ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thoughts on the game

Robjr83

This is just some observations from a meaningless game take it for what's worth.

Positives:

Campanaro looked good but boy is he a time bomb with injuries.

Carl Davis looks like a great Ozzie mid round pick

The young TEs: Holy Shit that Maxx Williams 4th and 20...also Boyle with several solid grabs.

Tali looked good and drove with power

Negatives

The secondary....I know the starters weren't playing but that Trawick TD was horrible and he could easily be a starting safety with an injury

Didn't seem like much of a pass rush from the Dline. Davis got penitration up the middle but the DEs seemed non existent.

The ending was a feel good story but Renner seemed to have no real juice on the ball.

Drew Brees didn't play at all.

Carl Davis is the steal of the entire draft as the most dominant player on the field. Third straight

defensive gem in a row drafted by Ozzie in last 2 years.

Maxx Williams and Nick Boyle kicked ass at end of the game. Maxx with 4th and 20 catch but still had 12 yards to gain with man on his back after diving over a guy as he carried him to first down that set

up the win. Earlier he missed sure TD on a ball Owen Daniels made many catches on last year. Stan White said Maxx is only 20 and has a lot of upside but has to learn to make that catch. Then he showed that

upside on 4th and 20. He was the best weapon on the field so you go to your best weapons and

Ravens did and he delivered.

Ravens have best 1-2-3 RB punch in NFL. Tally impressed running thru huge lanes by the

1st string o-line. Had 53 yards on about a dozen carries. Damn, Ravens lose

Ray Rice and get Forsett who only played 2 downs tonight by design and Tally and Buck.

Buck Allen ran hard and kept legs moving after being hit and also carried people after getting hit.

Before the game HARBs said he is excited to see him and said he has great vision.

Waller caught one.

Campy scored big TD in front of home town fans.

Kendrick Lewis played well.

First drive by first offense was best ever in Ravens pre-season game. Joe on top of game.

Trestman installed shot gun offense that looked good.

First string secondary played well but scrubs lost the game until the heroics of rookie QB

in final 2 mins. Secondary still a concern if injuries occur.

O-line was monstrous. You can tell great coaching job by Juan Castillo.

Mosley making progress in 2d year going side line to side line ala Ray Lewis.

Zack Orr another undrafted find by Ozzie at ILB made some plays in 2d half with scrubs.

Zadarius Smith who made Dupree go in college had good game tonight setting the edge.

Ravens defense set the edge well in first qtr before scrubs went in.

Shazier the guy Pissburgh drafted ahead of Mosley was called a bust on national radio saying half

the teams in the league score on him at will. Last year before hurt, Pitta carried him 10 yards on

his back. Piss passed on Mosley.

After reading my post above, see the Carl Davis and Mike Preston threads. They predicted this.

Even Mikie was right saying Boyle will surprise fans by making plays and will get that chance this

year. He's also the best blocking TE we have.

Gilmore missed a block on a rookie ILB. Joe would have been sacked but the rookie didnt fix

his eyes in the right direction and missed him. A veteran would have sacked Joe.

The defensive starting line did get pressure, consistantly, up the middle. Lawrence Guy (not the new Guy) was constantly in the back field getting pressure off the egde & or up the middle requiring double teams as the game went on. Davis got tv credit for a couple of tackles Guy actually made.

The offensive line looks solid, a good 7 maybe 8 deep.

The secondary, eh, Brees wasn't playing, but they still looked horrible at this point, no depth at all.

The line backers, including the starters, still cannot cover, still do not get enough depth in their drops because they bite too hard on play action..... At this point in their careers, they should all have learned this simple action.

Recievers look promissing, little seperation, thus all the passes to the backs. Nice to see the tight ends get a lot of work, they all had good days catching, running routes & blocking. Very happy with that group.

