ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Game Recs

dc.

With some hours to myself this weekend, I'm going to be a slug.

Narrowed to three choices - all fairly old - that I'm considering. Unfortunately, prices are all the same ($20) as I missed any sales, I suppose:

Dishonored (heard it's in the vein of "Thief" which has always been my fav series)

Batmany - Arkham City (played Asylum and enjoyed it, didn't love it. Have heard good things)

Assassin's Creed III (I remember some of the convo you all had here, but not all of it... the series was kind of wearing on me last I played it a few years ago)

And... go. First recommendation may just win.

AC games are usually at least decent, some are great. Oddly enough I bought AC Unity used yesterday.

Not a huge Batman guy but Arkham City is fantastic. Took the good parts of Asylum and moved them to a large open world setting.

Dishonored was fun but not great. It was better than the new Thief but I thought that was ok too.

• 3 weeks later...

Why didn't any of you tell me if have to sit through like an hour of credits- in skip-able - in order to actually finish this game?

Biggest complaint with AC games remains: far too many longer than long cut scenes that don't add a lot... And then when they have the nerve to "load" game play, during which you literally walk for two seconds, before re-entering a 10 minute cut scene? Just, run the cut scenes... And then let me play. And cut them all in half.

I don't mind cut scenes in general, but they can be well done or tedious. I think ACs have always bordered on tedious, especially because they will line up the or four with almost no gameplay.

Spen, I agree - I remember #2 having a long ending too but my bet is you're remembering this one which had just a crazy amount of "movie" and then credits to end.

Other annoyance on an otherwise fun game: you don't even get to fight/kill the last guy (Lee). You chase him for two minutes, then watch cut scenes after cut scenes ... And then he dies in cut scene! All that game to not even get to be the one to stab him! Lol

Almost bought Dragon Age, Cleetz...

Great game and story, however it has very large maps with tedious side quests that have limited impact on the game's progress. You can skip maps and advance the story, but I'm the type of person who likes to complete everything in a game, therefore this game takes up a lot of time. Most importantly, cut scenes are skipable :)

I've beaten the previous two Dragon Ages so I really enjoy the game and story. I'm a big fan of games like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Final Fantasy.

Sounds similar to AC in terms of sure quests, etc. I usually finish the main game, then go back to the rest... But then I feel like I've missed something!

Sounds cool... Next I have a few dollars (and hours) I will investigate.

AC3 is one of the weaker stories IMO. Connors father and Achilles are far more interesting characters to base the game around then a whiny Connor. Enzio and Altiar just seemed like stronger stories. Also too is the setting, colonial America just isn't as visually interesting as Italy and Jerusalem. The game is still solid with the addition of ship combat and fortresses. The homestead missions add a rpg element. The ending is very anticlimactic like you said. The BIGGEST problem with this series is every game is rushed to meet an xmas release they can't finish the best possible product. I feel they had a better ending but couldn't render it fast enough so you get a 2min chase scene as an ending. The company just couldn't build a new AC game from the ground up in under a year.

I don't mind cut scenes in general, but they can be well done or tedious. I think ACs have always bordered on tedious, especially because they will line up the or four with almost no gameplay.

Spen, I agree - I remember #2 having a long ending too but my bet is you're remembering this one which had just a crazy amount of "movie" and then credits to end.

Other annoyance on an otherwise fun game: you don't even get to fight/kill the last guy (Lee). You chase him for two minutes, then watch cut scenes after cut scenes ... And then he dies in cut scene! All that game to not even get to be the one to stab him! Lol

Yep, you're right. My post from another thread here a couple years ago:

Connor was cool. The long prologue as Dad was slow to me. Part of it was my fault. I didn't power up everything in the present as I played so I had to do them all at the end. That was a lot of cut scenes to watch at one time so that seemed long.

I liked the homestead missions.

The ending was tedious.

AC3 is one of the weaker stories IMO. Connors father and Achilles are far more interesting characters to base the game around then a whiny Connor. Enzio and Altiar just seemed like stronger stories. Also too is the setting, colonial America just isn't as visually interesting as Italy and Jerusalem. The game is still solid with the addition of ship combat and fortresses. The homestead missions add a rpg element. The ending is very anticlimactic like you said. The BIGGEST problem with this series is every game is rushed to meet an xmas release they can't finish the best possible product. I feel they had a better ending but couldn't render it fast enough so you get a 2min chase scene as an ending. The company just couldn't build a new AC game from the ground up in under a year.

I disagree on Connor and the setting, but understand the view. As a history junky,I loved exploring dinner if those areas - though yes, a bit more plain than 15th century Italy. But I really liked Connor as a character - though not all of the story around him. I didn't much care for Achilles, he struck me as an unneeded "mentor." I don't really remember as much mentorship in the earlier games.

I wish there was some continuation of this story into the resettlement, though looks like only the epilogue touches on this.

I have seen word of the newest game being set in American slave era? I think modern editions could be nicely set in all kinds of environments - Holocaust, Russian Revolution, Apartheid, China's Revolution... I'll probably always be there games behind though.

The next game is set in Victorian England I believe. It should be interesting what turn of the century gadgets they'll make. Achilles seemed interesting since he was black, owned a large chuck of land,and an assassin. A whole back story of whether he was an escaped slave and sought revenge may make an interesting story.

Just read up on how far behind I am on AC games... I thought black flag was just a build on to AC3, but apparently not...

So after Colonial period, there is Black Flag in same period as pirates, Freedom Cry which is an add-on about slave era, Unity in the French Rev (had no idea that one happened), Chronicles which first installment is in China 1200s but later installments coming in Russia and India, and now Syndicate in Victorian England on the way... Given the name Syndicate, is this going to be capitalists/imperialists versus unions and Marxists?

I liked Black Flag.

Unity initially got terrible reviews but a lot of them were because the game was buggy at release. Ign, or someone, revisited it months later after numerous patches and gave it a decent rating. I bought it used a couple weeks ago but haven't started.

Been playing the game of the year reissue of Shadows Of Mordor.

Do you play PC or console?

I do all on pc and has gotten into to downloads over old CDs. But while stream is still charging $40 for a download of unity, the CD is $12. Sorry, steam.

Just a tip top anyone who does games via

PC

I do all on pc and has gotten into to downloads over old CDs. But while stream is still charging $40 for a download of unity, the CD is $12. Sorry, steam.

PC

Almost always console (ps4 now) for me. Occasionally I get something for PC if it's only on PC. I think Left 4 Dead was the last one. Or Dragon Age.

I like buying the physical game instead of just downloaded versions. I like the resale value.

PC

It's the same way for digital games off Xbox Live. For a game that's been out awhile, Microsoft charges full price for the digital copy while the physical copy can be $20 less on Amazon. Maybe Microsoft forgets to update their prices, or it's the deal they have with the developers, I dunno lol

I am sure just like with Kindle ebooks, there is some claim about the expense of storing and delivering e-titles. I just don't buy it.

I bought Steam titles mainly when they were on sale and convenient. Probably will stay that way.

If I had the time to game at ask, maybe I'd get a console and buy some titles... For now, one or two games a year in two week spurts is all I got!

Personally I've always been a console gamer. PC games are more numerous and better IMO but my biggest problem growing up was my pc's could never keep up with growing system requirements. You buy a consul copy it'll work no fuss. My first PC was a HP from Montgomery Ward that ran on windows 3.11 and was impossible for a kid who was 10 to understand DOS commands.

Yeah - that's my biggest concern right now. PC from 2012, just ran AC3 (from 2012) without issue. Can it run AC4 and beyond? Probably not as cleanly... and definitely not forever. Sigh.