ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Great start for Wright

vmax

He pitched a shut out into the 8th inning. He looked...great.

Jones comes through with 2 RBI's in the 9th for insurance.

Meanwhile Maryland is beating Carolina 9-2 in the quarter finals. They look like they are well on their way to playing Hopkins next Saturday.

Maryland Living!

Really big guy with a an impressive two-seamer that was routinely hitting the upper 90s. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he has been a relief pitcher in the minors until this season. As such, he was always projected as a relief pitcher with closer potential and did not receive the hype some of our other pitching prospects have received (this might be a good thing if you're superstitious). However, yesterday he proved he can maintain his velocity late into games. With Bud pitching poorly, and Tillman a little hurt, it can't hurt to give Wright a chance. At the very least, Wright should be able to be a big contributor to our bullpen!

His minor league numbers via Baseball Reference say he's started every game in his minor league career except a few his rookie league season, so I don't know about that.

Looking at his minor league numbers, he is a high strikeout guy ... sometimes too high in the walks department. But except last year in AAA, when he had a 2.5 K/BB ratio, he's averaged a 3.5K/BB ratio every other year of his career. So his average 2.5 BBs per game means lots of Ks. If he can maintain his control, I'll take it.

His minor league numbers via Baseball Reference say he's started every game in his minor league career except a few his rookie league season, so I don't know about that.

Looking at his minor league numbers, he is a high strikeout guy ... sometimes too high in the walks department. But except last year in AAA, when he had a 2.5 K/BB ratio, he's averaged a 3.5K/BB ratio every other year of his career. So his average 2.5 BBs per game means lots of Ks. If he can maintain his control, I'll take it.

Good stuff! Thanks for the fact check :)

He's also a big Harry Potter fan so how can we not root for him?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-mike-wright-and-his-harry-potter-world-and-quotes-about-the-rookie-20150517-story.html

The Matusz issue will be interesting. They aren't really disputing it, though Buck has said everyone does it and he thinks the rule should be changed to acknowledge that pitchers need to grip the ball. But apparently the O's clubhouse was up in arms that the Marlins called them on it.

My first thought is that one or more Marlins pitchers was using something as well, and the O's didn't call them out so they are feeling snubbed/shorted... Especially by a front office guy turned manager this week.

Second thought is that they think it was legal - Smith on the Brewers said it was just sunscreen and rosin on his arm. Curious is Brian just had rosin with sweat or something, trying to bend the rule and setting up a conflict with the league.

Interesting nonetheless. And a shame we couldn't get a run in all game!