The defensive starting line did get pressure, consistantly, up the middle. Lawrence Guy (not the new Guy) was constantly in the back field getting pressure off the egde & or up the middle requiring double teams as the game went on. Davis got tv credit for a couple of tackles Guy actually made.

The secondary, eh, Brees wasn't playing, but they still looked horrible at this point, no depth at all.

The line backers, including the starters, still cannot cover, still do not get enough depth in their drops because they bite too hard on play action..... At this point in their careers, they should all have learned this simple action.

Recievers look promissing, little seperation, thus all the passes to the backs. Nice to see the tight ends get a lot of work, they all had good days catching, running routes & blocking. Very happy with that group.

The starters played 2 series and didn't give up a first down. what trouble did the linebackers have covering?

We've been posting thru all the mini camps and training camps that Trestman will go to the RBs in passing

situations more than ever before here. Last year his RB, Marc Forte had more yards receiving than most receivers.

Only one Raven WR did better - SR as Forte had over 800 receiving as a back.

Sure enough, just like we said there was passing to the backs and they weren't dumps but designed plays.

I posted that Chicago had the highest scoring offense in the league last year and already we scored 30 points last night in first pre-season. Some think Buck Allen was drafted more for his passing skills than running skills.

Look for more designed passes to the RBs.

The starters played 2 series and didn't give up a first down. what trouble did the linebackers have covering?

Look who the Saints had playing qb..... The tight ends were open over the middle from start to finish. The crossing routes were open from start to finish. But for the starters, the defensive line got pressure almost constantly to flush & or rush the burger flippers they had playing quarterback so as to not give him a chance to make the throws.

Once the starters went out, the immediate backs ups, 2nd string, gave up chunks over the middle, missed tackles, took poor angles, mis read plays and these are vets playing second string.

Depth at line backer does not exist currently....

• Upvote 1

I agree the lack of depth in the 2nd/3rd levels is troubling. These aren't kids fresh out of college but vets who should have more football IQ. The backup secondary who we really need with Webb/Smith still on the mend looked like the same unit getting carved up by Brady last year.

Look who the Saints had playing qb..... The tight ends were open over the middle from start to finish. The crossing routes were open from start to finish. But for the starters, the defensive line got pressure almost constantly to flush & or rush the burger flippers they had playing quarterback so as to not give him a chance to make the throws.

Once the starters went out, the immediate backs ups, 2nd string, gave up chunks over the middle, missed tackles, took poor angles, mis read plays and these are vets playing second string.

Depth at line backer does not exist currently....

I understand your critique and agree. However, how many true three down ILBs are there in the league? You can probably count on a single hand the amount of guys in the league that can legitimately fill the run, play sideline-to-sideline, then not bite the play action and get back to cover the middle of the field. Kuechly, David, Levy... And I'm already running out of names (Bowman pre-injury?).

What I'm saying is this is a problem all teams have. This is why the pistol QB's were able to take the league by storm in 2013. Most MLBs weren't good enough to play the run, respect the play action, and then get back to cover the middle of the field. Defenses had to adjust their whole schemes to help out the MLBs. There's a reason why MLBs are a dime a dozen, lots of guys can play the run, very few can cover.

Great post.

I hate to ask a dumb question but is Flacco a pistol QB. Not sure if I understand the term. I'm old school.

I was just referring to the formation (RB lines up behind the QB in shotgun) that helped some of the run first QBs like RG3 and Colin Kappernick have instant success. They used playaction to attack the middle of the field because the linebackers couldn't get back fast enough after biting on the playaction. QBs were successful because it limited decision making and got them easy throws for big gains. Defenses eventually adjusted. Ironically, pocket passers like Peyton Manning were able to incorporate some of the playactions concepts and are today successfully using them.

No mention of the Saint's QB. (#4). This guy is outstanding. He made alot of Raven defenders look pretty bad. Surely will be Brees' replacement. Just saying.

