ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ben Suspension

cravnravn

Dang! It's official. Six games!

NEW YORK (AP) -Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was suspended for six games without pay Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and ordered to undergo behavioral evaluation. Commissioner Roger Goodell made the announcement a week after prosecutors decided not to charge Roethlisberger after a 20-year-old college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March. Goodell said the league's conduct policy gave him the right to impose discipline.

"I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you," he said in his letter to the two-time Super Bowl winner, a six-year veteran. "My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans."

Roethlisberger must undergo a "comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals" and may not attend any team offseason activities until that evaluation is completed. The suspension could be reduced to four games for good behavior. Sitting out all six games would cost him an estimated $2.8 million.

http://sports.iwon.com/news/04212010/v4157.html

Guest BallTMore

Pretty awesome. I hope they trade him too.

I doubt he'll serve all six games. It will be knocked down to 4. Still, no Ben, no Holmes, when we play the Steelers. *cabbage patch*

Today was a good day to be a Ravens fan in Pittsburgh. People seem to be split here about whether or not they'll trade him but I don't see it happening. In the words of Mike Lombardi, "the Steelers are angry, not stupid."

If they do trade him, i'll be doing cartwheels down these streets.

I don't see him being traded because there are just too many question marks for another team to give up a top pick...Yet, at the same time, Ben means too much to the Steelers for them to trade him away for anything other then a Top 10 pick.

Either way, great for the Ravens.

Solid decision.

I hope the Steelers keep him. Every time he takes the field they will be associated with him...a real shitty image.

As for their "Great Image"...'teams of character'...that '70s team was loaded with steroid abusers.

They never have been squeeky clean.

Wow!...

Any interest in Ben Roethlisberger?

By James Walker

Could you imagine Ben Roethlisberger in a Cleveland Browns uniform?

The Buffalo Bills and San Francisco 49ers need quarterbacks, too. What about them?

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Pittsburgh Steelers have shopped Roethlisberger to all of the above.

For a vast majority of teams, there is too much baggage that comes with acquiring Roethlisberger. For starters, he's about to serve a suspension for up to six games. Second, Roethlisberger is still under contract for the $102 million deal he signed in 2008. And third, he has yet to prove he can stay out of trouble.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/22008/any-interest-in-ben-roethlisberger

The news out here in Arizona is that Ken Whisenhunt is taking a SERIOUS look at him. How they will get a shot at him without a top ten pick remains to be seen.

The news out here in Arizona is that Ken Whisenhunt is taking a SERIOUS look at him. How they will get a shot at him without a top ten pick remains to be seen.

He could use to dry out in that desert air...; he's a creeper.

He could use to dry out in that desert air...; he's a creeper.

I seriously doubt a dry climate is the cure for his affliction. He's too full of himself after winning two Superbowls. A big dose of humility is the best bet for recovery.

I seriously doubt a dry climate is the cure for his affliction. He's too full of himself after winning two Superbowls. A big dose of humility is the best bet for recovery.

I seriously doubt he has an ounce of humility in him, and that particular virtue is impossible to instill in someone with his 'proclivities' (clinton-era word) and successful background. Hopefully he'll get released if not traded, lose a $hitload of money; $screw him where it count$ and maybe he'll $uffer enough to regret, if not change. But don't expect humility.

I seriously doubt he has an ounce of humility in him, and that particular virtue is impossible to instill in someone with his 'proclivities' (clinton-era word) and successful background. Hopefully he'll get released if not traded, lose a $hitload of money; $screw him where it count$ and maybe he'll $uffer enough to regret, if not change. But don't expect humility.

Well I certainly dont expect humility now, or even in the near future. That will only come by landing on a team that doesn't have the means to make him look good.

I can't imagine any team taking him, with the baggage he carries. It could be an early retirement for him, or at least a sabbatical. When you get the Rooney family against you, it's serious. Their reputation is worth enough to have a few bad seasons w/o Roethlisberger. The organization has shown they can rebound with super-bowl caliber teams within 5-7 year spans. They can do it again, be patient and watch the Bengals (maybe even the Ravens) run their course in that span of time. There is no sense in harboring an idiot, or lowering themselves to begging another team to take him.

• 4 months later...

Yea...any coincidence that the Rust Buckets want the suspension reduced to 3 games and the Ravens play them in the 4th game of the season?

I am not worried. I don't see Godell reducing it to more than 4 games. Earlier this summer when Godell was on his camp tour he came to Pittsburgh. He confused some of the local media into thinking Roethlisberger's suspension could be cut down to less than 4 games - the NFL offices promptly came out and made it clear the minimum ben would serve would be 4 games, no less.

Yea...any coincidence that the Rust Buckets want the suspension reduced to 3 games and the Ravens play them in the 4th game of the season?

I am not worried. I don't see Godell reducing it to more than 4 games. Earlier this summer when Godell was on his camp tour he came to Pittsburgh. He confused some of the local media into thinking Roethlisberger's suspension could be cut down to less than 4 games - the NFL offices promptly came out and made it clear the minimum ben would serve would be 4 games, no less.

Regardless of what the office says, I could see "Sherrif" Goodell sucking up to the RustBuckets and reducing it to 3 games.

Think of the headline, "Rothlisberger returns for Ravens game". I wouldnt put it past Goodell.

Sure...be mercifull Goodell like he was when flashing those college girls and forcing himself on them. He became sorry when he was caught and his income threatened.

I tell you what...when Ben asks for it to be reduced to 3 games, Rodger should do what Ben did...put his fingers to his lips and go "Ssshhhh! It's OK. 6 games. It's OK Ben."

Guest BallTMore

Sure...be mercifull Goodell like he was when flashing those college girls and forcing himself on them. He became sorry when he was caught and his income threatened.

I tell you what...when Ben asks for it to be reduced to 3 games, Rodger should do what Ben did...put his fingers to his lips and go "Ssshhhh! It's OK. 6 games. It's OK Ben."

Nice!

I'm pretty confident he'll get his suspension reduced to four games. No less. There would be too much backlash if it was reduced further, in my opinion, and Goodell doesn't want that.

Nice try, Ben. See you in December!