Conference:Pac 10

View Combine Page >>

Choose Tight Ends Gresham, Jermaine 40 Yd Dash

4.67 secsBench Press

23.0 repsVertical Jump

34.0 inchesBroad Jump

115.0 inches

OVERVIEWANALYSISWATCHOverview

Dickson is an excellent receiving tight end that will give effort as a blocker but lacks the top size and bulk to be a dominating blocker at this level. He is quick on his release and shows a burst coming out of his breaks to separate from defenders. He has the downfield speed to stretch the middle of the field when running seam routes. He can show a tendency to short-arm some passes when going over the middle and in traffic. He has the speed and open field running skills to get a lot of yards after the catch.

Here's more...

2009 — Oregon's second-leading receiver continued to be a mainstay in an offensive arsenal that led the Pac-10 in scoring offense and ranked second in total offense, looming as the Ducks' lone representative on the league's first-team all-conference contingent … Caught five passes for 63 yards at Arizona, including an 8-yard scoring catch with six seconds remaining in regulation in the double-overtime win, before being held without a reception vs. Oregon State for the first time in 15 games … One of eight standouts selected as semi-finalists for the 2009 John Mackey Award, given to the most outstanding collegiate tight end in the country … After accumulating four receptions for 58 yards in his first three games of the year (including 2 for 19 yards at Boise State), tied a school record for most catches by a tight end in a single game with 11 vs. California … His 148 receiving yards marked the team's best receiving output by one player in a single game in almost three years, and has been surpassed by only three tight ends in school history … Converted three of his catches vs. the Bears into touchdowns, matching his scoring totals from each of his past two seasons … Was rewarded as the week's Walter Camp Football Foundation's national offensive player of the week for his effort, which included scoring grabs of 26 and 36 yards, as well as the Pac-10's offensive player of the week … Responded to that performance by catching seven passes for 103 yards and one TD the following week vs. Washington State … Provided supreme effort by twisting for a 9-yard touchdown reception vs. Arizona State … Career receptions (124) pushed him over the top for most catches ever by an Oregon tight end, while his 1,557 receiving also is unsurpassed for a player at his position … Accumulating 42 catches for 551 yards and six touchdowns this year, ranks 15th in the Pac-10 in both receiving yards (45.9 avg.) and receptions (3.5 avg.).

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=175551

The Good: Terrific pass-catching tight end who displays the ability to get downfield and make the reception. Runs well for a tight end, consistently gets into the secondary and natural catching the ball. Easily adjust to the errant throw, plays with good balance and makes the reception away from his frame. Gets up between defenders, displays good eye/hand coordination and uses his size as an advantage. Runs solid routes, displaying above-average quickness into breaks and then staying low on exit. Blocks with solid fundamentals and works hard until the whistle blows.

The Bad: Marginally strong at the point of attack and struggles handling opposing linebackers. Must improve his blocking balance.

The Verdict: Dickson has been a consistent player the past three seasons and the tight end who offers a nice degree of upside potential. He would be best in an offense that puts him in motion and makes pass catching his number one priority.

Overview

Dickson has played defensive end, wide receiver and was a key contributor on special teams before breaking out as a tight end in 2008. Dickson averaged 14.5 yards per reception as a junior, earning second-team all-Pac-10 accolades. He improved to first-team honors as a senior, catching 42 passes for 551 yards and six scores.

Dixon leaves as Oregon's all-time receiving leader at the position with 124 catches for 1,557 yards and 12 scores.

He possesses the hands and speed of a receiver with a solid 6-5, 240-pound frame. Dickson won't provide his future NFL team with much as a blocker, but should fit right in with the new emphasis clubs are placing on matchup nightmares who can stretch defenses down the seam.

Analysis

Release: Good initial quickness at the snap. Shows athleticism and is developing the technique to gain a free release off the line and get into his route quickly. Flashes good agility and a strong stiff-arm to work free at the line of scrimmage, but needs to be more consistent in this area as he is too often slowed to the point where his quarterback skips Dickson in his read progression.

Hands: Good hands and can turn and pluck the ball out of the air quickly and outside of his frame. Good underneath target that can make the grab in traffic. Can take a hit and keep the ball secure.

Route running: Good straight-line speed to challenge the seam. Good agility and balance to gain separation as a route-runner. Athletic upside in this area, but isn't asked to run many pro-style routes in this offense and will need refinement at the next level. Too often gets lazy and rounds off his routes.

After the catch: Good run-after-catch ability. Can elude defenders in space and accelerates quickly for the position. Flashes some elusiveness due to lateral quickness and has the straight-line speed to gain yardage in chunks if allowed into the open field.