Funny you bring him up, that's Ryan Griffin. He's from Tulane. I was an equipment manager for the football team when he was a freshman. He was a top, pro-style QB recruit from California, in the same class as Luck and Pryor. When he came in he was extremely raw, struggled to even throw a spiral. The next offseason he lost weight, become more athletic, and threw a much tighter spiral. The coaching situation at Tulane was a mess until Griffin's senior year when they hired the Saints' WR coach. The new coach implemented the Saints offense, Griffin picked it up in no time and thrived. I maintain if he had another year at Tulane in that same system he would have been a top passer in the NCAA. The Saints picked him up as an undrafted rookie because he already knew the offense.

I like Griffin a lot as a QB. He's extremely smart, has size, and throws a good ball. I'm not sure where he fits into their long-term plans after they drafted Garrett Grayson in the third round. Grayson was regarded by many as the third best QB in this year's draft. However, Griffin has been playing in a pro-style offense since he was in high school, has learned behind Drew Brees and Sean Payton the past two years, and has a high football IQ. He will get a chance eventually. He's very popular with Saints fans. He's seen as a hometown kid as he went to Tulane.

Overall I thought it was a good performance by the offense. The line we have is really something. I even saw Ryan Jensen blocking in the second level like Yanda does and i haven't thought much of Jensen until last night. Kudos to Castillo. Joe too. I think they executed very well on offense.

Defensive depth, as has been mentioned here, is a problem area but what concerns me more is the lackluster play of the secondary. Now, Jimmy Smith didn't play at all (did Webby? I know he didn't start) and you have to factor that into it. Still...

I've got the game on DVR and am rewatching it. Man that O-line is beastly!

Shaub is definitely 2 steps above Tyrod. He's inconsistent but I think he could win a game or two for us if needed.

Campanaro has a ton of talent. Just hoping he stays healthy.

Maxx's 4th and 20 was right out of NFL Films.

We need Perriman. Badly. The possession guys we have aren't getting separation and there's no down field threat. If Perriman doesn't practice by the next pre-season game I think he has a serious injury.

I was just referring to the formation (RB lines up behind the QB in shotgun) that helped some of the run first QBs like RG3 and Colin Kappernick have instant success. They used playaction to attack the middle of the field because the linebackers couldn't get back fast enough after biting on the playaction. QBs were successful because it limited decision making and got them easy throws for big gains. Defenses eventually adjusted. Ironically, pocket passers like Peyton Manning were able to incorporate some of the playactions concepts and are today successfully using them.

OK, thanks man.

We beat KAP and the pistol in the SB and Ngata knocked RG3 out. His back up beat our pourous

defense in OT. Ravens made POs 5 yrs in a row w/o using it and 6 of 7 years and will make it

again this year.

Playaction goes back to 60s and 70s but Joe didn't use as much of it til Kubes came last year.

CAM was criticized a lot for not using it. Billick would have beaten Indy in 06 POs if

McNair had used it. Indy knew where ball was going, up the middle, and was waiting

for it. They left DEM WILLs all alone in end zone. A play action would have sucked

Indy to the middle and McNair could have hit Wills all alone but Billick isn't an offensive

guru.

This year Trestman installed the shot gun which was used more than before and thus

the great offensive show last night.

Joe is still a pocket passer while RG3 languishes at bottom of pile. In Denver on the miracle

play Oher gets beat and his man almost sacked Joe but he steps up into the pocket

and drills it to JJ for the win. Joe has a ring. KAP doesn't.

That's old school football - 101.

OK, thanks man.

We beat KAP and the pistol in the SB and Ngata knocked RG3 out. His back up beat our pourous

defense in OT. Ravens made POs 5 yrs in a row w/o using it and 6 of 7 years and will make it

again this year.

Playaction goes back to 60s and 70s but Joe didn't use as much of it til Kubes came last year.

