ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Hi

ScottishRaven

Hi guys, just signed up to your site. Thought i would introduce myself.

Even though i've been watching football over here in Scotland, UK, since i was a kid, I've never really been able to settle on a team to support.

However over the last few years i've been getting drawn more and more to the Ravens. Not sure why this has happened, think i just like the style of play and attitude of the players, plus yous fans always look crazy and as if yous are having a good time. From this day forward i now officialy declare myself a Ravens fan. So next time yous are at the game just think of me sitting miles away over here watching on Sky Sports or hunched over my laptop trying to find a decent stream of the game. ESPN have just announced that Monday night footballs returning to our screens in the uk after a year away so looking forward to seeing the Jets game.

Welcome ScottishRaven!

"Your choice reflects a deep wisdom inside."

yodoz2%20copy.jpg

The Ravens are loaded and ready to hunt this year....and you are right about the home game atmosphere...we go all out and have a blast. We have the 1st or 2nd best home field record.

Look forward to seeing you post this year.

"I know our beer might not be as good as yours but...have a brew...it's free."

pic31.jpg

Thanks vmax, yeah things are looking good this year. I like the look of the recieving core, a few good targets there. What do you think of the way the draft turned out? Got to admit this is the first year iv really taken an interest in the draft, mainly because i only really started watching college football last year. There for i can appriciate who the guys are and how they got to the level that they're at. In the past i think the importance of the draft passed me by a bit.

Just out of interest, do a lot of football fans travel to away games in the U.S? Over here we go to all the away football (soccer) games. However you can just about fit Scotland on the back of a beer mat (longest journey is a 6 hour round trip)so its not much of a comparison.

Howdy Scotty, welcome! Most of us are happy with the way the draft turned out, even though the Ravens' front office did something unprecedented in bailing out of round 1, they made good by securing more picks and drafted for both need and depth at several key positions, and for what will likely be very reasonable cost. And this, after getting a couple receivers via free agency that will definitely help Flacco and the offense develop into a real force in the AFC. Getting around to road games is tricky for most because of the vast expanse (and expense) that travelling in the U.S. negotiates (for instance, Scotland's approximate 83,000 sq. km. would fit inside of South Carolina) and also as our typical work-week is Monday-Friday I daresay it's only the brave, stupid, unemployed or independently wealthy that can go to many road sunday games.

• 1 month later...

Thanks vmax, yeah things are looking good this year. I like the look of the recieving core, a few good targets there. What do you think of the way the draft turned out? Got to admit this is the first year iv really taken an interest in the draft, mainly because i only really started watching college football last year. There for i can appriciate who the guys are and how they got to the level that they're at. In the past i think the importance of the draft passed me by a bit.

Just out of interest, do a lot of football fans travel to away games in the U.S? Over here we go to all the away football (soccer) games. However you can just about fit Scotland on the back of a beer mat (longest journey is a 6 hour round trip)so its not much of a comparison.

Welcome aboard ScottishRaven! It is good to see there is a Ravens fan internationally! Some teams' fans travel better then others, and location is also a big determinant. Like millz said, the United States, obviously, is very big and to travel long distances for just a Sunday afternoon is pretty unreasonable. Ravens fans have traditionally done very well showing up at away games in Miami and Nashville (Tennessee) against the Dolphins and Titans, respectfully. Of course, when we go up to play our archrival the Steelers in Pittsburgh we will get a good showing (Steelers fans do a great job of not selling their tickets to visiting fans though). Obviously there will be a lot of Ravens fans at games against the Redskins in DC, the Eagles in Philly, or the Panthers in Charlotte (North Carolina) because of the proximity, but we play these teams once every three years or so. Remember though, the Ravens were only inaugurated 14-years ago in 1996. So we do not have the rich history other clubs do, and thus our fan base is fairly local to Maryland.

Teams like the Packers, Steelers, 49ers, and Cowboys traditionally travel very well. These teams were dynasties in the 70s, 80s, and 90s respectively (and the Packers are popular because of Favre, obviously), so they have a strong foundation of fan bases aross the entire country. When the Steelers played the Redskins in DC back in 2008 there were actually more Steelers fans in the stadium then Skins fans.

Anyways, I hope this helps a little bit! Welcome again!