Blocking: Shows nice initial pop at the line of scrimmage, but needs to develop more strength and better use of hands/leverage to sustain. Takes poor angles as a run blocker at the line and delivers mostly glancing blows downfield.

Intangibles: Versatile athlete has been a significant contributor on special teams. One of the strongest tight ends in Oregon history. Only the second tight end at the school to bench press 400 pounds, he also tied for the second all-time power clean mark for the position (341).

Edited by vmax

I think it's been great.

Scott Garceau did an analysis of the Bouldin trade and the picks we picked up by moving out of the 1st round. He used the draft pick value chart, did the math on each pick by adding and subtracting the points assigned to each pick involved... and...in essence the Ravens got Bouldin for the value of the first pick in the 4th round. That's all he cost.

That's how good Ozzies moves are.

yodoz2%20copy.jpg

I love Kendel and Cody...believe me...the pass rush will improve because the interior of opponents offensive lines can't account for the force in the middle comming at them. Cody can occupy 2 which leaves Ngata chipping the gaps and sholders...not to mention what they will bring from the edges.

Nobody will run on this D.

I'm warming up to Dickson...he's a football player...he can play offense, defense, special teams...in essence he's more of a big target pass catcher than a TE.

From PFW...

11 (43) Baltimore (from Miami through Denver): OLB Sergio Kindle, Texas

GM Ozzie Newsome is one of the best in the NFL at recognizing value, especially as it relates to trusting his doctors, and if Kindle stays healthy, he could be a double-digit sack producer in the mold of Peter Boulware. Kindle is a first-round talent who slid out of the first round largely because of concerns about his knee, intelligence and character — three red flags. But the Ravens know how to keep the game simple and have a track record of hitting on pass rushers. Kindle could be the next if he stays healthy. He is tough, physical and explosive and is well suited for the rush LB position.

From SI..

The Ravens are thrilled to get a player many thought was the most explosive pass rusher in the draft. Kindle fell this far because of concerns about his knee but if he is able to stay healthy, the Ravens will have gotten a steal. Kindle could play opposite Terrell Suggs for the next four years.

Kelly Gregg is not going to be able to play forever, so the Ravens knew they had to come out of this draft with a run-stuffing, two-gapping nose tackle. They got exactly that in the mammoth Cody, an early down run defender who will fill a very specific role for a Baltimore team that likes to give players specialized roles.

Here's a short version of the Ravens Day 2 press conference...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/media_library/Videos/2010/04/Presser_DeCosta__We_got_guys_we_wouldnt_want_to_play_against.aspx

The Sun staff is leary...

Early thoughts on the Ravens' selection of Sergio Kindle with their first pick:

Mike Preston: Is Ozzie Newsome sleeping at the wheel? The Ravens should have made a move for Arizona tight end Rob Gronkowski like the Patriots did at No. 42 in the second round. Instead, the Ravens settled with Texas LB Sergio Kindle, and there are questions about his knee and character.

Peter Schmuck: The Ravens shrugged off concerns about Sergio Kindle's dicey knee and sketchy reputation to add him to their linebacker corps. Nice touch, having all-time linebacker Ray Lewis announce the pick in New York.

Ken Murray: After possibly losing tight end Rob Gronkowski when the Patriots jumped in front of them, the Ravens went for pass rusher Sergio Kindle from Texas. Kindle comes with caution flags -- he's got a knee condition and a rap sheet. Obviously, the Ravens passed him on the physical.

Ron Fritz: With needs at corner and tight end, the Ravens are stuck with another tweener who has a possible knee condition. Huh? Guess he was the highest guy on their board.

Edward Lee: Few people might expected this defensive end to fall into the Ravens' lap, and while he possesses great potential, four knee operations raises a bit of a red flag.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/04/instant_analysis_what_were_they_thinking.html

From the Ravens wesite...

Kindle’s exuberance drew laughs from the Baltimore reporters surrounding the speaker box at team headquarters, but his addition could be a serious jump start to the Ravens’ pressure.

A premier 3-4 outside linebacker, Kindle is a classic “tweener,” someone that can play with his hand in the dirt or from a two-point stance. At a lanky 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Kindle has the range to drop in coverage and the speed – he ran a 4.71-second in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day – to keep up with receivers.

The former Longhorn noted the Ravens’ success with hybrid players of his caliber, such as three-time Pro Bowler Terrell Suggs.

“I get to the quarterback. That’s my deal,” said Kindle. “I can cover guys if that’s what needs to happen, and I can play the run regardless of my size. I’m only 250-245, but I’ll take up a lineman and let Ray [Lewis] slide and make a tackle in the backfield.

