ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Like Lewis at safety

vmax

I think the Ravens are getting somewhere with this problem position...

The Ravens signed safety Kendrick Lewis in part because of his experience as a five-year starter.

But they also brought him in because they think Lewis still has room to grow.

Head Coach John Harbaugh was asked for his scouting report on the new Baltimore safety.

“He’s a good, smart player, and I think his best football is in front of him,” Harbaugh said at the NFL Owners Meetings in Phoenix.

Safety is one position that is difficult to learn at the NFL level, where defensive and offensive systems are complex and there’s a lot of thought and communication required on the back end.

Lewis brings needed know-how to the position.

“Kendrick Lewis is a veteran safety,” Harbaugh said. “The first thing I noticed about him is he knows how to play the position. He’s in position, he’s got good eyes, he’s got really good range, he’s a good tackler.”http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/John-Harbaugh-Kendrick-Lewis-Best-Football-is-Ahead/8d57d7ef-19b7-4552-b46c-d2173d88e194

Communication and tackling has been horrible from that position the last 2 years.

Hopefully those days are gone.

rc-ravens-steelers113.jpg

Yeah, I feel good about Lewis too. It's possible our safety positions are at least average and probably a bit better than that.

If only Elam could get his act together.

The starters at cornerback (Smith and Webb) and at safety (Hill and Lewis) are looking solid. Is it actually possible we've solved our secondary problems? We ought to be able to find a nickel back in the draft in rounds 3 or 4.