ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

NHL Playoffs

millz58

Well, the Caps are the #1 seed in the east, and are facing the Canadians. By all rights, this should be at longest a 5-game series, given the offensive dominance the Caps have put up, and that the Habs just don't score much (e.g. WAS's goals-per-game is 3.87 which is 1/2 a goal per game higher than anyone, while MTL's 2.56 goals per game is slightly under the Caps' 2.77 goals-against average.)

Also, the Pens are in a very familiar #4 seed, and face the #5 senators in the first round (as they did during their '07-'08 Stanley Cup finals run). Could the Pens and Caps meet up again this year in the playoffs, as they did last year? Would be another great installment of Caps/Pens playoffs, if the Caps could actually win one. I'm a Pens fan, but wouldn't mind seeing the Caps actually go deeper into the playoffs, given their scoring skills and need to make a mark in this newer generation of playoff-caliber teams as they are, along with Pens, 'Hawks, etc.

I haven't watched enough hockey to really make confident predictions, but I think Chicago, San Jose, Washington and NJ really represent well as the 1 and 2 seeds. However Pittsburgh, Phoenix and Buffalo will definitely make marks IMO.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL as a Habs fan I am glad they made it into the playoffs but was hoping they would hold onto the 6th or 7th spot. Though I admit I would rather face the Capitals than the Devils, Marty kills the Canadiens. Plus a Jacques Martin coached team vs a Lemaire coached team would be as exciting as watching paint dry.

Not that I think they Habs have a reasonable chance of winning against the Capitals, I don't.

LOL as a Habs fan I am glad they made it into the playoffs but was hoping they would hold onto the 6th or 7th spot. Though I admit I would rather face the Capitals than the Devils, Marty kills the Canadiens. Plus a Jacques Martin coached team vs a Lemaire coached team would be as exciting as watching paint dry.

Not that I think they Habs have a reasonable chance of winning against the Capitals, I don't.

Spen, I would have hoped the Rangers beat the Flyers in OT if to have the Habs play the Devils, they'd have a better chance even against Brodeur & co. than this year's Caps. Washington is just to big all around and to crazy on offense to be handled by a Montreal team that many wondered early on how they would compete with Toronto's goon squad (Brian Burke going for rough & tumble and size, as he does I guess.) Any way I hope Halak plays well, he was great during the Olympics, and even Price is a good backup. Hard to root against Theodore, with as much as he's been through especially going back to last year's early PO exit, and Varlamov getting the playoff cred from there, and then Jose losing his son...

I will have my heart out for the Habs, but I just don't see it Habening (ugh)

Spen, I would have hoped the Rangers beat the Flyers in OT if to have the Habs play the Devils, they'd have a better chance even against Brodeur & co. than this year's Caps. Washington is just to big all around and to crazy on offense to be handled by a Montreal team that many wondered early on how they would compete with Toronto's goon squad (Brian Burke going for rough & tumble and size, as he does I guess.) Any way I hope Halak plays well, he was great during the Olympics, and even Price is a good backup. Hard to root against Theodore, with as much as he's been through especially going back to last year's early PO exit, and Varlamov getting the playoff cred from there, and then Jose losing his son...

I will have my heart out for the Habs, but I just don't see it Habening (ugh)

I do think the Capitals are better than the Devils, I just think the Habs have a better shot against the Capitals. If that makes sense. :)

Even in off years Brodeur kills his home town Habs. And the Habs always seem to have trouble playing against a system team like the Devils.

The Capitals are more of an aggressive speed team and the Habs seem to fare better against those types. Even if they dont I feel it will be an entertaining series. The Habs played a few stretches of hockey this season where they have been very competitive against everyone. The Habs also split the series with the Capitals this season with two games going to OT. Of course at times they played so poorly that they could be beat by anyone too.

I like the Capitals, and hope they go far once past the Habs, but I have questions about their goal tending and defensive play. I really think they need to at least get to the conference finals for this to be viewed as a successful season.

Its weird in a way, a number of the better teams in the NHL have what some view as shaky goal tending. The Capitals, Black Hawks, and even the Penguins lately do not seem as strong in goal as some would like.