“Getting to the quarterback is my specialty, and I can only get better learning from Suggs and guys like that. The sky is going to be the limit once I get there and get in the system.” On the field, Kindle has lofty aspirations and hopes to challenge fellow Texas product Brian Orakpo, last year’s first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins who posted an impressive 11 sacks as a rookie.

After playing linebacker and special teams for his first three seasons in Austin, Kindle actually took over for Orakpo as a senior, moving to more of a defensive end role.

“Brian Orakpo has more pass-rushing moves, but I have some more linebacker in me,” said Kindle. “But, with my pass-rushing ability, our ‘want to’ to get to the quarterback is just the same. Once I learn the system, he’s going to be competing for sacks with me.

“I’m getting Rookie of the Year. That’s my goal.”

Good grief!...this guy has red flags all over him...

Kindle also has narcolepsy and A.D.D.; conditions which DeCosta said did not play a part in the Ravens' war room discussions.

"If it was a concern, we probably wouldn't have picked him," DeCosta said.

On top of the medical issues, Kindle also has experienced some off-field incidents which have brought more of a cloud over him.

The first was a DUI in 2007: "I just made a poor decision of getting in the car after having some drinks, and that was my fault," Kindle said.

The second was another driving incident that took place in 2009: "You know, it just was a dumb decision on my part," Kindle said. "I was just texting and driving and having bad judgment."

http://masnsports.com/dan_kolko/2010/04/ravens-not-concerned-about-sergios-knee-character-issues.html

Still...he plays like a wild animal...got some Peter Boulware in him...atheletically...not mentally. With Suggs they could make a solid tandum of pass rushers...especially if Cody can help push the pocket in the middle.

Good grief!...this guy has red flags all over him...

Still...he plays like a wild animal...got some Peter Boulware in him...atheletically...not mentally. With Suggs they could make a solid tandum of pass rushers...especially if Cody can help push the pocket in the middle.

And, most importantly... we got both of these guys for 2nd-round prices, and we don't have to pay a 1st rounder. This will go a long way toward signing Ngata to a long-term deal, especially since we already paid Suggs last year and gave Boldin an extension.

At a wedding all night...just caught up with everything! All in all I would say this is becoming a much better draft then yesterday indicated. Still disgruntled over missing out on my personal dream pick in Bryant but we got 3 amazing value picks in Kindle, Cody, and Dickson! Ravens are definitely grading out well thus far!

Kindle and Dez could very well become the O and D ROYs.. And I find it difficult to blame the FO for this move, tons of upside. F... the red flags, and the FO believes in him. I love it.

As for fatso aka big tits, not a fan, but he was BPA and this is a statement, we will continue our rush D traditions, and this is a safe pick, he will contribute from game one and give Gregg some rest!

Is these picks an indication we will continue to be a 3-4/4-3 team more than 4-3?

Dickson migth be the most ready TE of a very talented TE class. Will he be a new Heap? Maybe not, but he will bring depth to the position, and it is the most important thing rigth now.

So youth to D and depth to Heap, looking good so fare. Still some good WRs around and actually here we could take a project with some injury concerns like Danorio Alexander and IR?

What about a FB?

Kindle also has narcolepsy and A.D.D.; conditions which DeCosta said did not play a part in the Ravens' war room discussions.

"If it was a concern, we probably wouldn't have picked him," DeCosta said.

On top of the medical issues, Kindle also has experienced some off-field incidents which have brought more of a cloud over him.

The first was a DUI in 2007: "I just made a poor decision of getting in the car after having some drinks, and that was my fault," Kindle said.

The second was another driving incident that took place in 2009: "You know, it just was a dumb decision on my part," Kindle said. "I was just texting and driving and having bad judgment."

[/i]

NICE!!! when did we start wearing orange and black stripes!!

Edited by cravnravn

I am not a big College football fan so I always have a hard time evaluating our picks right away but I gotta say that looking at the Cody's videos - the guy is a monster. I love the pick.

I like Kindle's attitude as well-I don't think motivation will be a problem for him. I just hope those knees hold up. If they do It'll be easier to get over the disappointment of New England sniping that Arizona Tight End

I am not a big College football fan so I always have a hard time evaluating our picks right away but I gotta say that looking at the Cody's videos - the guy is a monster. I love the pick.

I like Kindle's attitude as well-I don't think motivation will be a problem for him. I just hope those knees hold up. If they do It'll be easier to get over the disappointment of New England sniping that Arizona Tight End

Harbs said Kindle was #1 on our board going into day 2 so we may not have wanted Gronkowski.

I imagine... TOTAL POCKET COLLAPSE AND WRAP-SACKS