the city offers too few parks, bike paths, etc...

I think that's a fine reason, but I think there are others as well.

What I think is particularly stupid is the near-criminal way underage drinking is treated. It is to the point that if two 20 year olds are drinking together, and one suffers alcohol poisoning, the other has to weigh calling an ambulance against getting himself in serious trouble - and I mean serious. At many colleges, the punishments are suspension, loss of on-campus housing privileges, and even expulsion.

And additionally, kids who want to drink are forced to do so in unsafe ways because there is no safe outlet.

In a sense, it's little different from kids being forced to ride their bikes on city streets or play in the street because the city offers too few parks, bike paths, etc...

Except that, you know, riding bikes isn't illegal. There is no argument whatsoever for a necessity of the government to protect illegal activities. Don't think the 20 year old should have to make that decision? Well, a few hours earlier, he also had the decision to make in regards to whether or not to drink. Oops.

"Near-criminal" way it's treated? It IS criminal, and should be treated as such. Simple as that.

Agree 100%. Old enough to die for your country, old enough to drink in your country.

Then I guess it's fair to say that I'm old enough to collect senior citizen benefits for my country! Oh, wait, that wouldn't make sense. The age for senior citizen recognition is set for a reason. Gosh. I guess that means the drinking age is set for a reason, too!

Why would you want that to happen? If you want to have a drink then drink, if you don't then don't. Why would anyone want a law stopping everyone else from doing something?

Are you, like, serious? If laws that stopped people from doing things didn't exist, you'd probably not be here to argue such a ridiculous take.

Pro-lower drinking age and pro-marijuana knuckleheads are the (sometimes) non-fatal scum of the earth.

Then I guess it's fair to say that I'm old enough to collect senior citizen benefits for my country! Oh, wait, that wouldn't make sense. The age for senior citizen recognition is set for a reason. Gosh. I guess that means the drinking age is set for a reason, too!

Here's the deal. You never served your country. IMO you are the last person who has a say on what what those that did, do. Get it? Good.

Long story short I'd be happy...no, proud to sit at a bar drinking some beers with a couple of 17 year old kids willing to risk their lives so you can smugly sit here and try to dictate what they can and cannot do.

It's not about age, it's about actions. These people in the military have demonstrated great courage. What's your claim to fame?

Moderating here? Being a Dale Junior fan? There's something to hang your hat on there. :rolleyes:

Here's the deal. You never served your country. IMO you are the last person who has a say on what what those that did, do. Get it? Good.

Long story short I'd be happy...no, proud to sit at a bar drinking some beers with a couple of 17 year old kids willing to risk their lives so you can smugly sit here and try to dictate what they can and cannot do.

It's not about age, it's about actions. These people in the military have demonstrated great courage. What's your claim to fame?

Moderating here? Being a Dale Junior fan? There's something to hang your hat on there. :rolleyes:

I really couldn't care less about your opinion of me or what I have to say, whatsoever.

Believe it or not, entering the service isn't the only qualification required for an educated opinion, of which I'm fairly confident you lack in every way. You appear to enjoy living in cliches grasping at an imaginary utopian fairyland. However, you'll find that there are consequences to every action.

And, you're right, it is about actions. I'd ask you what actions teenagers generally perform that merit for them the legality of these things, but as I said before, I really don't give a tiny Chad Johnson testicle about your holier-than-thou opinion. Mine is educated, and that seems to be more than can be said for yours as it stands, anyway.

Are you, like, serious? If laws that stopped people from doing things didn't exist, you'd probably not be here to argue such a ridiculous take.

Pro-lower drinking age and pro-marijuana knuckleheads are the (sometimes) non-fatal scum of the earth.

Are you like serious? Please tell me you can do better than that. Dont dodge questions and tell me why you would be in favor of a national prohibition law which you stated you would be.

Except that, you know, riding bikes isn't illegal. There is no argument whatsoever for a necessity of the government to protect illegal activities. Don't think the 20 year old should have to make that decision? Well, a few hours earlier, he also had the decision to make in regards to whether or not to drink. Oops.

"Near-criminal" way it's treated? It IS criminal, and should be treated as such. Simple as that.

The degree to which it is punished, however, is disproportionate to the severity of the crime (which it shouldn't be in the first place). If a 20 year old is drinking, just the act of him or her drinking is not hurting a damn person. However, if he walks home and a cop passes him, notices he smells like alcohol, and writes him up for it, that person can face fines and (depending on the attitude of the institution) get thrown completely out of school. Which is insane, because "expelled from such and such" has to be on every subsequent application and every resume that student makes for the rest of their lives, which severely impacts, well, everything.

This does not, of course, extend to things like DUIs, but these already have laws against them, so they fall in a separate category.

That whole comparison is completely bunk. Your example, the age limit on senior citizen benefits, isn't based on not being old enough to responsibly make a decision on whether or not to receive them, but on setting a reasonable time in which to provide for the needs of failing health, retirement, etc.

The issue here, is that you have two incongruous limits being set for similar purposes. The 18 year old age limit for pretty much everything in this country other than drinking (smoking, legal adult, military service, etc.) is set because it is at this age, in the eyes of the government, that a person has the mental capacity and experience to smoke (which, by the way, can give you CANCER, which makes it a fairly important life decision), deal with their finances, sign legally binding documents, put their life on the line for their country, and all manner of other things. To turn around and say that one can do all these things and weigh them responsibly, but cannot have a beer responsibly, is, quite frankly, ludicrous. As I and dc have both said, there are many other (and most probably better) reasons for a drinking age of 18, but this particular one show just how crazy even the rationale behind this law actually is.

If you are seriously trying to compare laws stopping people from doing things like murder, rape, steal, etc, to laws stopping people from doing things that hurt absolutely no one, like drinking, and do not affect society as a whole one iota, then you need to go re-examine something.

As for the pro-marijuana thing, let me just say: I don't smoke marijuana, but the fact that it is illegal while smoking tobacco is not is absolutely absurd. Marijuana is not physically addictive, tobacco is (You could argue that it can be psychologically addictive, but then, so can pretty much anything). Marijuana will not cause long-term health effects, smoking tobacco likely will. And yet, it is marijuana that is prosecuted, fills up prisons, costs billions of dollars to try and fight, and for what? Legalizing (and controlling) marijuana will eliminate overcrowding in prisons, allow the focus on actual harmful substances, and save the government lots of money.

And I'm sorry, scum of the earth? Excuse me, but do explain how people like me are the "scum of the earth" because, honestly, I don't see how you could call anyone who wants a bit more reason and a bit more freedom in our country scum.

I really couldn't care less about your opinion of me or what I have to say, whatsoever.

Believe it or not, entering the service isn't the only qualification required for an educated opinion, of which I'm fairly confident you lack in every way. You appear to enjoy living in cliches grasping at an imaginary utopian fairyland. However, you'll find that there are consequences to every action.

And, you're right, it is about actions. I'd ask you what actions teenagers generally perform that merit for them the legality of these things, but as I said before, I really don't give a tiny Chad Johnson testicle about your holier-than-thou opinion. Mine is educated, and that seems to be more than can be said for yours as it stands, anyway.

Has your goal for the last year or so been to look like an ass? if so well done.