Spen, you're right on about the lacking or suspect or unproven goaltending, I think surely with Caps/Habs there is much to look at there. One thing I have heard consistently the last couple days is how the Caps have "played down to their competition", I don't know how true that is, but if it is, and taking into account there ultra-aggro and show-boating tendencies, they could be challenged by the Canadiens who are better truly than their #8 ranking.

I am much less confident with the Pens this year, Fluery and his backup Johnson both don't look as good, but they still are in their #4 spot and Crosby seems to be ratcheting it up a bit, so I like their chances against the Senators.

I'm really geeked about the Buffalo/Boston series, tough defense, who's gonna score? Really?? ... But my FAVORITE UPCOMING SERIES IS PHILLY V. NEW JERSEY WHOLLY CRAP THIS ONE'S GONNA BE GREAT

btw... entry draft...lottery selections...

5. Islanders

4. Blue Jackets

3. Panthers

2. Bruins

1. Oilers

...sorry, distraction... but hey looking forward to it

As far as the really "unproven" goaltenders go, you have Roberto Luongo (Vancouver) who, despite his olympic and general success, still has yet to climb the NHL playoff mountain and thus gets much doubt from fans/media; also Jose Theodore (Caps) has some work to do to keep the Caps out of shootouts and generally represent between the pipes in the playoffs. Brodeur has had his share of detractors these last few playoff seasons, and he's proven them right; so, he needs to ramp it up to get NJ past a resurgent Philly team and goalie Boucher (who gets little respect.) Goaltending will be the key to the first round, to be highlighted by the Boston-Buffalo match (which have on both sides probably the best 1-2 goalie combos in the league, so who's gonna score, eh?) and hey, I haven't really spoken to the west, of which I know little...

Yay! They start tomorrow!

Yay! They've Started! Go PENS!

Update (Pd. 1 4:00) Pens 1, Sens 2: Wow Ottawa's really bringing it, not that I doubted they would, but it's cool!

Update (End Pd.1) Pens 1, Sens 2: Ottawa's playing tough but also well, getting puck to net, taking advantage of every opportunity; Marc-Andre Fluery (MAF) looks kinda out of it, not moving quickly, seems to be behind the play somewhat.

Stats: shots OTT 11, PIT 4; Hits OTT 14, PIT 17

Update: (Pd. 2 9:30) Pens 2, Sens 3: Wow, Malkin's 2nd PP goal closes gap after Sens get #3 by Kelley on PP extended from end of Pd. 1 This game is pretty good so far!

WOW, MAF is definitely not tracking the puck, another PP goal for OTT at 6:45 PD. 2, Sens 4 Pens 2.

also, Ottawa's doing a good and physical job of keeping Crosby in check, if not for Malkin this would be a blowout at this point! Definitely not cool at the Igloo...

Update: (3rd Pd. 14:33) Sens 4, Pens 3: Holy **** what a backhand by Adams! Pens needed that was crucial, Pens starting to battle back for neutral-zone control, as OTT to this point has really dictated with their defense.

Update: (3rd Pd. 10:20) Sens 5, Pens 3: Former pen Ruutu gets a great feed on a 2-on-2 rush and scores 5-hole, nice (for them), looks like pens are gonna need a lot in a little time to pull this one out

Update: (3rd Pd. 2:24) Sens 5, Pens 4: Wow, Gogligoski gets a great pass from behind the net and scores, Pens still alive

Final: Ottawa 5, Pittsburgh 4. Great game by the Senators, great defense particularly in bottling up Crosby, and plenty of offense to keep Pittsburgh more defensive-minded than they normally like to be. Ottawa just seemed to control physically and in terms of pace and space. Pens definitely came out flat, especially with Fleury not being focused; they should wake up for game 2 on Friday I imagine (hope?). this is what I get for totally dissin' OTT in my initial post, trying to go straight to Pens/Caps which wouldn't be until the East finals anyway...

Meanwhile Philly is nursing a 2-0 lead over the Devils mid-way through the 3rd pd.

Can't wait to see game 1 of Detroit and Phoenix!

Good game, the Sens got lucky on the Kelly goal.