CAM was criticized a lot for not using it. Billick would have beaten Indy in 06 POs if

McNair had used it. Indy knew where ball was going, up the middle, and was waiting

for it. They left DEM WILLs all alone in end zone. A play action would have sucked

Indy to the middle and McNair could have hit Wills all alone but Billick isn't an offensive

guru.

This year Trestman installed the shot gun which was used more than before and thus

the great offensive show last night.

Joe is still a pocket passer while RG3 languishes at bottom of pile. In Denver on the miracle

play Oher gets beat and his man almost sacked Joe but he steps up into the pocket

and drills it to JJ for the win. Joe has a ring. KAP doesn't.

That's old school football - 101.

Correction: ( 1 ) Play action is as old as single wing formations, double wing formations, and leather helmets with no face guards. ( 2 ) Pure pocket passers are a thing of the past. Mobile QB's are trending.

Waller really looked good in the game. Yeah, he messed a route up, but showed his quickness and hands; he is a keeper.

Carter, quick & fast, nice. But he scares me. He doesn't catch the ball clean and, when he ran with it, they were almost able to nock it out, his hands are not very strong.

It is a shame the Saints imployed the kick it to Kentucky logic on kick offs, would love to have seen Asa and Deandre get more chances.

The coverage teams are a work in progress, some lucky tackles saved even bigger returns, but that is to be expected with mostly young & hungry guys looking ot make the roster.

They don't think of staying in their lane as making the play.

This is my first chance to comment since the game Friday night. I've got to say it felt great to be there on a beautiful summer evening with my son. I almost left in the 3rd quarter because it was boring and sloppy, but the exciting ending was worth going to work on 3 hours sleep. :gorave:

Remember: this is the first pre season game so expectations shouldn't be too high. Limited playbook and lot's of units playing together for the first time.

Certainly Joe and the starting O looked good. Tucker's Tucker. The defensive starters looked good, even minus Smith and Webb.

Hey! Schaub looked damn good. Consider the supporting cast. Then he had his obligatory Schaub moment where he must throw into tight coverage with the defender knowing it's coming his way. But the receiver didn't run that route right or come back for the ball while Schaub was eye balling the CB to make sure that he knew that he was going to throw it.

Pointer had more bright spots than low. He showed promise. Davis surprised me playing most of the game. He held up well and anchored the line. Rating? Stud in the making. :thumbup:

Kapron-Lewis Moore??? :nono:

Vaughn??? :nono:

Greenwood??? :nono:

Nobody in the secondary can shed blocks and tackle. Teams will exploit this and run around the edge all day long if Suggs and Upshaw don't hold containment. This is really not good. Only Pointer was around the ball.

Trawick....his head is not in the game. Levine and Walker?....not much hope there. Jackson...hurt again.

As mentioned, the LB's can't cover....especially the middle of the field. Where were the safeties? Z Smith showed some promise....can't give him stud-in-the-making marks yet.

Simply put...the WR's couldn't gain separation or get open. If Perriman flops and Marlon Brown doesn't progress then this will be a dink and dunk offense facing 8-9 in the box.

The Ravens have 3 good TE's. Happy Gilmore is set for a great season. Boyle is a steal. The man can get open and make the hard catch. So Boyle and Gilmore block well and both can catch. Williams dropped a sure TD but on that 4th and 20 play, we saw why on 77% of his college receptions, he either scored a TD or got a first down. I also saw him pushing his man up field on a running play

The back up O line did decent in pass protection but they could not open any running lanes. What Taliaferro and Buck got, they got on their own. I was very pleased with both RB's. You can see Trestman wants the ball in their hands as receivers...same as a running play only the LB's have to play honest or get burned.

Lot of negatives there but again it's the first preseason game and very early in the development of this team and their depth. Guys are thinking too much and slow to react because they are still learning the playbook, their roles and how to work with their teammates.

The Ravens have a monster opening 4 game mountain to climb. They need to get it together fast. Faster than the Broncos....who they will crush! :gorave:

Edited by vmax