ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Mock 1st Round

ravensfanatic77

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. St. Louis Rams: Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

2. Detroit Lions: Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma

3. Tampa Bay Bucaneers: Eric Berry, S, Tennessee

4. Washington Redskins: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

5. Kansas City Chiefs: Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

6. Seattle Seahawks: Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

7. Cleveland Browns: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

8. Oakland Raiders: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

9. Buffalo Bills: Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

10. Jacksonville Jaguars: Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

11. Denver Broncos (from Chicago): Rolando McClain, ILB, Alabama

12. Miami Dolphins: Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

13. San Francisco 49ers: Joe Haden, CB, Florida

14. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver): C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

15. New York Giants: Earl Thomas, S, Texas

16. Tennessee Titans: Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

17. San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina): Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

18. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Iupati, OG/OT, Idaho

19. Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan

20. Houston Texans: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

22. New England Patriots: Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

23. Green Bay Packers: Charles Brown, OT, USC

24. Philadelphia Eagles: Sean Witherspoon, OLB, Missouri

25. Baltimore Ravens: Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

26. Arizona Cardinals: Maurkice Pouncey, OC/OG, Florida

27. Dallas Cowboys: Taylor Mays, S, USC

28. San Diego Chargers: Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno St.

29. New York Jets: Everson Griffen, DE, USC

30. Minnesota Vikings: Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama

31. Indianapolis Colts: Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State

32. New Orleans Saints: Jerry Hughes, OLB, TCU

The Rams cut their starting QB and did not trade for McNabb. By all indications they are taking Sam Bradford 1st overall or trading out of the spot and taking the best QB available at the lower spot.

I think the draft goes down like this at the top:

1. Sam Bradford

2. Ndamukong Suh

3. Gerald McCoy

4. Russell Okung

The Lions are the wild card. They could very well take Okung to protect Stafford which gives the Bucs the choice between Suh and McCoy and then leaves the Skins taking Bulaga.

As for the Ravens, well I don't like the Thomas pick because his game tape is inconclusive. He looks good running the 2 routes he ran on tape but an NFL WR has 10 routes of the route tree to run. Without the personal workouts he missed due to injury he hasn't been able to eleviate any of the question marks surrounding him and therefore becomes even more of a guess than most picks.

With what is left in your draft I would prefer to trade down and then target any of the guys you mentioned as options including Thomas. Although, without a trade down I would probably go with McCourty out of Rutgers as the pick.

The Rams cut their starting QB and did not trade for McNabb. By all indications they are taking Sam Bradford 1st overall or trading out of the spot and taking the best QB available at the lower spot.

I think the draft goes down like this at the top:

1. Sam Bradford

2. Ndamukong Suh

3. Gerald McCoy

4. Russell Okung

The Lions are the wild card. They could very well take Okung to protect Stafford which gives the Bucs the choice between Suh and McCoy and then leaves the Skins taking Bulaga.

As for the Ravens, well I don't like the Thomas pick because his game tape is inconclusive. He looks good running the 2 routes he ran on tape but an NFL WR has 10 routes of the route tree to run. Without the personal workouts he missed due to injury he hasn't been able to eleviate any of the question marks surrounding him and therefore becomes even more of a guess than most picks.

With what is left in your draft I would prefer to trade down and then target any of the guys you mentioned as options including Thomas. Although, without a trade down I would probably go with McCourty out of Rutgers as the pick.

I hear what you are saying about the Rams...and I agree, they will probably end up drafting Bradford although I do not think it is the right move at all for them! Suh is far and away the best talent in this draft and could be the best talent in the last 2-3 drafts! He is so elite it's sick! If I were the GM of the Rams I would have no problem drafting Suh with the intention of doing my best to secure Colt McCoy! McCoy is extremely talented in his own right and very well may end up being the better Pro QB of all the QB's in the draft.