Luck is where opportunity meets preparation? I guess that's true here, the Senators definitely executed a game plan very well, and so some 'chancey' goals will come, but they also had 4 others that were not so flukey. I think the next game will show how much Bylsma has learned about coaching, to see if he can rally the troops. That's not dismissing the fact that the Pens had to battle back from series deficits last year, I just think that this is a new year and his first to have this team as truly "his", so we'll see. I like the fact that Ottawa came prepared and aggressive, they've typically played Pittsburgh well the last few years (unlike Philly or the NY teams).

Meanwhile Philly is nursing a 2-0 lead over the Devils mid-way through the 3rd pd.

Well, the Flyers would outlast NJ 2-1, and Boucher did "out-play" Brodeur in goal and disprove alot of 'experts' who said he probably couldn't do that, but also some of those same said Brodeur's recent playoff difficulties would continue, and basically he looked pedestrian in comparison to most people's (my) expectations of the standout goalie. anyway this is a great rivalry in general to I expect this to be a close series, at least 6 games.

edit: I know quoting myself is in bad taste, but there aren't many others here to quote...

So Millz, how is your sleep level going to be the next few weeks? Come playoff time I dont get as much as I normally do. Luckily I dont have to be at work that early.

i'm gonna have a lot of late nights, but I had some practice with the NCAA tournament. Hopefully the stanley cup playoffs will be the necessary training for the World Cup this summer, those will be some really tough nights with the S. African time difference.

edit: Wow, MTL takes game 1 from the Caps, 3-2 in OT! great energy, speed and defense by the Habs, Spen I know you're loving this one. What a great job they did bottling up Ovie (maybe they took a page from the Sens' efforts against Crosby?), and their physicality matched Washington's 'biggerness' as they routinely made solid plays in the defensive and neutral zones to thwart Caps rushes. Nice road playoff win!

I am not amazed the Habs won, but I did think they would have to play better than they did. Neither team was great nor bad IMO; that made for a very entertaining game! Like you posted it was a good road playoff win.

Nice bounce-back by the Pens, MAF had to rub the sleep out of his eyes but showed well overall, Crosby was stupid-all-over-the-place-showing why he is one of the elite players in the game, even when Malkin, Staal, others weren't getting alot done. Like NJ bouncing back, and hey the Predators really handled the 'Hawks, but both of those series are going to go a fair ways. The 2nd period of Phoenix/Detroit is insane, what could a 2-0 start to that series mean for the Coyotes? There have been no blowouts in this NHL playoffs so far, and I believe no "real" multi-goal margins (excepting empty-netters). Pretty cool, and a number of unexpected results.

Detroit is still great if aging, Zetterberg was the man as he has been so many times, and the Wings prevailed to even the series vs. the Coyotes. Detroit always seems to have the right answers in the playoffs.

WOW, both Boston and Washington came back from serious defecits to even their respective series at 1-1 before switching venues... .

I really credit (and am a bit surprised at) Montreal for how they have handled the Caps these first two games defensively and using their speed, Washington didn't even wake up in this series until 2nd period of tonight's game. But now it seems Backstrom, Ovie and co. are in business. BUT: Who starts in goal for Washington? That was a quick pull of Theodore tonight, even though he really didn't look good, but he didn't look worse than say Fleury in the Pen's game 1 v. Ottawa (or game 2 for that matter). I guess Coach Bruce wanted to really shake things up, and it seemed to work, but still, was Varlamov good enough to merit starting on Monday night? I'd say not, but how would it look waffling and having Theodore come back humbled? Caps are going to need strong defense and a confident goalie; I think Varlamov was plenty confident really, but still got shredded.

Waiting to watch Game 2 of LA/Vancouver!!!

Crosby was awesome last night.

The 'Wings-Coyotes series is a lot of fun. That second period was crazy.

That crazy dipsy-doo Crosby did behind the net with Spezza trailing will certainly get lotsa video, but it really was amazing; he's beginning to ramp up his game at the right time. That kid Abdelkader for Detroit is wacko, he basically shows up in the playoffs and does great stuff (like he did last year against the penguins) but I guess is not used much during the regular season? Weird. Also Zetterberg getting the hat-trick and hats-on-ice on the road was cool. Backstrom was great tonight for the Caps.