ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Round 1 Thursday Night NFL Draft

vmax

If you have a problem with opinion then stop reading forums because that's what you get! Got it? Good!

It's your tone...you speak like Ozzie is synonomous with Angelos and the Ravens have been crap for years and still haven't done anything. Well the Ravens have put together two playoff runs in the past two seasons under the new regime and it still seems to be going full steam ahead. And the Raven's success has been based on Ozzie and his staff's records at drafting. Your tone makes it sound like we just went to shit because we didn't have a first round pick. Last I checked the teams in the super bowl didn't succeed because of their first round picks and I'm not going to cry "fire" right now because of the results of last night's first round picks ALONE!

So back at you...got it? Good.

And don't forget... there are still several players available who you would have been okay with us taking at #25. When you see what quality of player is available at #70 (our 'free' pick), you'll be whistling a different tune.

I said that I hope I am proved wrong, but I just feel that we let a great opportunity pass us by when we didn't make a move to secure Dez Bryant. IMO, having a young WR with the talent of Bryant to grow alongside Flacco and potentially form a Manning/Wayne type relationship is rare. When you have the opportunity to obtain it, I just don't understand how you don't do it. I still feel like we have one of the best front offices in the biz, but we really shit the bed regarding this particular situation IMO.

There is reason to my madness...despite all the attitude and tone! Sorry for offending anyone! Just frustrated!

Fanatic, you're going to have to explain this "draft value" number thing to me... what is 40 points in draft value? Who assigns points? To players? To pick spots? How does two spots in the first round = 40 points?

It's all psuedo science... something tells me Bryant's going to bust. Clayton was a 1st round pick too, remember? There are goods and bads and lots of in the middle... and numbers can't solve the draft.

IMO, having a young WR with the talent of Bryant to grow alongside Flacco and potentially form a Manning/Wayne type relationship is rare. When you have the opportunity to obtain it, I just don't understand how you don't do it. I still feel like we have one of the best front offices in the biz, but we really shit the bed regarding this particular situation IMO.

You do realize that there are still talented, star WR's available, right? There's no guarantee that Bryant will be a better pro than Benn or Tate, one of whom will probably still be there for us with the #11 pick.

Not to mention Shipley, Gilyard, LaFell, Briscoe, D. Williams, E. Decker... and then Mitchell from USF, Roberts from Citadel, Riley Cooper from UF, Jacoby Ford, Price from Ohio...

There's a ton of WR depth in this draft. Forget "getting Boldin for free"... we could take 3 guys from the above list just for the picks we got for trading down, and that's not even including the 5th rounder we would have given up to grab Bryant. So would you rather have 4 of those receivers, or one Dez Bryant? (I'm just offering a value-comparison...in no way am I suggesting we will take multiple receivers with our picks)

Well Dallas jumped up from #27 to #24...so the difference in points between those two picks was 60 so they had to give a little more to move up than we would of had to by moving from #25 to #23 since that is only a 40 point difference in value.

Common draft pick point values are less applicable this year than usual. Picks this year are worth a lot more, and picks next year are in flux (rookie salary cap is good, but possible lockout is very, very bad). They just aren't working like they used to. Why do you think all those trades were so valuable and rich for the teams (including us) that got out of their spots when on the clock? It's just working differently this year.

And I absolutely agree that you're entitled to your opinion. We're just also allowed to disagree with it!

As well, I agree with Spear. I'm with him especially because there's no telling whatsoever how good Bryant will be. Even last season, Michael Crabtree was a better prospect coming out, and he didn't sit out almost an entire season.

I'd be excited about a lot of players. Gronkowski is probably target #1 (I think he might be as good as Gresham), but guys like Benn, Tate (though I hope not), Cody, Dunlap, Kindle, etc. would all be huge pickups considering that we got out of the first round entirely. There's still time for this draft to be a fantastic one for the Ravens.

What I don't get about fanatic's reasoning is who is to say that the Packers would have traded down 2 spots for a 5th rounder? I'm pretty sure they were doing cartwheels around their war room after Bulaga fell to their pick.

When you see what the Cowboys traded to move up ahead of us we just didn't have the amunition to compete with that.

Common draft pick point values are less applicable this year than usual. Picks this year are worth a lot more, and picks next year are in flux (rookie salary cap is good, but possible lockout is very, very bad). They just aren't working like they used to. Why do you think all those trades were so valuable and rich for the teams (including us) that got out of their spots when on the clock? It's just working differently this year.

To take this point one step further, the draft-value chart hasn't worked for the past 10 years. Jimmy Johnson invented it back when nobody had any idea what type of value to assign to picks, and guys like Belichick, Pioli, Ozzie, and other top GM's have been taking advantage of teams that use that chart ever since.

As well, I agree with Spear.

Wait, you what? ...

After time to cool down it's hard to criticize the trade.

Traded down 18 spots from #25 to #43

Traded up 18 spots in 3rd from #88 to #70

Traded up 9 spots in 4th from #123 to # 114

Added 5th round pick (#157)

So we basically got Boldin for free.

Exactly...in fact (when you do all the math) he only cost the Ravens the value (Draft Value Chart) of the 1st pick in the 4th round.