As for Thomas, you can't really blame him for the routes that GT asked him to run. He performed amazingly when asked to do what they asked of him! I agree with Papasmurf that if he was in a Pro style offense he would definitely be considered the best WR of the entire draft. He has dream measurables in terms of his size and his production speaks volumes in and of itself. I would draft him #25 overall in a heartbeat if he is still there...the question is would be we so lucky to have the chance? If either him or Bryant fall to us I could definitely see us drafting either of them. In saying that, I also wouldn't mind a trade back scenario either...Odrick and McCourtey are 2 players that I like a lot! I can do without Terrence Cody!

Taylor Mays is junk! No thanks!

So is Thomas, in my opinion. Ever think that the reason he ran those routes was because they were all he could run well?

I'd love Odrick or Graham. I don't want a receiver early unless it's Bryant, and I don't particularly want him, either.

So is Thomas, in my opinion. Ever think that the reason he ran those routes was because they were all he could run well?

I'd love Odrick or Graham. I don't want a receiver early unless it's Bryant, and I don't particularly want him, either.

What's wrong with Arrelious Benn?

What's wrong with Arrelious Benn?

No production last season. Game tape shows him catching a lot of short stuff. He doesn't have blistering speed but for a big guy has adequate speed. Probably a very early 2nd round WR with a chance to be a bottom of the 1st for a team who overlooks his senior year production as a result of poor QB play and/or system.

That is the offense G-Tech ran, a triple-option, flexbone offense. Thomas either blocked, used his speed to run downfield off of the option, or caught a screen and used his size to get YAC. It is not Thomas's fault that Paul Johnson used Thomas's talent to help put the team in the best position to win. It has only won G-Tech an ACC Championship and tie for a divisional title the past two seasons, respectively. Thomas might be raw at route running, but what he does well, he does very well. And that is use his size and speed to get downfield to make a play on the ball deep, and to use his athleticism and aggressiveness in the redzone. There is certainly a niche for that type of player on this team.

Here is the thing, if we drafted Thomas I would see him as a Robert Meachem-type pick for us. We already have a receiving core in place so there would be no pressure for Thomas to be "the man." If he came here we would mainly use him in situations where his talents are best used. G-Tech ran the ball a lot, we run the ball a lot, the guy is used to blocking and working off of the playaction. Have him in there in running situations, then send him deep on the play action. We would also use him in redzone situations. This is exactly how he was used at G-Tech. We don't need this guy reading defenses and running routes he is not comfortable with his first year. Utilize his best talents while he learns from Mason and Boldin in practice to develop into a complete receiver. We would be an ideal fit for Thomas.

That is the offense G-Tech ran, a triple-option, flexbone offense. Thomas either blocked, used his speed to run downfield off of the option, or caught a screen and used his size to get YAC. It is not Thomas's fault that Paul Johnson used Thomas's talent to help put the team in the best position to win. It has only won G-Tech an ACC Championship and tie for a divisional title the past two seasons, respectively. Thomas might be raw at route running, but what he does well, he does very well. And that is use his size and speed to get downfield to make a play on the ball deep, and to use his athleticism and aggressiveness in the redzone. There is certainly a niche for that type of player on this team.

Here is the thing, if we drafted Thomas I would see him as a Robert Meachem-type pick for us. We already have a receiving core in place so there would be no pressure for Thomas to be "the man." If he came here we would mainly use him in situations where his talents are best used. G-Tech ran the ball a lot, we run the ball a lot, the guy is used to blocking and working off of the playaction. Have him in there in running situations, then send him deep on the play action. We would also use him in redzone situations. This is exactly how he was used at G-Tech. We don't need this guy reading defenses and running routes he is not comfortable with his first year. Utilize his best talents while he learns from Mason and Boldin in practice to develop into a complete receiver. We would be an ideal fit for Thomas.

I couldn't have said it better myself! My thoughts exactly! We need to draft a young, elite WR to groom with Flacco and learn behind both Boldin and Mason while we have them both. There is no pressure for him to come in and produce immediately which is a great spot for a WR transitioning from college to the pros! Sure, maybe a CB or DL, like McCourtey or Odrick would represent need a little more and value. But, I do not consider the BPA if Thomas is still on the board. For years people on this site have been begging for a big down field threat with vertical speed with the delusion that Demetrius Williams would facilitate this role...well can that dream official die and we can replace that with the real deal...Demaryius Thomas...please?!?!

So in 3-4 years time, is Thomas still playing the deep-threat/redzone role, or is he eventually developing into a #1 receiver? Because that's the guy we're trying to find... a #1 receiver for Flacco to develop with. A downfield threat would be great, but I'd also like to know that we're looking at a potential franchise guy as well. (Compare this to Gresham, who would be a great downfield/redzone weapon, but also would be able to put pressure on the defense in other ways as well)

Obviously we would get him with the hope that he would be a number one receiver in a couple of years, is that really worth mentioning? I mean I think we can all agree that Thomas has number one receiver potential (I mean he has drawn Calvin Johnson comparisons). Like I said, he would be a Robert Meachem-like pick for us. Having lived in New Orleans the past two years and having seen just about every Saints game, the progress Meachem has made is remarkable. Last season he was like Thomas, a big, fast guy who could pretty much only run downfield for jump balls. This season he emerged as a more complete receiver and is well on his way toward being a number one-type receiver. Meachem was able to contribute his second year (he was injured his rookie year) as a raw downfield target, but he was able to ease himself into developing as a complete receiver because the Saints had a solid receiving core in place. There was a niche for him, and he filled it for the team until he was ready for a larger role. We are in a similar situation where we have a solid receiving core and we have the luxury of waiting for a big potential guy like Thomas to develop while he fills a big niche role for us (deep threat and redzone target).

How about we need to draft a safety because Ed Reed could retire or keel over at any minute. We have the opportunity to draft someone with unbelievable raw ability like Mays and have him learn from Ed for a year or two. We DON'T need a WR right now, and I honestly think Mays could step in now for Landry and play SS, then learn from Ed and be ready to play FS in 2 years.

I'm sorry, Cleet, but the Meachem comparison doesn't fit. Meachem is incredibly fast, and Thomas is slow, bulky, and doesn't run well. There's not much upside to him. He's hardly worth our second rounder, let alone the first.

I've seen him compared to Michael Clayton, and I think that's the best of them. He's a terrible route runner, he lacks field presence and catching ability, but he's great in a run-first offense. I don't think that's nearly worth a first round draft pick.

I agree in full that, were one available, a top receiver looking to be groomed and fit into our system would be a fantastic pick, but there is not one in this draft.

How about we need to draft a safety because Ed Reed could retire or keel over at any minute. We have the opportunity to draft someone with unbelievable raw ability like Mays and have him learn from Ed for a year or two. We DON'T need a WR right now, and I honestly think Mays could step in now for Landry and play SS, then learn from Ed and be ready to play FS in 2 years.

It depends how much Ozzie likes Taylor Mays. Ozzie is not the type to fall for a workout warrior. Now, if Earl Thomas out of Texas (who I hear Ozzie is really high on) falls anywhere near us, I could definitely see Ozzie making a move. There is a pretty big dropoff from Thomas to Mays though.

I'm sorry, Cleet, but the Meachem comparison doesn't fit. Meachem is incredibly fast, and Thomas is slow, bulky, and doesn't run well. There's not much upside to him. He's hardly worth our second rounder, let alone the first.

I've seen him compared to Michael Clayton, and I think that's the best of them. He's a terrible route runner, he lacks field presence and catching ability, but he's great in a run-first offense. I don't think that's nearly worth a first round draft pick.

I agree in full that, were one available, a top receiver looking to be groomed and fit into our system would be a fantastic pick, but there is not one in this draft.

Thomas is slow? I do not agree with you there. Thomas was supposedly running in the late 4.3s before hurting his foot. He is not sudden or explosive off the line, but he is a long strider who has a second gear when getting downfield. I am not sure where you are getting this impression that he doesn't run well (

fast forward to 3:18) or have field presence. He consistently attacks the ball at its highest point and is very aggressive is going up to get the ball over defenders. He tracks the deep ball very well. He is actually at his best using the sideline to help him make the catch downfield. He has very strong, natural catching hands. His problem is that he loses focus on the easier catches, which is definitely something to be concerned about.

Meachem ran a 4.37 out of college, similar speed. Now, I have seen Meachem play a lot the past two years and let me give you my impressions. Meachem is listed at 6'2" 210 pounds. After getting drafted by the Saints he came into camp at around 230 pounds, and his work ethic was obviously questioned. Meachem is not a naturally lean guy, he has that bulky frame as well. His rookie year was a essentially a mulligan as he learned what it took to play in the NFL. Now, from what I hear Thomas is a very hard worker and a intelligent individual (he got a 34 on the Wonderlic). It will be interesting to see what kind of shape he is in at his pro day after breaking his foot.

I am not sure about the Michael Clayton comparison, Clayton was touted as a slow guy, but a polished receiver who had strong hands and was a solid route runner. A better worse-case scenerio for Thomas I see is former-Jag Reggie Williams. But the realistic upside is definitely a Robert Meachem, with an slim, absolute best case scenerio a TO or Calvin Johnson to a lesser extent. #1 receiver potential is certainly there, IMO.

BTW, compare these two Scouts, Inc. scouting reports on Thomas and Meachem (coming out of college):

Meachem:

Strengths

Possesses very good size and above average speed for a bigger receiver. His initial burst is impressive and he shows the consistent ability to drive defensive backs off the line of scrimmage. He possesses long arms and big hands. Knows how to use his body to shield defenders. Can pluck on the run, gets up-field extremely quickly for his size and also shows the ability to consistently make the first defender miss. He is a strong runner that will break attempted arm tackles versus smaller DB's in the open field.

Weaknesses

Still can improve his consistency as a route runner. Has a tendency to round off some of his routes and isn't always as crisp as he should be getting in and out of his breaks. He seems to have some problems reading coverage; he will occasionally fail to find soft spots in zone and he doesn't always seem to be on the same page with his quarterback on option routes. He seems to struggle locating the ball occasionally on deep throws and will mis-time some of his leaps. Also needs to become more physical; he seems to fear going over the middle and will drop some catchable passes when he hears footsteps. Gives a good effort as a blocker but needs to improve his technique. Needs to play with more leverage and learn to sustain down-field blocks more effectively. Knee injury in 2003 is somewhat concerning but he has been healthy since.

Overall

Meachem underwent knee surgery in August 2003 leading to a medical redshirt season. In 2004 he returned to play in all 13 games (zero starts) and led the team with 459 yards on 25 catches (18.4 average) and four touchdowns. Meachem appeared in all 11 games in 2005, with two starts, and again led the team in receiving yards with 383 on 29 catches (13.2 average) and two touchdowns. In 2006 he started all 13 games and finished with 71 catches for 1,298 yards (18.3 average) and 11 touchdowns earning him a consensus All-American selection.

Meachem could have used another season of experience at the collegiate level. He is a bit of an inconsistent route runner and he has a tendency to lose focus as a pass-catcher. Despite his size and strength, he is not an overly physical receiver and it's obvious he prefers working the sideline to going over the middle. However, his combination of size, speed and athletic ability is outstanding. His biggest asset as a pro-prospect is playmaking ability, especially in terms of creating after the catch. He seemed to mature a great deal during his breakout junior season, so there's promise of Meachem continuing to improve at the next level. In our opinion, Meachem grades out as a second-round value but he is expected to come off the board late in the first round due to high NFL ceiling.

Thomas

Separation Skills 2

Can't teach his combination of size, speed and leaping ability as a vertical route runner. He is a one-on-one mismatch waiting to happen on the perimeter. He could become a much more reliable threat if he learns to run precise routes, as he's very much underdeveloped in that regard. Takes too long getting in and out of breaks. Lacks experience and savvy as an intermediate route runner. Will need technique work in beating press-coverage.

Ball Skills 2

Makes a lot of acrobatic catches. Flashes excellent hand-eye coordination and ability to pluck away from his frame (see: comeback route in second quarter versus Miami in 2009). Can elevate and high-point the ball. At his best finding the ball over his shoulder and going up for jump ball. Drops some 'catchable' passes due to lack of focus. Lets the ball get into his body on occasion, especially on quick slants, crossing routes, etc.

Vertical Speed 1

Straight-line speed player. Glides down the field and eats up cushion in a hurry. At his best working vertical sideline routes. Lacks elite initial burst but has deceptive speed for his size and can consistently get over the top of man-to-man coverage. Uses size and leaping ability to make plays in the vertical passing game.

Run After Catch 3

Big, strong runner after catch. Does a nice job with the stiff arm and will break attempted arm tackles. Is shiftier than frame would indicate and shows good vision in the open field as a runner, but he's not very sudden and he doesn't always make the first defender miss. Lacks ideal initial burst and needs a crease in order to be effective after the catch.

Competitiveness/Toughness 3

Great competitor when the ball is in the air or in his hands. Does an excellent job of using his body to shield defenders and will fight hard for extra yards after the catch. However, it's alarming how poor of a run blocker he is for his size. His angles are atrocious at times and he looks lost far too often. Also needs to prove he's willing and tough enough to consistently work the middle of the field as an intermediate route runner.

Trait Scale

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Both guys were rated a 92 overall by Scouts, Inc. Scouts, Inc. had Meachem rated as the twentieth best player in the draft, and have Thomas rated as the twenty-first best player in this draft. I italicized the similarities between the two receivers, and it is very noticable how similar these two guys are. Meachem is has a better initial burst off of the line, but Thomas is better at tracking and going up for the deep ball of the two. Both guys are/were raw route runner who have/had focus problems when catching the ball.

Why are you so big on Mays? He is a big time liability in pass coverage and could no way ever replace Ed Reed. At best, he would be a Landry replacement. The only safeties that I'd take would be Eric Berry (long gone by our pick) and Earl Thomas who has the potential to also be a CB. Thomas would be a great pick for us, but I think he too will be gone by the time we are on the clock. If Oz were to draft Mays I would be so angry!

And we DO need a WR! We talked about this before...the only WR we have under contract for after this year are Boldin and Mason and maybe Marcus Smith. Mason has even said he could be one and done! If we have the chance to draft a WR who also represents BPA then it is a definite possibility and smart to consider it. Let's face it...Mark Clayton isn't the answer and neither is D. Williams. Mason is one to two years, at best! So why is WR not a need?

Get an elite WR if you can and let him come in to be a #3/4 WR learn behind two solid vets for a year in a low pressure situation and let him tear it up in year 2 when he is starting opposite Boldin.

So you agree that Ozzie didn't want to draft Kyle Boller?

I've heard that Brian Billick is a pretty persuasive guy :D Anyways, I think it is pretty obvious Ozzie learned his lesson on that one. He even went as far as saying he "messed up" by not drafting Boldin because of poor workout numbers. This is where I believe Ozzie has progressed as a GM, he knows how to find football players.

I've heard that Brian Billick is a pretty persuasive guy :D Anyways, I think it is pretty obvious Ozzie learned his lesson on that one. He even went as far as saying he "messed up" by not drafting Boldin because of poor workout numbers. This is where I believe Ozzie has progressed as a GM, he knows how to find football players.

Yeah, well, in that same draft we took a guy who had a terrible pro day (Suggs) before we came back up for Boller. And we would have sprang on Leftwich if Jacksonville didn't, and he was a guy who had tremendous production in his career. So no matter what, we were losing out in that one. And Suggs still hasn't lived up to his potential (solid-but-inconsistent so far)

Why are you so big on Mays? He is a big time liability in pass coverage and could no way ever replace Ed Reed. At best, he would be a Landry replacement. The only safeties that I'd take would be Eric Berry (long gone by our pick) and Earl Thomas who has the potential to also be a CB. Thomas would be a great pick for us, but I think he too will be gone by the time we are on the clock. If Oz were to draft Mays I would be so angry!

And we DO need a WR! We talked about this before...the only WR we have under contract for after this year are Boldin and Mason and maybe Marcus Smith. Mason has even said he could be one and done! If we have the chance to draft a WR who also represents BPA then it is a definite possibility and smart to consider it. Let's face it...Mark Clayton isn't the answer and neither is D. Williams. Mason is one to two years, at best! So why is WR not a need?

Get an elite WR if you can and let him come in to be a #3/4 WR learn behind two solid vets for a year in a low pressure situation and let him tear it up in year 2 when he is starting opposite Boldin.

I'm not 'big' on Mays. I'm just not sold whatsoever by Thomas nor any of the other WR's in this draft. I've watched a ton of highlights and I don't see anything that makes Thomas (or Benn) a legitimate threat in the NFL. Add to that that we really don't need a WR anymore and will struggle to get enough touches for everyone in our offense AS-IS, and it's clear to me that WR is not the way to go. Then looking at our pass defense struggles, I see a guy like Mays who not only intimidates with his hitting ability, but also FLASHES the ability to make big plays in the Pass game. Hmm, who does that remind you of? I know the guy isn't polished right now, but, I think if you put him on this team right now he can potentially start at SS, and at least would be a good sub package player with the ability to wreck havoc on Special Teams and specialized defensive formations. I believe with Ed's tutelage that Taylor Mays could be an All-Pro safety in a few years, and at worst would be an average starting SS. I don't see that potential upside out of anyone else (sans Terrance Cody) that will be available at our pick.

I'm not 'big' on Mays. I'm just not sold whatsoever by Thomas nor any of the other WR's in this draft. I've watched a ton of highlights and I don't see anything that makes Thomas (or Benn) a legitimate threat in the NFL. Add to that that we really don't need a WR anymore and will struggle to get enough touches for everyone in our offense AS-IS, and it's clear to me that WR is not the way to go. Then looking at our pass defense struggles, I see a guy like Mays who not only intimidates with his hitting ability, but also FLASHES the ability to make big plays in the Pass game. Hmm, who does that remind you of? I know the guy isn't polished right now, but, I think if you put him on this team right now he can potentially start at SS, and at least would be a good sub package player with the ability to wreck havoc on Special Teams and specialized defensive formations. I believe with Ed's tutelage that Taylor Mays could be an All-Pro safety in a few years, and at worst would be an average starting SS. I don't see that potential upside out of anyone else (sans Terrance Cody) that will be available at our pick.

If WR isn't a need in your opinion than neither should safety since we have 4 on the roster!

You don't draft for 1 year...you draft for building your teams for the next 3-5 years. Like I said WR is a major need after this season and it would be ignorant to deny that. If we were to draft a position other than WR in the 1st it definitely shouldn't be safety...give me Jared Odrick or BPA at CB (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourtey, or Kareem Jackson) or Jermaine Gresham if the Bengals are moronic and pass him up.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome stuck by his “best player available” mantra during Tuesday’s pre-draft press conference, saying he would take a wide receiver at No. 25 if that’s the top player.

But while that may not mean a whole lot on the surface, Newsome did provide some extra insight that might make one think the Ravens are seriously considering it.

“You also have to look at not only this year but next year and two years from now what your team will look like at each position,” Newsome said.

“We not only are just trying to build it for September, but you’re also trying to build it for the future. So wide receiver is still an important position for us as we get into this draft when you look at our roster and what could potentially happen to it over the next two or three years.”

A glimpse at the Ravens’ added weapons suggests that there is plenty of depth heading into 2010, but uncertainty beyond.

Derrick Mason is 36, has twice declared his retirement and is now playing with a two-year contract. Donte’ Stallworth is playing on a one-year deal and Mark Clayton is still a restricted free agent. The one certainty the Ravens do have is Anquan Boldin, who inked a four-year deal as soon as he came to Baltimore.

Thus, as ESPN analyst Mel Kiper opined last week, the Ravens could be looking to add an immediate deep threat while also grooming somebody to take over down the road (such as Georgia Tech’s Demaryius Thomas).

Sure this is from the pre-draft presser where a lot of posturing takes place, but there is some definite truth behind it and it validates what I have been saying...